Nepal: Trekking to Annurpurna Base Camp - Any tips?

barracuda

Jul 14, 2002
Singapore
www.fearstar.blogspot.com
Hi All, going for a trekking trip to Nepal this coming Dec. Planning to trek to Annurpurna Base Camp, so want to get some tips from the experienced bros here.

2 Questions:

1. Do the guest houses along the route have power points for me to recharge my camera battery?

2. What kind of temperature should I expect? I am only expecting around 0C, but not very sure whether I need to prepare for a lower temperature.

Many thanks in advance :)

Dec can be cold, goes to negative in the night. The guest houses along the route apparently charge somewhere around Rs.100-300 per hour for charging your devices.:thumbsd:

Depending on where u go certain places might not have chargin places. Best to bring a grip and use the batt pack. Thats what i did and i got litium batteries to power the came.

Hi,

If you plan to trek up to the base camp, it will be very cold at night. The temperature may not be very low, but because lacking of hot water for shower, guess houses are not weather sealed etc, you will be very cold at night. It is better to hire down jacket and sleeping bag when you are in Pokkara. A normal sleeping bag or 0DegC jacket will not be sufficient at night. However, when trekking in daylight, a normal jacket or even a t-shirt will be good enough.

After Chomrong, there will be no more power point for you to charge your batteries. I suggest you fully charge your Li-ion battery everyday especially at chomrong, and start to use AA batteries after chomrong. Reserve Li-ion battery until you reach MBC. All my AA batteries (Energizer e2) failed to function after a few minutes of usage at the base camp. Li-ion battery can survive in cold temp for much longer time. Store your unused batteries in warm place, like inside your jacket.

Also, bring your sunglasses. The sunlight reflection on ice is irritating. :)

Last edited:
Also
- warm up camera and batteries before using. This will reduce the amount of power used
- turn off the LCD screen if you have one and use eye viewer

I was there Dec 07, don't think things would have changed that much since then.

As mentioned, it's unlikely you get to charge your batteries once you've started the climb from Chomrong, so make sure you charge every single one you have at Chomrong. There might have been one more stop after Chomrong where we got access to a power socket (I can't be sure now), but depending on your schedule we could be stopping at different guest houses. Most guest houses along the route before the climb from Chomrong will have power points, though you may need to share with other travelers staying there. I was alternating between 2 sets of Eneloops and they served me just fine. My friend was on a Canon system and he had 2-3 Li batteries, he was ok too.

Most of the time in the lower altitudes it can be quite hot under the sun, but it will definitely be cold at night. At the base camps (and maybe other high points like Poon Hill) it was below 0 at night and in the morning. You can borrow blankets from the guest houses to cover over your sleeping bags, it helps. Another trick is to get a full bottle of hot water (thermos won't work, you need a hardy plastic bottle like the Nelgene type) at night, and slip it into the sleeping bag to help keep you warm while you sleep.

Bring enough cash if you want to pamper yourself a bit along the way, you can actually eat pretty well at some of the guest houses, and keep snacking and sipping hot tea at every break if you want to. You have to pay for hot water (both for showering and for drinking) at some areas, especially nearer the base camps. I didn't have to pay for charging batteries though (or maybe I just chose not to charge at those places, can't remember).

Hope you have fun, I know I did :)

Was there Nov'08, it was snowin on the day i was @ ABC so i recommend packin for below 0 if u are travellin dec.

Before chomron we encountered a lot of rain , so i recommend rain wear too and definitely an umbrella is useful as the terrain will allow for it.

Brother Gengh is right, bring $$ is always good hahaha. Bring altitude sickness pill also, get @ pokkhara, especially if there are novice in the group, i have seen ladies and men alike succumb to this and its not enjoyable.

Enjoy yourself, i definitely did and should be goin back next year for lake tilicho! :)

some of my pics =)

http://vintanck.multiply.com/photos/album/15/View_the_top

cheers,
kilkenny

Thanks for all the replies. It helps a lot.

kilkenny: you have nice pics there, esp those of the peak

Some more questions:

1. Any recommendation for accommodations in Kathmandu & Pokhara? How about trekking companies?

2. Any recommendation for trekking pants? Where can I get a good one (at a reasonable price) in Singapore?

Many thanks:)

Thanks!

