Need tripod solution

Ranger90

Mar 27, 2009
singapore
Hi all.
I plan to buy a tripod with budget around 300-400 the most 500 bucks.
can suggest a good tripod for me. currently i'm using nikon d700 with 24-70
I was thinking to get manfrotto 190xprob. any other recommendation?

(ask) just curious about, how much is manfrotto 190cxpro4??

thx

is that budget just for tripod or is it together with head?

r u looking for a normal weight with high load capacity (eg dslr with grip + 70-200 f2.8 + flash)

or r u looking for light weight with high load capacity

or light weight & compact with medium load capacity (eg dslr + non-f2.8 lens)

Last edited:
what is your equipment that will be mounted?

is that budget just for tripod or is it together with head?

r u looking for a normal weight with high load capacity (eg dslr with grip + 70-200 f2.8 + flash)

or r u looking for light weight with high load capacity

or light weight & compact with medium load capacity (eg dslr + non-f2.8 lens)

actually it's my budget for both head and tripod.
I've stated my gear, Nikon d700 + 24-70mm (may be want to add up with sb900)
so, which one is the best for me.. it will be normal weight i guess

what is your equipment that will be mounted?

d700 + 24-70mm f2.8 ( may be want to add SB900+ battery grip )
70-200mm if possible(rarely use it as my bro keep it).

personally, i will suggest Benro....but manfrotto is good also....:)

Go to TK Photo and take a look. With $500 you should look for something better than Manfrotto. Get a Sirui or better still a Gitzo. ;)

if you are not too bothered with brand and ok with a couple of hundred extra grams, Benro is a reasonable choice. A268+ball head fit for your gear shd be around 350 bucks.

Manfrotto 190Proxb/190proxc and 488RC2 or 486RC@ ballhead should cost about $350.

get a 2nd hand, cs b&s 190xprob going at around $150, 488 around $120.

i dont recommend 486, while it is light weight, it doesnt have "pan" knob. also at heavy load especially long lens, it is less stable.

you may want to read this

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

Last edited:
Best place for bargian hunters in the look out for Tripod at competitive prices will be at TK Foto and CP.. Head down to their stores and try out the stabiity/feel and whether how bad the reasonating is etc..

Models to consider under 500 for Manfrotto will be 190pro3/4 OR 055pro3/4
Ask urself whether do u need the center column -if yes, get CX version
Ask urself whether can you comtend with thinner legs yet lighter (but to me unsteady) - if yes get 4 instead of 3 section

Sirui Carbon Fiber
Benro Carbon Fiber
Some Gitzo Basalt/Alu
Silk Pro Carbon Fiber

HTH

I don't think you should go Gitzo with that budget, no offense.

The 190ProB w/ the 486RC2 or the 488RC2(better for panning) should do fine :)

thx all for the responds. i've been told about the sirui tripod (carbon fiber) set with the ball head for 350$, then sirui tripod with monopod attached (carbon fiber) for 450$ (I'm not sure about the series). is that brand better than manfrotto 190xprob?

I see some advantages of sirui that it can hold for more than 11kg, it is compact and light as the material is carbon fiber.

but I still re-considered for manfrotto 190xprob as the centre column can be mounted horizontally, so this tripod able to do a very low angle (stick to the ground) and for the sirui can not.

i have not seen or use gitzo or sirui. but basically, look at the number of layer of CF in each layer, the size of them, construction of the hinges & locks. decide for urself. it should be in their product spec. else i will have doubts on the product.

as always, i'd recommend buying the best tripod you can afford
you will spend less in the long run

a good tripod should last you at least 10 years or more
i have a manfrotto 055 (i bought 2nd hand) that is almost 20 years old and still going strong, only replaced a broken knob once.

I wil suggest you take a look at Benro. They are value for money. With the savings, you can buy a better ball head. I recommend Markins. But they are very expensive.

I wil suggest you take a look at Benro. They are value for money. With the savings, you can buy a better ball head. I recommend Markins. But they are very expensive.

Second that!! Benro heads are also not too bad actually.

I have a SILK tripod, which I hardly ever used. It has been with me for 30 years! It is still like new. These stuffs depending on how you abuse them, can last you a lifetime. So, unless you are certain lugging it around and you will use it (like the Sgp Pledge); why not loan buy a 2nd hand one? Anyway, just 2-penny worth of words

well ok all.. thx for the recommendation... :thumbsup:

I have a SILK tripod, which I hardly ever used. It has been with me for 30 years! It is still like new. These stuffs depending on how you abuse them, can last you a lifetime. So, unless you are certain lugging it around and you will use it (like the Sgp Pledge); why not loan buy a 2nd hand one? Anyway, just 2-penny worth of words

hahaha, no wonder can last a life time lar.:bsmilie::bsmilie: