need ur advise on macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo

Jun 6, 2004
west of "fine" country
HI all, intend to buy a macro lens to shoot dragonfly, butterfly etc. Budget constrain, narrowed down to this 2 lens> Tamron sp 90mm F/2.8 or Sigma macro 105mm F/2.8.

How u guys rate those 2 lens? I m worried of the working distance to the object that i m shooting, will it be very close? what is the comfortable working distance to get macro shot? dun want to scare those creature off.

Will i be able to add teleconvertor to those 2 lens ? will the quality degrade? advise pls. thanks very much.

voodoo said:
HI all, intend to buy a macro lens to shoot dragonfly, butterfly etc. Budget constrain, narrowed down to this 2 lens> Tamron sp 90mm F/2.8 or Sigma macro 105mm F/2.8.

How u guys rate those 2 lens? I m worried of the working distance to the object that i m shooting, will it be very close? what is the comfortable working distance to get macro shot? dun want to scare those creature off.

Will i be able to add teleconvertor to those 2 lens ? will the quality degrade? advise pls. thanks very much.
U might wanna check on www.fredmiranda.com for the reviews on the lenses.

I heard the Tamron had some good reviews and the Sigma ones are a bit soft. Best way is to bring your camera and test the lenses.

Cheers!

thanks nickmak for the website. saw that most user said that the sigma 90mm lens needed rechip, does those we buy in singapore need rechip too? anyone?

after using 50mm. 100mm now im stick on the 180mm tamron, SHARP and light to carry

any one tried the DI version for the tamron 90mm ? what the diferent ? if no diff, then i can consider 2nd hand one non DI version cheaper that way. :bsmilie:

voodoo said:
any one tried the DI version for the tamron 90mm ? what the diferent ? if no diff, then i can consider 2nd hand one non DI version cheaper that way. :bsmilie:

Both Tamron and Sigma had released their new "digital" versions of macro lens. The Tamron being the DI version and Sigma 105mm/2.8 EX DG. You might want to check their prices first. Jus a suggestion. ;)

thanks all for the advise. Any one know whats the different betweent the digital version and the non digital version?went thru their website but not very specifically stated whats the different. dun want to :mad2: after i buy the digital version and to find out no different.

There's a good review with working distances for various macro lens at :

http://iapf.physik.tu-berlin.de/jbohs/HKO/TUBerlin/dforum/macro/Macro100E.html

voodoo said:

thanks jbma and eawtan for the links. i have read both the post before, and have decided on tamron sp 90mm. problem i face now is to decide(well not actually a problem :) ) between the digital version or the normal 1. anyone with experience on those 2 version care to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.