Which lens for AD Wedding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
I already use a 50mm f/1.4, 10-20mm (occasionally), and mainly a 16-80mm on a body with a 1.5x crop factor.

What would be more useful next?

85mm f/1.4, or
135mm f/1.8?

Well, I'd say neither. The 50mm is already great, the 135mm is very "long reach".

I'd actually suggest a 11-18 wideangle.

But if it's only those 2... 135mm, since the 85mm is very close to the 50mm in reach.

Well, I'd say neither. The 50mm is already great, the 135mm is very "long reach".

I'd actually suggest a 11-18 wideangle.

But if it's only those 2... 135mm, since the 85mm is very close to the 50mm in reach.

Thanks for your input. I see that your lens line-up is quite similar to mine. The style of your photography, how/when do you use the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.4? How do they compare?

Thanks for your input. I see that your lens line-up is quite similar to mine. The style of your photography, how/when do you use the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.4? How do they compare?

Depends on how much room I have. Both are seriously sharp lenses, but if I will be shooting in cramped quarters, the 50mm is good; if I have a bit more room, the 85 comes out so I can really get great background bokeh.

I already use a 50mm f/1.4, 10-20mm (occasionally), and mainly a 16-80mm on a body with a 1.5x crop factor.

What would be more useful next?

85mm f/1.4, or
135mm f/1.8?

I think what you have should be good enough. 85mm may be a bit too long on 1.5x crop. 135mm would not give you a useful working distance. Unless your 16-80 can already do so, an alternative would be to get a Macro lens in the range of 55 - 105mm for objects like rings, flowers, tea cups, etc..

Yupp, like others have said, 85mm would be good for weddings I guess.

Since a wedding is a rather fast paced event, have you considered a zoom? They might not be as fast wide-open or give the best IQ (comparatively speaking), but they allow for a quick switch between focal lengths.

Since you use a crop body with 10-20 + 50mm, I think a good option is to go for the 70-200vr. If that's too expensive, and you don't really need the reach, I think that either of the 2 poll lenses will suit you. But since you have 80mm covered already, would a faster 85mm be of much importance to you (It might be, but I don't know what widest-aperture your zoom allows at 80mm).

Hope this help =)

Thanks for all your opinions! :)

I already have a zoom. A 16-80 f/3.5-4.5. Versatile and sharp, but just a bit harder to achieve depth of field effects. I've demo'ed the 85mm, and somehow, it just makes the subject pop out of the frame.

I'll probably settle for the 85mm. Now I've gotta sort out another problem - raising the funds for it! :p

135 may be a bit too tight. Unless you're intending to stand back, and shoot from a distance. Again, this would depend on how big the room is.

Not that it can't be done. I used 200 f2.8 before :bsmilie:

I would prefer having fast wide angle. Or something like WA prime. But choosing between 85 and 135, I'll take 85 f1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.