needs recommendation on lens

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
hi all,

i am a dslr newbie

i will need a lens that can be used for taking moving people/object at a short distance-10m or so. i would like something that can do a close zoom to the upper body.
btw, do i need a lens with usm at that high price? as people sometimes walk at fast pace

i am planning to get the 50mm 1.8 as it just me $100. will it be gd for a noob to take gd pics from it?

thx alot
regards

It would help if you provided some specific information -- are you using a crop/full-frame DSLR, what lenses you have now, etc.
10m isn't really short distance. You wouldn't be able to get the crop you need with a 50mm lens. You'd need a tele or telezoom (55-250, 70-200).
USM or conventional micromotor? Up to you of course. Do your own cost-benefit analysis. I have a 90s Canon USM lens that is incredibly quick. Had a Sigma 70-300 before that -- good image quality, but AF was terrible!
BTW, 'people walking fast' 10m away should not be a problem -- bone up on your technique. If they are walking across your field of view, you will either need to keep them on the active focus point (or pre-focus). If they are walking towards/away from you, you can shoot with continuous AF (or pre-focus).

With no other information provided, I would recommend the 24-70/2.8L

i m deciding to get the 7D with the 15-135mm kit lens or the 17-85 IS USM lens as my starter kit. The price of these 2 kits have a $400-500 in difference. Thus not planning to get the 24-70/2.8L which is too Exp

By the way, will it be a better combination for me to get the body with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS compare over with the 2 kits??

But still thx for the recommendation so far

ErikaT said:
i m deciding to get the 7D with the 15-135mm kit lens or the 17-85 IS USM lens as my starter kit. The price of these 2 kits have a $400-500 in difference. Thus not planning to get the 24-70/2.8L which is too Exp

By the way, will it be a better combination for me to get the body with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS compare over with the 2 kits??

But still thx for the recommendation so far

I think you meant 18-135mm kit lens. The 17-85 should be replaced by the 15-85 if I am not wrong. Heard lots of good things about the 15-85. Quite a sharp lens and the 15mm wide end is very useful in landscape photography.

I think you'll save a lot more money now and in the long run if you just get the 24-70L so you don't need to end up buying a whole bunch of other lenses and have to sell them if you're not happy. :)

frankly speaking, i only have about 3k+/- to spend on everything, hoping to get the dry box and a lens hood also

I wish I have 3k to spend :cry:

ErikaT said:
frankly speaking, i only have about 3k+/- to spend on everything, hoping to get the dry box and a lens hood also

Go for 60d plus lens and you'll have alot more room to play with.

A set of used 7D + 17-55mm should be within ur budget.

some of my friends are telling me the same thing, go for 60d. However i m a person that wants to get something that can last, thus 7d will be a better choice for me.

on the other hand, i m not planning to get many lens

7 d with17-55 with cost about 2.5 k first hand

ErikaT said:
some of my friends are telling me the same thing, go for 60d. However i m a person that wants to get something that can last, thus 7d will be a better choice for me.

That's what I said when I started. Actually. That's what almost all the people here did. You only find you need a new lens as your needs change. Now you think you'll be happy with xyz but 3 months later you have 10 other things that you were sure you'll never get. :bsmilie:

If you already know what you want, you don't need any further advise now hey? ;)

ErikaT said:
7 d with17-55 with cost about 2.5 k first hand

Where to buy above at 2.5K?
Local Canon warranty set?

60D will last as much as the 7D unless you are doing acid test on them :)
You have not provided much information on the type of photography you are trying to do.
In fact it seems a bit like snooping or voyerism :)
10m is really quite far.
I'd recommend a 50-200mm if its really 10m. Can't you go nearer?
In fact, if you have $3k to spend, I'd recommend a 600D with a 70-200/2.8 and a Tamron 17-50/2.8

wow 1st of all thx for all the comments

10m will be the most i think...............can go closer till 3m

for the body, 600D i think it is not really suits me as i m planning to go for some F1 actions here

many shops sell 7d body with 17-55 IS at about 2.5k+/-

That's what I said when I started. Actually. That's what almost all the people here did. You only find you need a new lens as your needs change. Now you think you'll be happy with xyz but 3 months later you have 10 other things that you were sure you'll never get. :bsmilie:

If you already know what you want, you don't need any further advise now hey? ;)

wow you are under the line with my mum, thinking i will spend alots of $ on lens
actually i m just a simple person who wants to take clear pics of the people that i like

wow 1st of all thx for all the comments

10m will be the most i think...............can go closer till 3m

for the body, 600D i think it is not really suits me as i m planning to go for some F1 actions here

many shops sell 7d body with 17-55 IS at about 2.5k+/-

I think wat many are saying is 60D and not 600D. 60D is still a semi pro body that is pretty quick, but it is your choice if you think 7D works for you better.

As for the cost of 7D with 17-55mm IS cannot be 2.5k. I just got my 7D after many quotation from different shops (1 or 2 months ago), and that is only for body, and that had already cost me S$2200 (cheapest I can find in Funan). a 17-55mm IS would easily cost up to S$1500 (1st hand), and it was not offer as a kit lens to your camera. What I can think of is 18-55mm IS which is very cheap. And that combination will get you close to the S$2.5K mark.

Note that 18-55mm IS is no doubt a beautiful and great little lens, but its IQ is not as good as the 17-55mm f2.8 IS.

From what I know and would advise was for you to go for the 7D with 15-85mm lens, this lens is a great piece of work (heard lots and lots of favourable reviews on it), and the range covered would give you coverage for a wide range of photography... which will tie you through till you have polished your skills enough and think of getting better quality lens such as the 24-70mm L lens and the 70-200 f2.8L.

rhino123 said:
I think wat many are saying is 60D and not 600D. 60D is still a semi pro body that is pretty quick, but it is your choice if you think 7D works for you better.

As for the cost of 7D with 17-55mm IS cannot be 2.5k. I just got my 7D after many quotation from different shops (1 or 2 months ago), and that is only for body, and that had already cost me S$2200 (cheapest I can find in Funan). a 17-55mm IS would easily cost up to S$1500 (1st hand), and it was not offer as a kit lens to your camera. What I can think of is 18-55mm IS which is very cheap. And that combination will get you close to the S$2.5K mark.

Note that 18-55mm IS is no doubt a beautiful and great little lens, but its IQ is not as good as the 17-55mm f2.8 IS.

From what I know and would advise was for you to go for the 7D with 15-85mm lens, this lens is a great piece of work (heard lots and lots of favourable reviews on it), and the range covered would give you coverage for a wide range of photography... which will tie you through till you have polished your skills enough and think of getting better quality lens such as the 24-70mm L lens and the 70-200 f2.8L.

The 7d body at the camera workshop is $2100. :)

+1 for the 7d 15-85 setup as well. :)

The 7d body at the camera workshop is $2100. :)

Wat? Shxt... I always have this impression that camera workshop only sell 2nd hand products so I didn't bother calling them up for a quote... damnit!