[Need to vent] Some appalling standard of wedding photographers...

hotwork77

Jun 21, 2009
1°19'37.70"N 103°47'39.19"E
Yesterday I was at my friend's wedding. The official photographer was a youngish girl. :think:Hmm...I thought...that's a good change. She was deck out in a Nikon D90 with battery grip and a standard 18-105 VR kit lens. Interesting again...or so I thought. I was curious...no helper? No second photographer? Hmm...that's also new or am I behind time after all I'm 89.

Along the way...she missed a lot of opportunity shots when the couple strolled in. (Where was she?) When the couple popped the champagne, she was out for "fresh air". When the traditional "Yum Seng" was in progress, she took only a few shots from the middle of the hall. (Huh??? Need to go so far?)

Again when the traditional photo op at every table was done so slowly that most of the guest said their byes before the process completed as the couple was rushed to the door to thank the leaving guests.

Most of us at the table were left wondering whether it was a new concept or a very inept wedding photographer?

What do you think?

Ever wonder is yr friend the lowballer who didn't want to engage a decent photographer in the first place?

Could it be that the friend invited the girl to be the official photographer ?? I have a friend who "loves taking macro/never shot events" being asked to be the official photographer for his sister-in-law's wedding. He panicked like crazy, but then again, the sister-in-law did say they were not interested in the results that day ... just want a picture documentation of events.

I would agree. This level of shooting I probably can do better ;p

my 2c worth... hahaha

Ever wonder is yr friend the lowballer who didn't want to engage a decent photographer in the first place?

Well...from what I understood earlier, my friend was charged $4K for the dinner package and $2.5K for tea ceremony. There was no coffee table prints either except to create powerpoint montage during the dinner and photos was provided by the couple. :what:

Well...from what I understood earlier, my friend was charged $4K for the dinner package and $2.5K for tea ceremony. There was no coffee table prints either except to create powerpoint montage during the dinner and photos was provided by the couple. :what:

Sounds like a candidate for the successful entrepreneur awards ;)

Did your friend see the works of the photographer before agreeing to hire her? If the actual works differs greatly from the samples, maybe can get your friend to talk to her. Whether did the samples are from her? or whether the actual photographer who supposed to come is MC etc?

But I guess this is a free market, what you pay is what you get. In addition, I think there are alot cheaper packages outside..

Maybe to get the facts right first...

Last edited:
Suddenly I feel very inept in my marketing skills. Hart shd orgainse another ASAP!

Wait...6.5k. It won't be difficult to find out who it is...

Last edited:

do you happen to know the contact/info of that photographer. I would love to learn marketing from her.

assuming everything you say is true , then you have to bear in mind that you can't save every carrot head out there.

if your friend not making any noise, you make noise also like that.

A very recent ex-mediacorp actress wedding video with 4 live feed cams, $500 lower than that anyway..... :p

One of my friend's wedding, the wedding shop send a newbies who know nothing on iso and aperture. And It was a paid packages.

One of my friend's wedding, the wedding shop send a newbies who know nothing on iso and aperture. And It was a paid packages.

part of the bridal package? or additional? Previously my bridal shop also offer such free lance services at very cheap prices. But after looking at the samples, I decide not to go for it....I think when the prices are alot alot cheaper than average, then better don't go for it....but if on budget then no choice lor...

you are already 89 years old, so any females still able to carry camera and move around will look very youngish to you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

assuming everything you say is true , then you have to bear in mind that you can't save every carrot head out there.

if your friend not making any noise, you make noise also like that.

Bro...I'm not making noise to save the carrots. They already kerna chop. I'm making noise because I happen to see a very unprofessional photog at work and spoiling the market. If we have more of them around, it will ultimately hurt the industry and lower the chances of new up and coming talents cos customers looses respect for wedding photographers and their artform. :cry:

For someone who jus got married last year, I'd glad my photographer wasn't someone like the one u mentioned. =)

Your description of what she did made me feel she'd probably was a friend of the couple wanting a chance to hone her skills and not someone dong a paid job.

Guess that's why its always very impt to check the portfolios and reviews of the photograpers we engage before committing. Glad u brought up this topic.

i really wish to learn marketing from her too . . . :bsmilie:

Think everyone here can up our market value to over $10k . . . :think: :bsmilie:

Bro...I'm not making noise to save the carrots. They already kerna chop. I'm making noise because I happen to see a very unprofessional photog at work and spoiling the market. If we have more of them around, it will ultimately hurt the industry and lower the chances of new up and coming talents cos customers looses respect for wedding photographers and their artform. :cry:
no la... what i'm saying is that you can't really save them....

if the consumer can't be discerning... then how?

ask them go case in retrospect? doesn't work that way, right.

in any case, so many unprofessional photographers around... to be honest i think a lot of FL are just in it to make money, and are not in it with the attitude to do their best. i hope i don't tread on anyone else's toes here. of course, this also applies to some full-timers.

hmm....... just curious..
the TS is complaining becos of ?

she is a young gal ? ( as assumed ) or
her equipment is perceived to be low end ? or
she got no 2nd photographer ? or
the photos are bad ( but photos are not ready yet ) or
she really missed some shots ( can you be sure) or
table shots v slow ( but this could be attributed by a few factors)

i duno who the photographer might be..
or if she is really good at marketing or not..
but sometimes.. I think CS has become a platform for more of such
complaints..

Ehh...if its 6.5k with pretty nicely customised MTM gowns, pre-wedding pix then it ain't very expensive with the PG incld. Coz I am not sure if anybody charges in the way like 2.5k for tea ceremony, 4k for dinner.

Spoil the market?
Look at it this way... if she is really so "bad" as what you describe and still command $6.5K, then many photographers can easily justify for charging $10K.... isn't that good? :bsmilie: