need wedding coverage tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntim

Feb 13, 2002
I'm not too sure if I posted in the correct forum though.

I volunteered to cover my friend's wedding ROM (not customary) this month for free, mainly because I was just curious in the wedding process and also wanted to practice shooting. Reminded her that quality is not my forte though. I'll be shooting alongside her relatives and her best pals.

I'll be using a Fuji 602z with Metz32-1 and Omnibounce.

I wish to take this chance to document this event like a photojournal instead of taking family-type snapshots.. etc from the bride's place to ROM to the documents and post reception if any. I've never seen a ROM being conducted nor actually functioned behind the scenes in a wedding before so I'd really like to get some guidance from you guys on how to go about doing it.

One of my major faults is that I'm too trigger happy, treating the DC like a static Videocam. I think I really need to think about the shots that I want to capture, compose in my mind before taking the (good) shot.

So.. 2 qns.
What would I be expecting in the wedding ROM? I would be starting at her place though, then moving on to ROM at FC.

What kind of settings should I employ for the various stages of the ceremony and how appropriately should I use them? For eg.. when should I use Omnibounce? Should I use flash when they are exchanging rings?

Actually I'm also quite interested to hear from eadwine as he covered a wedding recently.

I remembered several threads a while back sharing tips.. Some were saying during a certain ceremony make sure that you start shooting with enough batteries.. the poster had to change his batteries and missed that impt moment.

upz..:embrass:

Since you're using the same cam as me, and I've covered a friend's ROM 3 months back, maybe this might help:

I was using my Vivitar 285HV with Omni-bounce on all the while. At the waiting area (2nd floor) in ROM, the lighting is generally quite poor. Ceiling was real high too. So I titled my flash head around 45 degrees and shoot. I was using Manual mode, F2.8, 1/125, ISO 160/200. Take care not to underexpose or overexpose the subjects since our cam has no TTL hotshoe. Do a few test shots 1st to confirm the results. My results were not so ideal. Background was a little dark. Subjects were quite ok (except a few of them had their face colors washed out due to flash too harsh).

I wasn't sure back then if ISO 400 will deteriorate the quality or not, so i stick to 160/200 for cleaner output. You may wish to try using 400 if your friend only wans to print 4Rs. I tried printing 4R pics taken using ISO 400 at the motorshow 2002 and they turned out reasonably well, except for slight grainess in some of them (esp if you adjust the image brighter during post-processing before sending for print). Reason for using ISO400 is you'll get a brighter background, which looks nicer IMO.

Ok, next will be in the Solemnization Room. It is a lot better inside as the ceiling is quite low. With the same cam settings as above, but this time round tilt your flash head to 75 - 90 degrees to bounce the light from the ceiling. ISO 160 is used (for best quality). My pictures came out quite nice with a bright background. Do a few quick test shots to confirm the exposure. Important thing is you have to shoot fast. The ceremony is quite fast (less than 10 mins). You can stand around the behind of the solemnizing conductor (is that what they are called??) so that you can snap the couple with their face facing you. Move to either side of the table to take side views of the couple and also the 2 witnessess too. Since you're using digital, snap whenever you can (of course compose properly lah) coz it'll end before you knew it. After that you may want to bring them outside the ROM to take outdoor pictures.

Things to note:
Make sure you have enuff memory capacity. MUST use fresh batteries before going. They should last you long enuff. The flash will refresh better with new batteries too. Bring spare ones along too.

Well, dats about all.. hope this helps.

Arrgh, forgot to add something! Please customise your White Balance 1st before going. You wouldn't want to end up with a orange cast on all your pics. :)

Originally posted by senhwei
hi guys - please help me out here, what does "ROM" stand for in the context of the messages in this thread ?

thanks,

senhwei
ROM - Registry Of Marriage

Oh yes, it would be a good idea to check out some common things brides and grooms like to be documented: rings, ring pillow, details on dress, etc. Go to the pro wedding photographers' sites for some inspiration.

This is one site which my friend made me browse (coz she wanted me to copycat the style...:p)

http://mabelleephotography.com/gallery/wedding/index.php

Hope that helps! :)
From another rookie wedding snapper
(oops sounds like some kinda fish...)

OT: Hey Shawn, may I know where did you buy the omni-bounce for the Metz 32z-1? I couldn't find one for it at the usual shops.

oh.. i bought it at Cathay Photo at Marina Square just a few days ago. Remember.. the actual prices is HALF of what's labelled. It's $28 if I'm not wrong.

Originally posted by shawntim
oh.. i bought it at Cathay Photo at Marina Square just a few days ago. Remember.. the actual prices is HALF of what's labelled. It's $28 if I'm not wrong.

Ok, thanks. Will make a trip there soon ;)

Been covering SIG events for the last few days. Found that using the ceiling to bounce with naked flash gives pretty good results and intensity can easily be controlled by angle of flash and aperture settings. I left the shutter at 1/60s so that the background would not appear too dark. Try going there early and get someone to pose at different positions u intend to shoot at to determine the best exposure settings for each and try remembering them for those pics so that u can have ample time to shoot.

P.S. din dared to shoot weddings cos someone told me brides get VERY MAD if u screw things up on their most important day so be VERY CAREFUL :bsmilie:

LOL

thanks for the tips.. that's why i told her again and again quality is not my forte! :p

P.S. din dared to shoot weddings cos someone told me brides get VERY MAD if u screw things up on their most important day so be VERY CAREFUL :bsmilie: [/B]

Well. I've learnt something...technically the photos need not be very good (of course must still try to be good lah...). Just make sure the bride looks good in the pix. That's half the mission accomplished! For example, I've taken a close-up portrait of the bride laughing, captured her happiness, nice lighting, nice framing, sharp pix. Everybody else loved it, except the bride herself. Complained that her wrinkles and laugh lines are showing. While another very ordinary picture, which everyone didn't think much of, the bride loved. Why? Because she feels she was smiling her best in it. What I'm trying to say is...sometimes the quality of your pix need not be directly proportional to how happy the bride is with your pix! So, don't worry too much oki! Just try your best! ;)

LOL.. thats why they say the wedding day is the Bride's Day. The Groom is so intentionally left out ! Us guys have it tough!

Ok, will concentrate on the bride.. haha....

Do u think I should start at her place first or at the ROM? Some ppl tell me it's not the big day, so there's nothing much going on at the bride's... true?

Originally posted by Zookeeper

Well. I've learnt something...technically the photos need not be very good (of course must still try to be good lah...). Just make sure the bride looks good in the pix. That's half the mission accomplished! For example, I've taken a close-up portrait of the bride laughing, captured her happiness, nice lighting, nice framing, sharp pix. Everybody else loved it, except the bride herself. Complained that her wrinkles and laugh lines are showing. While another very ordinary picture, which everyone didn't think much of, the bride loved. Why? Because she feels she was smiling her best in it. What I'm trying to say is...sometimes the quality of your pix need not be directly proportional to how happy the bride is with your pix! So, don't worry too much oki! Just try your best! ;)

My chabor frens always complains i bring out the worst in them :(

Originally posted by Bluestrike

hmm.. intro them to mi and I will help you bring the best out of them!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Nah, would rather keep them for myself :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Your friend likes Mabel's works too huh? :) :thumbsup:

Yep, she loves it, and so do I! But her pricing is like $$$$! So we have to settle for "pirated copies"...meaning getting friends to copycat the style. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.