Status
Not open for further replies.

firestone

Mar 2, 2003
West
www.redmonsoon.com
Hello,
Why ar?..
I have my linksys wireless router and adapter like 3m away from each other and my neighbours wireless signal, not enrypted btw..:), is just as strong,at times stronger than mine!

How can? :think:
Not one but 2 neighbours!...

firestone said:
Hello,
Why ar?..
I have my linksys wireless router and adapter like 3m away from each other and my neighbours wireless signal, not enrypted btw..:), is just as strong,at times stronger than mine!

How can? :think:
Not one but 2 neighbours!...

they went to buy a 14dbi ones.. den point at your direction... nice neighbours...

or... simply... both of them put the routers against your 2 walls...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
they went to buy a 14dbi ones.. den point at your direction... nice neighbours...

or... simply... both of them put the routers against your 2 walls...

muaahaaaa.... where's the place? i'm bringing my laptop there! ;p

another explanation is becos there's no encryption. when i turn on either WEP or WPA for my wireless router, the range drops to pathetic distance in my house too. nowadays, i turn off encryption, and rely on disable SSID broadcast and MAC filtering for security. not as reliable and secure as encryption. but, good enuf for my purposes. ;)

check if the antenna of your router is loose

and u may want to change the channel on both router and adapter to see if it helps

Other free internet surfing? :bsmilie:

ur router wad gen 1 *linksys* because theres a hack which allows u to spread ur router range to 100m instead onf the normal 10

i'm refering to 1st gen - 4th gen. 5th gen dont have hack.

Change your antenna. Really does wonders for the range. Most wifi routers (at least the D-link and Linksys ones I've used) only come with a 2 dBi one. An OEM 5 dBi antenna is only like $30 but the improvement is fantastic. My furthest comp used to have trouble even maintaining a connection reliably without getting disconnected (ie, 0 to 1 bar) but after changing the antenna it now gets about 2-3 bars (out of 5).

+evenstar said:
how do you mod the antenna? i'm thinking of changing my antenna if it's easy to do so (without my parent's knowledge...;p;p)

which brand is yours? if yours is linksys, might need to buy a pair...

Er, I must add that it isn't a lot of difference..eg mine 75%, there's abt same or 80%....

BTW, my signal strength is average 75%, is this normal?
But bare in mind this is almost 'line of sight'...

Tink I'll check my antenna as suggested..thks

But even if they use high-gain antenna whatsoever..through the walls so strong meh?...

I might as well cancel my connection use theirs right? haha...kidding kidding... anyone here stays Toh Guan by any chance, lol...There's always like average 6 connections near me, average x2 no encryption...:bsmilie:

firestone said:
Er, I must add that it isn't a lot of difference..eg mine 75%, there's abt same or 80%....

BTW, my signal strength is average 75%, is this normal?
But bare in mind this is almost 'line of sight'...

Tink I'll check my antenna as suggested..thks

But even if they use high-gain antenna whatsoever..through the walls so strong meh?...

I might as well cancel my connection use theirs right? haha...kidding kidding... anyone here stays Toh Guan by any chance, lol...There's always like average 6 connections near me, average x2 no encryption...:bsmilie:

if they place the unit just behind your wall, u think leh? den they buy the omni direction type, and point at your unit, thinking to prevent any radiation to them (ya some ppl are that *fill in the blank*)

anyway, my block here also got free internet connection, and i notice alot of ppl connect to it, cos i went into their router, den check, wah the list damn long...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
how many antenna 1?

i tot all linksys got 2? but even the WRT54G alone, there are already 4 or 5 revision.

btw, i got this huge 5dbi USB wireless dongle in car (just plug to your USB port and use), guess why ;p

gw-us54pro.gif
gw-us54pro_show.gif

Wai said:
i tot all linksys got 2? but even the WRT54G alone, there are already 4 or 5 revision.

btw, i got this huge 5dbi USB wireless dongle in car (just plug to your USB port and use), guess why ;p

gw-us54pro.gif
gw-us54pro_show.gif

tonight i go see your car again... btw your car interior damn spacious wor...

My area's networks are all secured when i last check; can count 15 :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.