Negative to digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer76

Apr 21, 2002
West
Hi everyone out there.. would like to know will those photo labs do negative to digital CD scanning without develpoing the prints? dat means i send in the roll of film then i get back only the negative n a photo CD.. :dunno:

Jer76 said:
Hi everyone out there.. would like to know will those photo labs do negative to digital CD scanning without develpoing the prints? dat means i send in the roll of film then i get back only the negative n a photo CD.. :dunno:

Why not? You just pay for the developing of the film (~$3.50) + the scanning fee (~$4-5). Most if not all labs do that :)

Yupz. Its something I believe a number of CSers do too. Some labs even give a free contact sheet print with your scan so I hear. :thumbsup:

But you may want to note that there are different levels of scans. Quality differs between the most basic 4R-sized scans (able to reprint up to 4R) and the best 10R scans. The higher the quality, the longer it takes to scan. And yes, the scanning is usually of very good quality if you go for high-quality. You get 20+Mb BMP files... or 2+Mb JPGs... or 600Kb JPGs...
:think:

oh okok thanks guys.. :D

So far I have only done this over at KT (Kim Tian) at HongLim Complex.
Costs $3/roll for developing only and scan at $3/roll for 4R based scanning including a CD.(each file about 700kb jpeg with free contact print per roll, about size of 4R )
The scans turn out to be good for normal viewing and web usage. I have printed a couple of 4R print from the scans and it seems good to me. But I have yet to compare the prints direct from the negatives and from the scans side by side.

If you want, i can send you a couple of image for your evaluation.
And yes, pls take note of Azure's remarks if you intend to use the scans for serious work and large prints.

Thanks meng.. i would greatly appreciate if u can send some samples to my email at j_e_r76@hotmail.com .. I recently had a roll developed and the shop ( SooKee Color @ far east plaza ) scanned my prints but they look real grainy.. i was using reala 100.. u can see a sample here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=43755 no sharpening applied..

it's normal if the price is not more than $10...higher res based scan will cost at least $10/roll most probably.
Let me know if you still want to compare the scans.
But when I send the scan for printing, it appears to be okie and no such problems for 4R prints
Jer76 said:
Thanks meng.. i would greatly appreciate if u can send some samples to my email at j_e_r76@hotmail.com .. I recently had a roll developed and the shop ( SooKee Color @ far east plaza ) scanned my prints but they look real grainy.. i was using reala 100.. u can see a sample here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=43755 no sharpening applied..

Where can you go for the better scans? I have tried Photo Finish (PPPPUUUUUUUIIIITTTT!!!!!!!!!) and Soo Kee (okay lah, the least that I would expect).

As what Azure mentioned, the higher res scans are better, but comes at a higher price. Over at KT, I forget whether it's 10R or 16R based scans cost $10/roll
Parchiao said:
Where can you go for the better scans? I have tried Photo Finish (PPPPUUUUUUUIIIITTTT!!!!!!!!!) and Soo Kee (okay lah, the least that I would expect).

Do a search in clubsnap on colorlab

4base and 10base scan

4base one develop + scanning is $13.50

Status
Not open for further replies.