Nepal trip: Anyone interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Hi,

Would like to roll the ball again to see if anyone interested in a trip to Nepal for about 8D7N or longer. Here is some info provided by wong_se who proposed this trip to me:

==========by wong_se==============
I have almost gathered all the information with me and had been corresponding with the local contact, prefer to use local tour guide in Kathmadu rather than via SIngapore agent.

Price, itineray etc.... what I need is a group or partner.

it would be a 8D7N Nepal trip. Preferably not too long since taking 2wk leave may not be an option for everyone.

Fly Thai Airway to Kathmandu. Transit in Bangkok for 2hour

Ticket : SGD650 (exclude airport tax and insurance)
Local tour : USD250 (exclude visa and food, but include a local tour, local transportationa and accomodation)

on the way, we can opt to choose to stay at Bangkok for few days (individual preference). It can be easily arranged. At own cost. Thai airway is very flexible.

The best time to travel is Oct-Nov, begining of the dry season. Wether is cool, air is most visible and clean at this time.
============================

I prefer a trip during Aug-Sep due to my other travel plans in this year. Aarrrhhh... must work harder to get more money since so many attractive stuff waiting for me...

Anyone?

June - Sep is Nepal raining season. It really rains alot and very often. Look like the best time to visit there would be from Oct onwards. And it is not too cold at night during Oct. Attached is FYI.

Rain Kathmandu (1300m)
(mm) High Low
Jan 16.8 19 1
Feb 26.6 20 4
Mar 31.4 24 7
Apr 62.8 27 11
May 69.2 29 15
June 285.6 29 19
July 318.6 28 20
Aug 360.0 28 20
Sep 365.0 27 18
Oct 63.3 26 13
Nov 13.1 23 7
Dec 3.8 20 2

Would love to join. Have to know the definite dates though before I can confirm.

do not have any exact date. It is not yet a confirmed tour.

I will definately be going by this year. Myself would be ok for anydate. but preferably beginning oct (right after raining season but before it turns too cool)

Post at this forum to look for partner (currently without one), even better if we could work out a small group.

Due to the number of word limitation for message, i could only give u a brief itineray.

Day 01:
Arriving at afternoon. Evening- Cultural program and welcomed dinner.

Day 02:
Full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley--- 3 queen cities of Kantipur, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur.

Day 03:
Morning explore the village surroundings on foot. Evening : horse riding to the village

Day 04: drive to Royal Chitwan National Park for Jungle safari trip.

Day 05:
Observing the wild lives at Royal Chitwan National Park.

Day 06:
Morning: Wildlife seeing, boating in the river for the reptiles, wood walk,
Evening : Drive back to Kathmandu

Day 07:
Full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley

Day 08:
Returning to Singapore or stop by Bangkok (individual preference) I had been there many many times. Have lots of local friends. Can help u guys to arrange to go to Ayutthaya (Ancient city) for photo taking. Those ruined palace ("Wat") really look alike the one in Tomb Raider.

If there is enough ppl who are interested, we can arrange to meet up during SEED for further detail.

I'm keen. But also thinking of the Annapurna east trek too. Does your contact in Nepal do this trek? I'm also thinking of Oct due to weather.

No mountain trekking? Any pictures to show roughly what it looks like?

Sputnik and 10Der, let's discuss here since both of you are interested.

If u intend to go to Annapurna, u need to travel to Pokhara after arriving at Kathmandu, either by road ( 6-7 hours ) or by local flight (not too expensive).

Would u like to join us for Kathmandu-Chitwan tour, then u could go for 8 days Annapurna Sanctuary trek. Check out at http://www.buddhatreks.com/nepal/trekking/index.htm

that's why I suggest that for those who are interested, state your preference andwe can make a date to meet.

Some may prefer mountain trekking, some may prefer Chitwan jungle elephant ride for wildlife shooting, some may even think of a climb all the way up to Mt Everest (remember to bring along the national flag as well)

No doubt we have to compromise each other and pls bear in mind that we are going there for a short trip. a trekking tour, (real trekking tour) may need few days. and what u can shoot is mountain, mountain and mountain. My suggest itineray would be going through the village, palace, square, national park, will give u a good variety of different shoots, and with different adventure experience, ie, horse riding to the village, elephant ride in Royal Chitwan National Park (liek Amazing Race), real wildlife seeing (not night Safari one), boating in the river for the reptiles.

