Need wide angle prime lens for D3100 - or upgrade to D7000?

milesandcoltrane

Nov 9, 2010
Hi bros!

Need your help.

I have a D3100 with 35mm F1.8G lens only right now.

I love shooting with primes and love this lens but very often find myself needing to go wider. (Architecture and landscapes mostly)

I used to shoot 24mm on film which was pretty good for my needs but on 1.6x I'd need a 16.

Love primes but Nikon's range of primes for wide angle are too expensive - at least for the G series lenses. The non-G lenses are more affordable but won't focus on my D3100 =(

Been looking at the Tokina 11-16 F2.8 even if its a zoom given its good reputation but that too won't AF on my D3100 =(

What are my options??? I guess AF is not that much of a priority since MF is not too hard at this focal range - BUT it would be great to have.

Been frustrated for a long time with the lack of options and was thinking of selling the D3100 and upgrading to the D7000...

Both AFS 10-24 and AFS 12-24 will AF with your D3100. For lesser money, Tokina 12-24 (with built in motor version) or the Sigma 10-22 f/4-5.6 HSM will also AF with your D3100. All for DX camera.

Hope it helps.

Jamesf said:
Both AFS 10-24 and AFS 12-24 will AF with your D3100. For lesser money, Tokina 12-24 (with built in motor version) or the Sigma 10-22 f/4-5.6 HSM will also AF with your D3100. All for DX camera.

Hope it helps.

Just a minor correction, it's 10-20mm for the sigma. On top of that, you dun really need AF for UWA.

Just a minor correction, it's 10-20mm for the sigma. On top of that, you dun really need AF for UWA.

I assume you use hyperfocal distancing and the distance scale?

Thanks for all the inputs guys! Yeah I've read that AF is not really needed for UWA when using the distance scales on some lenses that have those markings available. But for this to work successfully I would need to be able to accurately judge distances yeah? Some practice will help me with this I reckon.

With that in mind I could consider the Tokina 11-16 yeah? I would use the lens for street and night photography as well and the fast 2.8 would be really handy. Nikon's 12-24 is quite pricey and its f4 only so its harder to justify the expense. Will def look into all the options yall have listed.

Looks like I can't go prime sigh =(

Would older primes work? Since AF is not a big issue. Will look up the compatibility charts available online to see if metering etc would be an issue.

Thanks for all the inputs guys! Yeah I've read that AF is not really needed for UWA when using the distance scales on some lenses that have those markings available. But for this to work successfully I would need to be able to accurately judge distances yeah? Some practice will help me with this I reckon.

With that in mind I could consider the Tokina 11-16 yeah? I would use the lens for street and night photography as well and the fast 2.8 would be really handy. Nikon's 12-24 is quite pricey and its f4 only so its harder to justify the expense. Will def look into all the options yall have listed.

Would older primes work? Since AF is not a big issue. Will look up the compatibility charts available online to see if metering etc would be an issue.

The crop factor for Nikon APS-C is 1.5 not 1.6. AF is always good to have even in UWA. For you, you might want to consider the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. And it is cheaper than the Tokina too.

BTW, primes in the range of 14 to 17mm are not cheap, even for the old Ai/AiS ones.

Thanks for all the wise words of advice bros. Hmm will try and borrow and try out these lenses before I make up my mind. It would really nice if a small light prime was available though. With zooms esp, heavier/clunkier ones, I'm prone to leaving them at home - reminder from my gf when I said I want to buy new lens :embrass:

Right now I'm toying with the idea of the X100 also. But that's for another forum.

We'll see how it goes la. Really can't decided on which route to stick to :confused:

Thanks for all the wise words of advice bros. Hmm will try and borrow and try out these lenses before I make up my mind. It would really nice if a small light prime was available though. With zooms esp, heavier/clunkier ones, I'm prone to leaving them at home - reminder from my gf when I said I want to buy new lens :embrass:

Right now I'm toying with the idea of the X100 also. But that's for another forum.

We'll see how it goes la. Really can't decided on which route to stick to :confused:

Primes below 20mm are usually not small and light.

oh yeah thats true man. the 14mm monster is especially huge. guess one has to strike a balance between FOV and size/weight considerations.

What about the Samyang 14mm f2.8? Looks like a solid performer relative to price and it has a 21mm FOV on your Nikon.

What about the Samyang 14mm f2.8? Looks like a solid performer relative to price and it has a 21mm FOV on your Nikon.

It is not exactly small and light either. But a very very good lens for the FF body.

Sigma 8-16mm. Won't go wrong with this but it's not a prime and won't work on FF bodies.

This is not a good advice as I don't see many adopters. You might want to give Sigma 12-24mm a try, or wait for its newer version to release. It's the widest UWA that can fit on a FF camera I ever know.

This is not a good advice as I don't see many adopters. You might want to give Sigma 12-24mm a try, or wait for its newer version to release. It's the widest UWA that can fit on a FF camera I ever know.
TS using DX leh, the Sigma 10-20 would be a better option as it is wider and cheaper.

@TS: here are some options you can consider if you must have AF
-Nikon 10-24
-Nikon 12-24
-Tokina 12-24 PRO DX II
-Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
-Sigma 8-16

If you don't mind MF:
-Tokina 11-16
-Tokina 12-24 (sure, the 11-16 may receive better reviews, but I find the 12-24 to have a more practical range than the 11-16)

Well, since there's a choice of the 12-24mm from Nikon, my idea is y not just get a FX lens if the price diff is not a lot. And from what I'd seen, it seems that the Sigma version 12-24mm DG is cheaper than Nikon's 12-24mm DX. You know, the reasoning of future upgradability, sweet spot, etc etc.

I use my Samyang 14 f2.8 (w chip in it) on both FF and DX....I don't miss tha Auto and its a lot lighter than the Nikon 14-24 f2.8...Also 1/4 the price...Mine is super sharp wide open!!!;)

Cheers

Last edited:

D3100 cannot meter with ai-s or ai lens, u need d200, d300 and above etc.