Need to know more about Medium format...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfmoon

Feb 26, 2005
Hougang, Singapore.
Hi all,

I am starting to be interested in medium format camera, and I am curious about some questions......

1. Is mamiya better or hassleblad??

2. Which is more affordable???

3. Any one know the price of XpanII????

4. What is leaf release shutter???

5. What is the diff between non-mechanical and mechanical release???

Hope I post at the right section here.......

Thanks....... :)

Halfmoon said:
Hi all,

I am starting to be interested in medium format camera, and I am curious about some questions......

#1, it depends

#2 mamiya is cheaper

#3 sorry can't help you there, call the shop

#4 it is a kind of shutter, someone explain please

#5 what are you refering to? mechanical and electronic?

Halfmoon said:
Hi all,

1) It really depend on what you need, both system about the same but mamiya offer more format to play with from 645 to 67. People will tell you hasselblad are better because of the lenes.

2) Mamiya alot more affordable but I do have hasselblad for sale at very good price :D

3) Check with Pro Photo

4) There mainly two type of shuttler design focal plane and leaf. Focal plane have a X syrco speed. That you can only set shuttler speed at it or slower then it when using flash. Because it design if you set higher then the X syrco when using flash apart of the shuttle will cover the picture and photo will have a black image coving a part of it. But the design will allow a faster maxium shuttle speed when use for non flash photography. Where the leaf shuttle design there no X syrco speed, all the shuttle speed can be use for flash photography. But because of it design it usually have a slower maxium speed then focal plane.

5) one mechanical no batteries needed and there other is not :D

singscott said:
4) There mainly two type of shuttler design focal plane and leaf. Focal plane have a X syrco speed. That you can only set shuttler speed at it or slower then it when using flash. Because it design if you set higher then the X syrco when using flash apart of the shuttle will cover the picture and photo will have a black image coving a part of it. But the design will allow a faster maxium shuttle speed when use for non flash photography. Where the leaf shuttle design there no X syrco speed, all the shuttle speed can be use for flash photography. But because of it design it usually have a slower maxium speed then focal plane.

Leaf shutter is located within the lens. Yes, in such design all lenses come with a shutter mechanism, also partly the reason why such optics are exhorbitantly priced. The circular shutter blades open/close out/inwards when it is triggered like a diaphragm. Due to this design you dun have a x-sync problem like to focal plane shutter at higher speed. This same design also limits its possibility of having higher shutter speed. You gain some you lose some.

Thank you... Ortega, Singscott and litefoot for your replies.... ;)

The leaf shutter sound very interesting.... and expensive... I did came across this when I was reading up the lens specs, but I had no idea what the hell is that....... but noticed the slower shutter speed....

Actually, the X Pan II should be considered as a 35mm camera right??? It is appealing to me since I think if you can use that for nature work, it is very nice wih the paranomic look......

The dual format Mamiya 7II is also very interesting camera..... 6x7 rangefinder that can take in 135 film for 24 X 65 mm paranomic shots.... and seems quite light too... I think it is manual focus..... or is it all rangefinder are mannual????

One problem I have when I was looking at the lenses is the different lenses compared to 35mm... like a 70 mm MF = 35mm 35mm...... so it does need getting used to..... If you tell me MF lenses in mm... I will be lost.... hahaha.... :bsmilie:

I prefer Mamiya website since it have more specs and in much orderly manner, but the hassleblad is such a HASSEL...... not much specs information, messy....... To me, for me to learn about the camera, I start by spec list or the instruction.....

One thing about mamiya that is interesting to me is the revolving back system... and the RB 67 can take in both 6x7 and 6x8 right??? But not those hasselblad.... personally, I trust Japanese brand more....

Not sure about the 645 series..... But from what I read, there is no digital back from mamiya.... Only hassleblad have those digital back from what I see... I bet those must cost a few PEANUTS LEAVES.....

Any idea what does the V system differ??? Those 500 series and 200 series....... I think those 200 series have faster shutter speed.....

Also, does 120 and 220 films requires different magazines??? And if using 6x7 and 6x8, is it different magazines too???

Where is PRO PHOTO??? Is this the place to get MF cameras, etc.. beside Cathay???

To Singscott:
Thanks for your offer singscott..... I will not be able to afford that yet.... and I am trying to build up my series of PRIMES first for my 35mm system.... I got 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8 and aiming for 85mm f1.8 first... then, see how.... unless this thursday, I am lucky to pick up a peanut from Sing pool.....

I find that 28mm can be too wide at times, and I also wondering if it would be ideal to get the 24mm f2.8 too..... but if you have open space, the 24mm will be very useful.... for scenary.......

I was just curious about the MF since it is very interesting and I wanted to know more about them....

Thanks again for all your replies...... ;)

Make it simple, choose between mechanical or electronics. Hassey or Rollei and drop the rest. :p

Heh heh, less try a Hassey vs Rollei thread.

litefoot said:
Heh heh, less try a Hassey vs Rollei thread.

Care to tell me more about Rollei????

Seems like you do not rate Mamiya..... is there any reason???

Because it could like a mama boy brand??? :bsmilie:

Just kidding...

litefoot said:
Make it simple, choose between mechanical or electronics. Hassey or Rollei and drop the rest. :p

Which is better??? Mechanical or not??

Or it depends on what you shoot???

