Needs advise on filter

chicken chop

May 1, 2006
After reading threads about variable ND filter in this forum and watching numerous you tube video, I have decided to buy a Tiffen variable ND. But i need some advise on the size of the filter. Right now my lenses are either 62mm and 52mm filter size, should I buy a 62mm or should I buy a bigger size like 77mm to future proof? The price different is very big. :think:
As I have no experience in buying filter, any advise is much appreciated. Thank you.

This is the kind of thing that does not need external advice. It's all up to you. Your future proof is what? Six months? One year? Ten years? In that time, it's not like you won't be able to afford another ND filter.

After reading threads about variable ND filter in this forum and watching numerous you tube video, I have decided to buy a Tiffen variable ND. But i need some advise on the size of the filter. Right now my lenses are either 62mm and 52mm filter size, should I buy a 62mm or should I buy a bigger size like 77mm to future proof? The price different is very big. :think:
As I have no experience in buying filter, any advise is much appreciated. Thank you.

If I were to choose, I would buy a 77mm then use step up rings. This way, I can use one filter for all my lenses.

This is the kind of thing that does not need external advice. It's all up to you. Your future proof is what? Six months? One year? Ten years? In that time, it's not like you won't be able to afford another ND filter.

I am waiting for the rumor D600 ;p and if I'm changing body then I will have to change the lenses too... Therefore doesn't have any ideal of the filter size...

If I were to choose, I would buy a 77mm then use step up rings. This way, I can use one filter for all my lenses.

Since I have never use a step up ring before, will I get a vignetting if I put this filter with the step up over my Sigma 30mm lens? Is $235 for 77mm expensive? Or is anywhere selling cheaper? Thanks again.

I am waiting for the rumor D600 ;p and if I'm changing body then I will have to change the lenses too... Therefore doesn't have any ideal of the filter size...

Since I have never use a step up ring before, will I get a vignetting if I put this filter with the step up over my Sigma 30mm lens? Is $235 for 77mm expensive? Or is anywhere selling cheaper? Thanks again.

No, you won't have vignetting if you only use one step-up ring. I guess that's the average price for Tiffen.

All being said..it really depends on how u want it to be and how often you use..or u are more comfortable with which and what.
Yes..you can buy a 77mm for future proof like you said. But according to what u mention.. you dont have a 77mm lens yet. Do take note..some lens can be bigger than 77mm..

And..before you think or talk about future proof..many often one either get a better brand after using awhile or realize they dont use it often enough at all. (trust me..many are like that..)

All being said..it really depends on how u want it to be and how often you use..or u are more comfortable with which and what.
Yes..you can buy a 77mm for future proof like you said. But according to what u mention.. you dont have a 77mm lens yet. Do take note..some lens can be bigger than 77mm..

And..before you think or talk about future proof..many often one either get a better brand after using awhile or realize they dont use it often enough at all. (trust me..many are like that..)

My purpose is to try out the ND effects, and since i have no ideal what stop should i get and if I am going to get a separate 2,4 & 6,stop ND filter to try out, I believe the price is almost the same as buying one variable one. This the reason I choose to buy a variable one.
I can get a cheaper version too, but after reading the forum, most of the people here advise against the cheaper option due to color cast this filter cause.

though not common but there are lenses with filter thread that is larger than 77mm ;)

anyway since you have done your research, just go out and buy it and use it. unfortunately a lot of times you can never be sure as people are different, what works for you might not work for them. if anything just an excuse not to blame yourself if you regret it later ;p

if you go with the 77mm, a bit of overkill now but yup more future proof
if you go with 62mm one, save some money now. Next time upgrade need new body + lens etc cost will be in the 4 digits, the 100+ does not make much difference to the equation then, and also you would probably have earned $100+ worth of experience to make it worth it liao ;)

I'd just get the 77mm version and use ring adapters for the lenses.
( Same goes for my polarisers, clear filters, screw-on-ND filters )
But that is for me.

Ryan

Yeap, 2nd of Demonic Angelz. With that price, you can consider getting Lee Big Stopper 10 Stop. ND filter you usually need 8-10 stops.

Ever considered square slot in filters?

No;p it's too big and needs to carry separate filters. Although it has more expansion opportunity but I am a minimises, D3100 with a 30mm lens, SB400, remote trigger and a small table tripod is all I carry for daily or oversea travel. :bsmilie:

Ah sometime will only bring along my expo disc if I think I am going to dine at tricky restaurants:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
But since you're just trying out what ND effect looks like, no harm trying on Square filter. Tianya's filter is quite cheap to be used to try out though. I use Selens from ebay.

Care to share where you manage to get the 77mm Tiffen Vari-ND for $235?

My purpose is to try out the ND effects, and since i have no ideal what stop should i get and if I am going to get a separate 2,4 & 6,stop ND filter to try out, I believe the price is almost the same as buying one variable one. This the reason I choose to buy a variable one.
I can get a cheaper version too, but after reading the forum, most of the people here advise against the cheaper option due to color cast this filter cause.

Since your are just trying out, why not try a either a Cokin | Tianya | Hi-Tech| Kenko filter?

But since you're just trying out what ND effect looks like, no harm trying on Square filter. Tianya's filter is quite cheap to be used to try out though. I use Selens from ebay.

Since your are just trying out, why not try a either a Cokin | Tianya | Hi-Tech| Kenko filter?

The reason why i choose Tiffen:
1. I only pp via my iPad and don't know how to remove color cast:dunno:
2. I believe it's easier to sells off a better brand filter - WAIT... I'm a hoard-er:embrass: I don't sell off anythings :bsmilie::bsmilie::embrass:
3. Used it for videography- I saw Lok from DigitalRev often uses ND filter when shooting video & I am curious about the effects it has.

It is very good if you can get it at this price. Good Luck.
Thanks

Last edited:
3. Used it for videography- I saw Lok from DigitalRev often uses ND filter when shooting video & I am curious about the effects it has.

Videographers uses ND filters so that they can still use wide apertures when filming during very bright and harsh lighting conditions.

Videographers uses ND filters so that they can still use wide apertures when filming during very bright and harsh lighting conditions.

I see. I have already order the filter and now waiting to collect, thanks everyone for the advise.

But now I got a new question ;p when I tried to photograpy an embroidery piece through the glass I get a reflection, Can I eliminate this reflection by putting on a CPL filter?

Last edited: