Negative filing queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternatve

Dec 30, 2006
Hello all,

I am rather dissatisfied with the way I have been filing my negatives so I thought I would ask the seniors here for advise. My film sleeves stick out of the file and the possibility of damage and dust is high. Does anyone know where to get a file long enough to keep it all in? Also, what is the way you categories your film in it's negative sleeves and when it's scanned in as a digital file?

Would appreciate any and all advice from the people here.

Thanks in advance

Samuel

i store my negatives sleeves in a normal file folder, those hardcover sort. but this one has a box with it and is A3 size.
so no issue with sizing and dust. i got it from popular cpl of yrs ago.
i know of friends who keep filing cabinets for negatives also.

as for categorizing, i think everyone got their own method. not one is perfect.
after scanning and storing the negatives into the sleeves, i labelled the sleeve with the location and date using a casio labeller.
with the digital files, the file folder is also named after the location and date for consistency sake.
the rest of the info, i tagged into the exifs using lightroom.

Paterson negative file and sleeves are available from Bhphoto via the internet.

Anyone has a local substitute?

The problem is that the standard sized folders always leaves a bit of the negative sleeves poking out. Have not been able to find any covers at the stationers that will fit negative sleeves. I've been using Paterson files and sleeves for some 25+ years. The sleeves are made of a paper like semi transparent material which I have been told is better than the regular plastic sleeves which contains chemicals that apparently will, over time, affect films that come in contact with them. Don't know how reliable this info is but I've not encountered any issues with the Paterson sleeves and my black and white negatives so far.

The problem is that the standard sized folders always leaves a bit of the negative sleeves poking out. Have not been able to find any covers at the stationers that will fit negative sleeves. I've been using Paterson files and sleeves for some 25+ years. The sleeves are made of a paper like semi transparent material which I have been told is better than the regular plastic sleeves which contains chemicals that apparently will, over time, affect films that come in contact with them. Don't know how reliable this info is but I've not encountered any issues with the Paterson sleeves and my black and white negatives so far.

where did you buy the paterson sleeves?

I used to just put the negatives flat rather than filing them up. Same reason: it sticks out of the binder. But lately I have been going to Tokyo quite a bit, and Yodobashi Camera sells this printfile binders that are just nice. I have a lot of them and I use it to file up the negatives.

As for cataloging, each roll has a serial number. Say F00677 for Film roll number 677, and I increase the number for new rolls. Then for each frame scanned, I label it 00XX (since 35mm and 120 usually dont run to 100 frames! But extra zeros just in case you never know...). so my digital files are named F006770001 for the first frame of roll 677. And on the sleeve I just scribble some notes on the shot and date. I dont bother to put too much EXIF in lightroom after scanning. This works best for me after years of fine-tuning. There is not need for you to copy, as long as you can find the roll in stacks of 100s of rolls, you're good to go.

Last edited:
As for cataloging, each roll has a serial number. Say F00677 for Film roll number 677, and I increase the number for new rolls. Then for each frame scanned, I label it 00XX (since 35mm and 120 usually dont run to 100 frames! But extra zeros just in case you never know...). so my digital files are named F006770001 for the first frame of roll 677.

That's a great way to sort them digitally and have an easy reference to them in the files! :thumbsup:

Thank you for all your replies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.