Halfmoon said:
Which is better??? Mechanical or not??

Or it depends on what you shoot???

On theory, electronics usually come with better specs... But personally, i like mechanical cos when something breaks down, I can go to a few camera repair shops get different quotations and go for the one that makes the most economical sense. Also, when going into MF photography, remember to note the film size.... 6x6, 6x7...... Also, there are lots of hidden cost which i learnt it the hard way. Lenses for MF camera cost a big bomb, you need to good sturdy tripod... that alo cost $$$, then there is film back.... taht is not too bad... but if you love to see things without inversion... you will need to buy a prism... that cost $$$... After that comes the film and the processing. Oh yes... and you also need to invest in a light meter

As for hasslebland vs. Mamiya, both can take great pics. main diff is that Hasslebland uses 6x6 while mamiya film back is 6x7... I am not sure if mamiya have 6x6.... I used to shoot with Mamiya cos i cannot afford Hasslebland.... Oops forgot to mention 1 advantage of mechanical camera... It holds the value better.... I bought my Mamiya used.... When sold it I made 100 dollar profit... :thumbsup:

As to why I sold it... cos I ran out of time and $$$ to maintain that hobby..... need to drive a super long diatance to buy and process... :sweat:

Regarding digital back for medium format camera, almost every digital back makers made some kind of digital back for most medium format cameras in the market. There are backs for mamiya RZ, hasselblad V and H series, rollei 6000s and contax 645 from people like phase one, leaf, kodak, fujifilm, sinar and imacon or hasselblad now. F.Y.I. :)

Hasselblad H system - 645 format. with autofocus

V system

- 500 series - 6x6, 645 mechanical cam. requires C series lenses for leaf shutter

- 200 series - 6x6, 645 with electronic focal plane shutter. FE series lenses was designed for it. Can use C series lenses too.

u can pick up a hassy 'kit set' (if it can be called dat!!) like the 503 CW or the 500C/M at TCW for a pretty reasonable price - IIRC, almost the price of an entry level DSLR. comes with a eye-level prism, 1 back and a 80mm lens. its at the bottom shelf, closest to the main entrance. ;)

Thanks for all replies.......

Not sure is 6x6 or 6x7 is better.... but definately, different from 35mm by a lot I think..... more squarish.....

But so far, I would think mechanical is useful for that fast shutter... not sure if that will be very important in a studio anyway..... I am used to my 1/4000 shutter perhaps...... :D

I thought hassle can take in only 6x6... did not know that it can take 6x45 too....

Personally.... I was wondering if technology can be so damnm good, that a 35mm D-SLR can replace a MF with digital back..... with the same sharpest and color.... if that happens, MF will be doomed......

ie. MF can do, D SLR also can do......

If have time, I will check out the TCW.....

there are. difference lies in the frame mask within the hassy.

MF photography is actually quite fun as there are very few auto-everything MF cams ard. so, u really have to slow down and compose. plus, depending on the format u are shooting, u have bet 12-16 frames per roll. so, really forces u to count ur shot. the end result is a beautifully high-res pic dat, if u like, can blow it up poster-size without much loss of resolution. :heart:

just to show wat even a cheapo MF cam can do. this is a scanned pic from my ex-Lubitel 166U (6x6 russian TLR camera - plastic everything except the lens! :sweatsm: ). taken last yr prior to the fireworks festival. :)

skyline.jpg

another pic - portrait from the same cam.

7407sam1.jpg

The Mamiya RB and RZ are slightly bigger and heavier than the Hassy cos of the 6x7 format.

Agree with nightwolf75 that you can easily pick up a used 500cm with 80mm lens back and waist level finder for a new DSLR.

THere are a couple of nice ones in Ron's camera too.

dreamseeker said:
The Mamiya RB and RZ are slightly bigger and heavier than the Hassy cos of the 6x7 format.

Agree with nightwolf75 that you can easily pick up a used 500cm with 80mm lens back and waist level finder for a new DSLR.

THere are a couple of nice ones in Ron's camera too.

ron's camera at the basement of adelphi? there's another shop, P&G just directly opposition, IIRC. they shld have some stock for MF cams, including the russian cams. ;p

MF I think need more manual setting than SLR.... SLR is so automated nowadays.... that idiots can shoot like pro... which is a good and bad thing.... hahaha.....

I played with my uncle old manual minotla slr before, so I am not so alien to these setting I hope... It can be fun, if you are not in a rush to finish, or shoot, can be stressful..... maybe I can get my uncle manual slr since he is not using it much now either... mmm..... :think:

Actually, what is IIRC???

Thanks dreamseeeker for the info... if I am around the area, I will check them all out.... ;)

Halfmoon said:
MF I think need more manual setting than SLR.... SLR is so automated nowadays.... that idiots can shoot like pro... which is a good and bad thing.... hahaha.....

I played with my uncle old manual minotla slr before, so I am not so alien to these setting I hope... It can be fun, if you are not in a rush to finish, or shoot, can be stressful..... maybe I can get my uncle manual slr since he is not using it much now either... mmm..... :think:

Actually, what is IIRC???

Thanks dreamseeeker for the info... if I am around the area, I will check them all out.... ;)

IIRC = If I Remembered Correctly

Nightwolf... what brand of TLR you use har? Din know got TLR that can take 6x6....
:think: expensive a not?

Status
Not open for further replies.