Nepal Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Jan 8, 2004
Hi
Anyone is familar going to Nepal? We kind of planning is needed? Any info on this?
Thanks

http://photonick2004.multiply.com/

My Nepal trip was in Dec 2007. Went to Kathmandu for 3 days to secure a guide before heading to Pokkhara by flight and then into Annapurna region. I didn't head up Annapurna by to Poon Hill (3210m). 2 days of 60 degree slopes uphill and 2 days down. Afterwhich, I went back to Kathmandu by bus (8hr + traffic jam).

Nepalese Rupee can be exchanged at the airport (kill throat) or at your hotel. Importantly book your hotel from Singapore before going. Ask your hotel to introduce a reliable guide. They will charge everything in US$. My trip up Poon Hill was about US$640 (including the flight). All makan and housing paid by guide to their locals. Makan is not a problem up in the hills. I was eating fried rice with my extra sunny-side up and Masala tea (must try). You can get pizza, spegetti up in the hills. Only thing is, it is more expensive as you ascend.

Do get a jab before leaving. I forgot that during my trip but I was very careful not to even sip the tap water while brushing my teeth. Hotels there can be trusted to take care of your main luggage for the few days you go up hiking. Of course you have to return and stay there towards the end of your trip. Try getting a 4star and above hotel while in Thamel (Kathmandu).

Winter starts in December. It is also climbing season. No one climbs in June as the rains brings out leeches also. Temperature ranges but while you are climbing up, you need a long sleeve and a thin fleece. Fleece can be bought from Kathmandu like any other hiking equipment for S$5. No you didn't read wrongly. It is S$5. It get really freezing at night (in the hills) to sub 0. So you will need down jackets to survive. Pants wise, get a good pair of running tights under your jeans. Nobody ever bathes up in the hill. You'll be a hero if you do.

Training for the trip is simple. Some light jogging and climbing will do. The guides will stop and wait while you pant for breadth. :D

Hope those info is sufficient. If you want to ask for more info, message me in multiply.com
I don't CS that frequently. Anyway I'm planning to go there again in June.

Nick

Last edited:
hi nick,

could u pls give us a rough total expenditure figure of your 2007 nepal trip?

and what season would it be in June? isn't that roughly summer? then it would rain and the leeches would come out?

thnks for advice. :)

Nameste,

Paid a total of $2500 for the whole trip. June is summer where it usually rain. Definitely leeches will befriend you.

Singapore $ to Nepalese Rupee is roughly 1:40

Up in the hills, there will be Maoist Army who will ask for "Donation" of NRupee $100 per person (foreigner) per day of hike. Although your guide would have paid for the hiking tax, just pay the Maoist Army and keep the receipt. They will check and sign on it along the way. They are known to send their fellows to follow you and steal equipment leaving you stranded up in the mountains.

Poon hill is about 5 times the height of our tallest building here in Singapore. So a bit of determination is needed as you tire out durng the climb. If you are not climbing, Kathmandu is a good place for photography. Imagine 15million people squeezing into a city the size of Singapore. People sleeping on the streets will keep your camera busy. Pokkhara is more friendly.

Silkair flies direct to Kathmandu. But landing is a problem when the clouds lowers and covers the airport.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi.. is nov a good time to visit nepal ??? was thinking to go nepal for a long time.. but no kakis..

Singapore $ to Nepalese Rupee is roughly 1:40

Up in the hills, there will be Maoist Army who will ask for "Donation" of NRupee $100 per person (foreigner) per day of hike. Although your guide would have paid for the hiking tax, just pay the Maoist Army and keep the receipt. They will check and sign on it along the way. They are known to send their fellows to follow you and steal equipment leaving you stranded up in the mountains.

No such thing already... The Maoist already overthrow the monarchy & formed the new Nepalese govt in last yr's elections.
SGD to NR was 1:45 last yr.

Last edited:
hey guys, malaysia photography magazine 《摄影人》 is Organizing nepal trip from 21 Nov 2009 - 29 Nov 2009.. anyone interested? i might be going to sign up but if i go alone then very lonely leh.. think they need 20 pple to go and currently they got 5 already confirm liao.. anyone ??? the full package is RM3500= SGD1470 but 1 bad thing is have to board the plane frm KL... mean frm sg take bus or plane to KL then frm there take plane to nepal.. anyone???

hey guys, malaysia photography magazine 《摄影人》 is Organizing nepal trip from 21 Nov 2009 - 29 Nov 2009.. anyone interested? i might be going to sign up but if i go alone then very lonely leh.. think they need 20 pple to go and currently they got 5 already confirm liao.. anyone ??? the full package is RM3500= SGD1470 but 1 bad thing is have to board the plane frm KL... mean frm sg take bus or plane to KL then frm there take plane to nepal.. anyone???

Do you have more details? eg a website to check how to sign up, cost, itinerary, etc. Thanks. :)

A link of photo taken by my senior a few yrs ago when he join 《摄影人》to nepal.. makes me always feel like going!

http://www.pbase.com/shien592/nepal

anyone care to share some toilet tips? (especially for women)

coz i read on books that Nepal's toilet system is not very advanced and may need to do it in the wild at times. :confused:

Just got back from Nepal today at 8.30pm. I went backpacking with my hubby and just relied on Lonely Planet to get around...It is a very picturesque place but I was unlucky as the whole entire week was so cloudy and I didn't get to see any clear mountains at all & it rained almost everyday for this past week. =(
Better read up or google more before u go else u will get a culture shock.

this is cheap! does it cover airfare as well?

actually, it is no-sweat to travel to KL to board the flight. it is so convenient to go up to KL by bus. :)

this is cheap! does it cover airfare as well?

actually, it is no-sweat to travel to KL to board the flight. it is so convenient to go up to KL by bus. :)

yeap.. SGD1470 include air tix (round trip frm KL-Nepal), the transport in nepal, breakfast, hotel and some entrance fee!

For those that went to Nepal, what camera gear did you bring? What did you find useful and not so much? Did you bring a tripod, monopod, notebook? What camera bag did you use?

Thanks in advance!

Take a budget airline to KL. Should be affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.