Need your opinion: In-car nav systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
Been toying with the idea of getting an in car nav system for my new car. Trouble is I can't seem to find any reviews of the locally available sets. Can anyone comment on such systems, especially if you regularly use one. A Malaysian database would be nice but not mandatory.

With my handheld GPS (Garmin E-trex Venture) I felt that Singapore's environment doesn't usually lend itself well to receiving GPS signals - the accuracy is usually fairly suspect on my handset, especially when you are in built-up areas. It takes quite a while obtain a fix, sometimes fails altogether. I am uncertain if newer GPS units are able to obtain a fix where mine doesn't though I do know that they are able to acquire a fix faster.

The basement of Sim Lim Towers contain a few shops that carry Garmin and Magellan GPS units, but I believe it may be cheaper to buy from the US.

I dun see why SG would need to have GPS sys in the cars. Get a map and read the signs would be easier right? GPS would only be worth if you live in larger countries and have lots of places that you wouldnt even go once a year.

The devices can be useful if you travel to other countries. Download a map and away you go. I've seen friends do that for European road trips and driving is a real breeze.

Well its hard to read a map and drive at the same time, especially if you are alone :p

TMC said:
I dun see why SG would need to have GPS sys in the cars. Get a map and read the signs would be easier right? GPS would only be worth if you live in larger countries and have lots of places that you wouldnt even go once a year.

vince123123 said:
Well its hard to read a map and drive at the same time, especially if you are alone :p

I do agree that its better in other countries even if it was just for basic orientation. I do it all the time - it becomes fairly intuitive (to read information off the screen). You'd be best advised to stop on the roadside and program your destination and route then stop the button pressing.

So do I :)

r32 said:
I do agree that its better in other countries even if it was just for basic orientation. I do it all the time - it becomes fairly intuitive (to read information off the screen). You'd be best advised to stop on the roadside and program your destination and route then stop the button pressing.

i think the best is to get a PDA and have foreign maps installed on to it.

east gear sells the gps transmitter and the maps for various countries, wait for sitex to come along, they shd be there selling them, and usually at a discount too.

i have tried out the software MAPKING 3D on a pda before. its darn accurate and it even warns u if ur travelling too fast. basically, rd limit was set to 60kmh and once i hit 65kmh, the warning came out!!!

usually during these it fairs, there will be a few booths selling gps. tibo is another popular one, however, it has many bad pts abt it.

Actually, the MAPKING 3D and the GPS units do have their flaws as well, and it isn't as accurate actually - I'm using one on a daily basis and sometimes the calibration is off, at cretain points I'm driving into buildings when I'm on the road!

That said, all I can say is that you have to use such GPS Nav software intelligently, if you follow it blindly, you won't be able to use it effectively. A certain measure of anticipation is required to use it fully to its advantage.

wainism said:
i think the best is to get a PDA and have foreign maps installed on to it.

east gear sells the gps transmitter and the maps for various countries, wait for sitex to come along, they shd be there selling them, and usually at a discount too.

i have tried out the software MAPKING 3D on a pda before. its darn accurate and it even warns u if ur travelling too fast. basically, rd limit was set to 60kmh and once i hit 65kmh, the warning came out!!!

usually during these it fairs, there will be a few booths selling gps. tibo is another popular one, however, it has many bad pts abt it.

if one is to completely rely on the gps satellites in a built-up area, it is highly possible that the paths and waypoints will be out, due to the multipath reflection of the signals in the tall buildings.

there are ways to counter this by using a dead-reckoning unit. have used the trimble placer. it consists of a gyroscopic sensor (similar to those used in IS glasses) and an odometer. the gyroscope provides directions while the odometer provides distance info.

when normal gps loses coverage, the dead-reckoning unit kicks into action and provides an accurate route of travel in places like CTE N/S tunnel or underground carparks.

I've used a Garmin c320 in Thailand, and based on this single-device experience, here are my thoughts :

1. The interface is very important, as you don't want to be distracted by multi-level menus, etc while driving. Garmin's was pretty good, with simple menus and clear diagrams. Ability to program waypoints would have been nice, but I guess you gotta spend a bit more, and have it panel-mounted as in an Airbus ;) ... you can sort of fudge it with the current interface, but it's not that intuitive.

2. Signal acquisition ... obviously you'd lose signals inside buildings and under flyovers, but sometimes multiple high buildings will block the signals as well. The Garmin was ok in this respect, it lost signals but reacquired pretty quickly.

3. Positioning ... I'd see a PDA-type system having a disadvantage here, it's nice to have it on the periphery of your line of sight, ie. suctioned on the front windscreen, so you don't have to really take your eyes off the road when you're checking. Contrast this to something mounted to, say, your dashboard. Having said that, you'd probably have to mount the PDA to the windscreen anyway for the antenna to work.

4. Software ... the software in the Garmin by default took me to the shortest route most of the time no matter what I programmed. And in Bangkok, at times it took me to the most congested routes ... on one trip I took 30 minutes to get somewhere (as I was familiar with that direction and went on the expressways), but going back took me 2 hours (could not get back on the expressway, plus jam).

I'd see it of limited use in Singapore, but usage in other countries will be good. It recalculates routes for you if you miss turns, etc, and given time, will get you to your destination no matter what.

Another bit of bother is that you need to bring it with you when you leave the car, otherwise it's perhaps a bit too much of a temptation to sticky-fingered louts.

HTH

Hi, anyone interested in getting the Malaysia map from TiBO GPS, I am getting one. We can share the cost. PM me.

I'm interested in the Msia one for Mapking though.

Pinocchio said:
Hi, anyone interested in getting the Malaysia map from TiBO GPS, I am getting one. We can share the cost. PM me.

Map Quest is a great thing for GPS, I guess, in Europe and the US, they have established a very good network of various city maps, so for those countries it works great, turn by turn, directions.Its a beautiful thing when you see this thing work.

Until, someone or company is willing to spend the time, money and energy to have these maps made available to the masses, particularly for Asia. We will be, probably, have to be satified with what we can get.

From what I understand of the GPS units you are tracked by at least 3 satelites, so if you lose one you are still tracked by other satelites, unless you are going into a tunnel, where you loose all signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.