Need tips for Portrait Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinKnauss

May 18, 2008
I recently bought my first DSLR, Canon 400d w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens, and need some help to take good portraits. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :D

Google searches like 'secrets of portrait (p) photography', 'basics of p photography', 'how to take great p', understanding light for p photography', 'using flash for p photography' etc etc etc...

TONS of material out there, but the best is to focus on understanding light, and composition.

if you use the 50mm f1.8 lens, and take a portrait at close range (subject fills almost the whole frame), using f1.8 the depth of field is very short. Even the entire head can't be in focus. But as long as the eyes are in focus, the portrait looks very pleasing. I dunno... that's just my opinion from my trial and error ;)

I recently bought my first DSLR, Canon 400d w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens, and need some help to take good portraits. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :D

I'm also using my 50mm to take portraits now though. Tips? U'll also need an external flash, diffuser and reflector.

The importance is in the eyes. If the eyes are out of focus, you lose impact. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I feel understanding lighting and making good use of it makes photography much more intresting.

I would say one should review every snap and work on to improve.atleast give a thought if it could have been better :).

There are few thumb rules which you can get from do's and don't's ...don't waste time in re-inventing things.

Put down that photography guidebook, get off the internet, and head out of the house. Talk to everyone and anyone that interests you. Find out what it is that makes them tick, get under their skin, step into their shoes. Then take that camera out and shoot away.

Status
Not open for further replies.