Nepal Itinerary - Any comments?

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Will be going to Nepal from 6-20 Nov 2012 with a friend.

Here's the proposed itinerary from the agent (Earthbound Expeditions):

Day Itinerary
Day 1, Tue Arrival in Kathmandu airport transfer to hotel - Hang out in Thamel
Day 2, Wed Sightseeing around Kathmandu valley - Hindu Temple at Pashupatinath, Biggest Buddha Stupa at Boudhanath - Monkey Temple Swayambhu + Kathmandu Durbar Square . B
Day 3, Thu Kathmandu Flight to Pokhara and do some sightseeing in Pokhara - Phewa Lake, the Davis Fall, the gorge of the Seti River, etc. B
Day 4, Fri Pokhara drive to Nayapul trek Tirkhedunga (1545 m). B, L, D
Day 5, Sat Tirkhedunga trek to Ghorepani (2855 m) B, L, D
Day 6, Sun Visit Poon Hill (3193 m) trek to Tadapani (2540 m) B, L, D
Day 7, Mon Tadapani trek to Ghandrunk (1940m) B, L, D
Day 8, Tue Ghandruk trek to Pothana (1900m) B, L, D
Day 9, Wed Pothana trek to Dhampus Phedi drive to Pokhara (820m), stay in Pokhara B, L
Day 10, Thu Sight seeing in Pokhara - Begnas Lake, Rupa Lake, Mahendra Gupha etc. B
Day 11, Fri Pokhara drive to Rafting starting point, do the rafting and overnight stay in River bank in a tented camp – it is fun. B, L, D
Day 12, Sat After breakfast drive to Chitwan National Park (jungle safari overnight) . B, L, D
Day 13, Sun Full day in Chitwan National Park - Elephant rides, jungle walk, canoeing, breeding centre visit . B, L, D
Day 14, Mon Drive or fly back to Kathmandu from Chitwan National Park, we would have more free time to roam around, evening join Nepalese cultural show and dinner . B, D
Day 15, Tue Drive to Airport for flying home . B

B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner

Charges: 847USD pax for 15 days, including accommodation, flight, transport, licences, fees, etc

Day 5 seems very exhausting? I wonder if its feasible to have the time and energy go up Poon Hill for sunset shoot as well.

Any comments?
:dunno:

Day 5 seems very exhausting? I wonder if its feasible to have the time and energy go up Poon Hill for sunset shoot as well.

Any comments?
:dunno:

The flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara might be dependent on the weather. I have experienced waiting at the airport for 4 hours then all the airlines decided that all flights to be cancelled for the day due to fog. So do have a backup plan or buffer for such an event. Avoid taking the road to Pokhara. The highway turned out to be winding mountain road high up which will take 7 hours to reach Pokhara. Along the way, I see 2 smashed up buses. Just take the next day's flight if like me, you meet with poor visibility.

I thought that an early morning flight around the Himalayas range from Kathmandu will offer a beautiful view of Mt Everest and the surrounding mountains. Maybe you can check with your agent if any of your trekking route will offer you an equally stunning view. This flight starts at 6.30am. Take the first flight for better visibility. Be warned that these flights do have records of crashes. But the view of the mountains sticking out from the clouds below is astonishing.

I did not do any trekking during my short stay there. But looking at the altitude, I think your agent got it just right by ascending slowly. Whether you can do more depends on your fitness and whether you can acclimatize to the altitude.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi
During November months, sky is mostly clear and fog starts in December months, so do not worry for your KTM- Pokhara flight, further please do not forget to take a mountain flight from Kathmandu .

have a nice time in Kathmandu/Pokhara.

Thanks
Alok

Namaste..... :)

I will be back Annapurna/Pokhara around a month time and depending on the sky else I am taking a 5~6 hrs bus ride to Annapurna.

At alt 2500m to 3000m you need to be slow and not pushing yourself too hard. ;)
Take note of your breathing and heart beat rate.

Oct/Nov is peak season so need to secure the flight as early as possible.
BTW, none of our ATM card work there do secure your belonging and $$.

I am not sure your package include porter do check with the agency, I have them to help carry some of my load.

Last edited:
It's gonna be an amazing trip! I visited Nepal last year. Have fun!

looks good, i didnt trek in Pokhara side so i cant give comments on that but general rules of trekking still applies and it is very important to take it easy and take plenty of rest along the way and to acclimatise to the altitude.

I was told that Poon Hill trek is easier but still dont take anything for granted especially when it comes to trekking.

Nepal is an amazing place, enjoy and have fun there! :)

Not doing Annapurna base camp trek? Is this your first time in Nepal?

It would depend on how experienced Trekker you are. At high altitude, you need to acclimatize. Your itenary looks fine.

itinerary looks fine. u should not have problems with that altitude. just keep yourself hydrated.

rem to have some foreign currency, sg dollars accepted as well for the nepali visa on arrival. they do not accept their local currency when I was there in Mar. some travellers (dont understand y they had only local currency) actually had to change the local currency back into their own currency to get the visa.

Another plane crashed!

"The crash was the sixth fatal air accident in Nepal in the last two years and it raises fresh questions about safety in the impoverished Himalayan country, home to challenging weather, treacherous landing strips and often lax safety standards."

Most of the planes are old. Buddha Air uses Bleech 1900 and Yeti uses Jetstream 41 for mountain flights. Not sure about the others. So do buy your insurance before embarking on Nepal trips.

I am always amazed at the "low" rate of air incidents in Nepal considering the situation. Mountainous, short air fields, local pilots, maintainence challenges and the weather.

I got stranded at the airport for a good 4 hours late last year due to.. no given reason actually.

What tickled me most was, goodness.. the number of body checks i had to go through! *pengz* Think i was searched again and again (by a lady of course!) for a scary 4 times!!

I've the intention to go again end of this year actually. Hopefully by the time my decision is affirmed, there'll still be flights. OH. I LOVE NEPAL btw. :)

Enjoy your trekking!