I am sure u can do better, these were taken with p&s hahaha

Trekking pants ah......northface was having sale 3 weeks ago not sure if still on. I guess if on the move, long john plus normal trek pants is okie. My guide was in jeans and normal shoe. I was in berms all the way till chomrong hahah but think for the period u are going, prob not recommended.

For shoes wise, a good one definitely recommended. I wore my old SAF boots, serve me well but still gave way end of the trip.

Shoes you have to get in Singapore but for other gear like down, jackets, trekking pants etc, Kathmandu have a lot of cheap ones, they are definitely pirated but if you don't mind think the material is still okie.

Cheers,
kilkenny

What rating of sleeping bags do you need for nov/dec? How much are the sleeping bags in Kathmandu?

What rating of sleeping bags do you need for nov/dec? How much are the sleeping bags in Kathmandu?

pretty cheap.. keeping in mind that 99% of them are fake North Face

pretty cheap.. keeping in mind that 99% of them are fake North Face

Do they keep you warm, when you sleep? Cheap is one thing, but being cold at night is not something you want to skimp money on. :)

Go get a silk liner. Its a sleeping bag liner. But make sure its silk. Makes alot of difference.

Do they keep you warm, when you sleep? Cheap is one thing, but being cold at night is not something you want to skimp money on. :)

well i guess they're not so bad

If you want to buy trekking clothes and equipment in Singapore, can try these shops:
Adventure 21
Camper's Corner
They sell good stuff, but not cheap at all.

For a more budget selection, can check out any of the Sports Connection shops. I think one of the better ones with a very big range of stuff to choose from is the one in Shaw Towers. At the same time can also go to TK to get photography stuff. :)

Buying in Kathmandu or Pokhara can be a bit hit and miss. Like everyone says, it's all fake stuff, and the quality is uncertain. My wife bought a parka that served her very well, but our walking sticks bought from the same shop were really crappy. So it's up to you if you want to try your luck there.

army market on beach road has some adventure equipment... not really cold weather but general supplies and trekking boots...

make sure you have some nice boots for trekking.. I use the Vasque Gore Tex Mountaineering boots

Hi All, going for a trekking trip to Nepal this coming Dec. Planning to trek to Annurpurna Base Camp, so want to get some tips from the experienced bros here.

2 Questions:

1. Do the guest houses along the route have power points for me to recharge my camera battery?

2. What kind of temperature should I expect? I am only expecting around 0C, but not very sure whether I need to prepare for a lower temperature.

Many thanks in advance :)

Lucky you. I was in Nepal, Sep 04 but did Everest Base Camp. Beautiful place.

They are right about the batteries, best to check the operating temperature of the batts - the worst thing to happen is run out of batteries when the scenery is !@#$#@! beautiful. I know, had that happened to me when looking at Everest. Lucky, the batteries pulled through. :p

Expect weather in winter to be very cold. Sleeping bags and silk lining - don't skimp. Trekking shoes - I used my army boots. What I realized is the sherpas/nepalese were wearing normal cotton socks and trackshoes for climbing.

Can get fake north face jackets in Kathmandu or ask your guide - rental is okay too but always do an equipment/clothing check. Altitude sickness pills and water purification tablets - you don't want to get food poisoning up there. Besides, the outhouse is too cold to poop. I find that a little commonsense goes a very long way. Moisturize your skin, the windchill is very bad especially past 4000m - go slow and don't be in a hurry.

Enjoy yourself. :D

Okay show off time

4049664100_68f52cceec_b.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. It helps a lot.
Some more questions:

1. Any recommendation for accommodations in Kathmandu & Pokhara? How about trekking companies?

2. Any recommendation for trekking pants? Where can I get a good one (at a reasonable price) in Singapore?

Many thanks:)

Can try Thamel in Kathmandu. They have decent homestay there - Thamel Guesthouse. Have to check my Lonely Planet.

Are you going solo? If you are, hire a guide. Back then, I paid USD12 a day. You may not need a porter if you travel light. PM me if you need contact for a guide.

As for trekking pants - i was using my Giordano dri-fit trekking pants and fleece pants only after 4000m but that's in late summer. You have to layer your clothes - maybe thermal undies, a dri-fit sweatpants and finally, fleece pants. I got mine from OG. Cheap and good. LOL

Again thanks for all the replies. They are all so useful. It is my first time going trekking, going to Nepal, so want to gather as much info as I can. :)

sebianos: your photo makes me even more looking forward to the trip. :)