Considering the weather, July-Sep is really heavy raining season, like this morning. It is too dangerous to do trekking with this kind of weather, not to mention that it is also very hard to keep our equipment dry, (unless u aer shooting with DC with water proof casing) and limited opportunies to shoot due to low visibility level because heavy rain at 1400m above sea level would be very misty.

The schedule is a prototype. We can make changes if necessary. ie, instead of Day 03: explore the village surroundings on foot. , we can do a trekking to the nearest mountain. or instead of Day 06: Wildlife seeing, boating in the river for the reptiles, wood walk, we can opt to do a trekking at natioan park.

Most importantly, I am trying to make this trip as a normal trip + opportunies to shoot at Kingdom of Nepal. It is not meant to be a photo shooting trip.

Btw, Visa entry- we could apply the Visa when landed on Nepal Airport. On the way back, if anyone want to stop by bangkok, visa is not needed unless u dun hold Asean countries passport.

wong_se: u did a great job, thanks! I will confirm my availability ASAP. Right now I know there will be a presentation in my project in October, so I have to make sure no conflict of the schedule.

I am no expert on photographying like u , Tom. But I am a bit more towards travelling. Organizing a tour and provide as much as info as possible, take in consideration of different concerns and interest might be my strength :D

Very interest :p

Please let me know of any update. I think the program a bit too much for 8 days, I don't mind going for a lot more days than that. BTW, if it is just a plain Trekking and shooting trip, I'll seriously consider joining in the fun. :rbounce:

Wong Se - Can u give more details on transportation and accomodation? Can I have the email address of the Nepal contact to check on the trekking portion. I would like a combination of the Chitwan sightseeing and the moutain trek. There is a local agent that is doing this but they will eventually tie up with a Nepalese agent. Thanks.

I had been in contact with several local agents. So far, I prefer http://www.buddhatreks.com.

They response promptly and will tailor-made an itinerary according to your appetite.

Hazardman, yr PM box is full. pls discuss here.

response to kingpin question on transportation and accomodation.

If we have a small group, ie, 2 to 4.will travel by 4WD.
If we have a bigger group, by mini bus, something like BusPlus, of course it is much older, dun expect much from third world country. FYI, Average monthly income at there is about SGD50.

Accomodation as according to my suggested itinerary
Day 01: Kathmandu - Hotel Vaishali
Day 02: Nagarkot - Hotel View Point
Day 03: Kathmandu - Hotel Vaishali
Day 04: Chitwan - Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency
Day 05: Chitwan - Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency
Day 06: Kathmandu - Hotel Vaishali
Day 07: Kathmandu - Hotel Vaishali
Day 08: Departure from Kathmandu

Hotel Vaishali in Kathmandu:
This is 4 stars standard Hotel with swimming pool, Air Condition room, double/twin bedroom, Private bathroom, Television in room, Telephone in room.

Hotel View Point in Nagarkot:
Located at the top of hill therefore it offers an excellence view of Himalayas and landscape of middle hill range. This 3 stars categorized hotel with double/twin bedroom, Private bathroom, Television in room, Telephone in room.

Baghmara Wildlife Resort or Rhino Regency in Chitwan:
This is standard Hotel with swimming pool, Air Condition room, double/twin bedroom, Private bathroom, Television in room, Telephone in room.

If we are going odd number of people such as 3 or 5 people in the group and would like to use single room. It cost US$ 60.00 Per Person as single supplement.

Pls post any enquiries here , I will try my best to answer u.

Originally posted by wong_se
No doubt we have to compromise each other and pls bear in mind that we are going there for a short trip. a trekking tour, (real trekking tour) may need few days. and what u can shoot is mountain, mountain and mountain.
Thats far from the truth... a trekking tour provides wonderful landscape opportunities and equally fantastic people photography!! The villagers in the mountains (esp children) make delightful subjects....
Of course, if you're into street photography, leave some time for Kathmandu....
Btw, Visa entry- we could apply the Visa when landed on Nepal Airport. ...
and thats a whopping USD$30 ... #$!@*(^

..NuTs..

Hi nuts,

No need to raise an arguement here. No doubt trekking provide other shooting opportunities.

I am trying to put more adventure experience in the trip beside of trekking.

Whether it is a mere trekking or no-trekking-at-all trip would both give many chances to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.