Need tripod for travelling?

crazy12234

Aug 15, 2008
Hi all

Im going to Europe for 6 weeks.

Going to UK, Spain, France.

Do you guys think I should carry a small lightweight travelling tripod?

Please advise!

Thanks!!

depends what u are shooting? if u are going to shoot landscape, its always good to have one.

right, if you are into landscape photography, it's always good to have one. Especially at night, you're gonna love the city lights taken using long exposure shots.

Last edited:
If u notice, they tend to have a railings or walls so I will bring a gorillapod which can withstand at least 5kg ( got it from ebay ) and good enough

If u notice, they tend to have a railings or walls so I will bring a gorillapod which can withstand at least 5kg ( got it from ebay ) and good enough

gorillapod for m4/3 cams is ok... for DSLR (assuming TS is using a DSLR), I dun think it is advisable. its not really that stable.

the joby gorillapod with aluminium legs are quite solid, left my camera with battery grip and a heavy lens with flash, total ard 4kg and leave it overnight,at 10cm when I leave it and next morning drop to 9.7cm so still quite strong, the max load is 5kg and cost ard 130 bucks

the joby gorillapod with aluminium legs are quite solid, left my camera with battery grip and a heavy lens with flash, total ard 4kg and leave it overnight,at 10cm when I leave it and next morning drop to 9.7cm so still quite strong, the max load is 5kg and cost ard 130 bucks

for that price, i prefer to buy a proper tripod. i wun want to risk my DSLR + lens just to save some money. $100+ could get me a proper aluminum tripod.

$130 I can buy a Sirui R1004 + G10 ballhead and still have $1 left over.

i agree.. the gorillapod isn't really that stable. it's better to invest on a real tripod instead.

i brought my manfrotto 190B recently on a europe trip. it was definitely worth the effort.

Tripod is definitely a necessity when traveling overseas.

my ep3 with 300mm f4.5 with the gorlilapod is good enough =)

my ep3 with 300mm f4.5 with the gorlilapod is good enough =)

already said m4/3 and DSLR is totally diff.

ep3 body is so much lighter and smaller in size. even wind blow... it wun not cause much movement. But if DSLR... wind blows, gravity pulls, falls.

Try Gitzo GT 1542T or 1541T, probably one the best travelling tripod, lightweighted and solid strong... pricewise a little on the expansive side, but this is one time investment that you don't have to think of other type of tripod...

ExCanon said:
Try Gitzo GT 1542T or 1541T, probably one the best travelling tripod, lightweighted and solid strong... pricewise a little on the expansive side, but this is one time investment that you don't have to think of other type of tripod...

Contrary to this belief, I spent $1.2k on the 1542T and Markin Q3T but I am thinking of an even smaller travelling tripod that can be put in a backpack or hand carry.

I am saying this as I used a m43 system and finds that for non tele lens the combo is a bit overkill. Small, light and easy on the back.

canonmono said:

Is it Gorillapod SLR-Zoom or Gorillapod Focus?

If u travel ard for that kind of timeframe,I think tripod is a must based on normal circumstance.

If I remember correctly,some European countries having long day and short night now.you might need to take this into consideration. However,tripod is not only for night shot,u may use a 10stop nd to take some classic daytime long exposure too.

Hi all

Im going to Europe for 6 weeks.

Going to UK, Spain, France.

Do you guys think I should carry a small lightweight travelling tripod?

Please advise!

Thanks!!

I would humbly suggest a proper tripod, carbon fibre ones are generally lighter. A tripod for me is as important as bring a camera body or the lenses.

It might not be strictly 100% necessary for everyone since it really depends on shooting styles, and you might just take shots in good light hand held only, or push really high ISOs for dimmer lights. But I would think you would find it helpful too.

Ryan

If u travel ard for that kind of timeframe,I think tripod is a must based on normal circumstance.

If I remember correctly,some European countries having long day and short night now.you might need to take this into consideration.

Above the polar circle there is no night at all now! North from the middle of Norway.
UK has an effective shorter night. In Spain there is little to no effect, France also very little.
Jan

Contrary to this belief, I spent $1.2k on the 1542T and Markin Q3T but I am thinking of an even smaller travelling tripod that can be put in a backpack or hand carry.

I am saying this as I used a m43 system and finds that for non tele lens the combo is a bit overkill. Small, light and easy on the back.

I'm also using the 1542T and Q3T for my dslr, but I've recently bought an em5 m4/3for travels, what tripod are you using now if I may ask? would really like something that I can just chuck into a sling bag. Not really a fan of gorillapods though.

SIrui N1205 is not bad with G20 ballhead...quite sturdy, and can even put inside my think tank streetwalker HD...
very light for travel...for myself i've been to places before which i decided not to bring tripod (last time i used the aluminum bulky one manfrotto 190B)
so missed the magnificent landscapes...
now, i will bring a tripod all the time.... :)