Need to convert to international licence when driving in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi guys....wonder if you guys know, for singapore and malaysian driving licence, do we need to do any conversion to international licence when driving in Australia?

Or is there any link or relevant authorities I can ask?

hi
yes it is a good idea.

but you can check i think the singapore trafic police or the singapore automotive society

but yes i believe its generally required. also if you are staying in australia for 3 months or more you require an australian drivers license (from the relevent state authority).

regards,
an aussie in sg

If I remember correctly, if you are there for less than 6 mths, there's no need to convert to a aussie license. Your Spore license shld do. :think:

last i remember , for d 1st yr u r there, u need not convert or get inter. lic. its only if u are planning to stay longer than that

boroangel said:
Hi guys....wonder if you guys know, for singapore and malaysian driving licence, do we need to do any conversion to international licence when driving in Australia?

Or is there any link or relevant authorities I can ask?

No, as your licence is in English, it should cover you as a tourist.

No need lah.. Aussie recognise Singapore License.. I have been renting car and driving there....

Just bring your Singapore Driving License will do. Enjoy your trip in Australia.

Anyway you are just for holiday for one or two weeks.

The rented car also has insurance cover.

Remember to ask for street directory when rent a car there.

Anyway for you info, if you need ever to apply for IDP (International Driving Permit), you can apply from AAS (Automobile Association of Singapore). www.aas.com.sg

it is always advisable to carry an international driving permit, just in case you run into any accidents and incidents. peace of mind.

Singapore licence is recognizable in many places.
I even used use my licence to rent a car and drive in Sweden (left-hand drive). I was hoping they ask "Where is Singapore?" Hahaha :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

behyx said:
Singapore licence is recognizable in many places.
I even used use my licence to rent a car and drive in Sweden (left-hand drive). I was hoping they ask "Where is Singapore?" Hahaha :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

oui , singapore's presence can be felt already lah,, just that singaporeans dun feel any at all hahahahah

Chiang said:
oui , singapore's presence can be felt already lah,, just that singaporeans dun feel any at all hahahahah

Yup there is even a huge signboard in Anchorage, Alaska; Pointing to different directions towards big cities in the world with their respective distance. Singapore is on one of them.

been at Melbourne 2 yrs.. Owning a car for 1 yr..

all used SINGAPORE LICENCE.. bear in mind, that time i was still holding those paper laminated type.. not to say now, its in CARD...

BUT, if u feel that u wan to be on safer side, by all means get a international licence..

been to Aus as tourist for 2 weeks and drove there no prob. My friend's been a student there for 2 (or 3yrs) drove all the way with the paper license also no prob.

If the police in aus recognise the licenses, the insurance company shouldn't deny it's validity.

actually no :embrass: i hand over my license and all.. then they just point "sign here here here and here" then show me the car and drive off liao.. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.