Need tips for photographing at Singapore Garden Festival

Bryan84

May 31, 2010
www.bryanchung.sg
I went to Singapore Garden Festival on Monday. Today I finally reviewed my photos and found most of them disappointing. Am I'm going back again tomorrow. Can I get some quick tips on how I should take such indoor garden photos?

I used a lot of flash that day, and my two full batteries ran out in 5 hours after I took only 426 photos. A lot of my flash photos didn't turn out nice too. Either the subject is too bright else the surrounding is not bright to match the subject.

znx1k7.jpg

Left photos, non-flash. Right photos, flash. I personally like flash photos because the color are nicer. But it seems really difficult to take.

Please give me your 2cents tips on how I should take better shots tomorrow. Like flash? No flash? ISO?

I'm using Canon 550D 18-55mm and 11-20mm lens.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
just a suggestion, u can try bracketing and create an hdr image, this will bring out the details in those darker area.

Assuming you using built-in flash, read the manual on FEC.

That's why mastering your camera's manual is the most important.

The sames goes for external flash.

HTH.

Cheers!

PS: There's no 1 magic setting for all, unless you set your camera on Automatic.

composition is the main issue here.

lighting wise, for even lighting on bg/subject, you can try diffusing flash.

if you concentrate on the photography, and read up on the basics before going, it will help too.

and... (tongue in cheek) stop getting distracted by pink things, and that will help too! :bsmilie:

if you concentrate on the photography, and read up on the basics before going, it will help too.

and... (tongue in cheek) stop getting distracted by pink things, and that will help too! :bsmilie:

u ah!!!!

but i like it!!! hahaha

No magic settings, just make sure exposure is good.
What I did...

Bring a tripod & remote shutter if you have.
Use manual or aperture priority setting.

Suntec hall inside lighting is dim, that means your exposure will be longer.

I saw lots of hand held shooters, ISO pump to ISO800 & above to achieve a good exposure. Not my preference to pump ISO for this session since I brought tripod.

You could use low shutter speed, low ISO with a tripod.

Overcome exposure first.
Go play around aperture your f/stop and compensate your shutter speed to get a right smack middle of the exposure meter.

Composition.
Shoot your subject as near your lens can go and keep in focus. That means what you like to see is sharp. Some softness also can create a soothing mood effect.
Macro lens preferred or your most able lens to focus nearest to the subject.

This is what I did at the Garden Festival:

1. shoot RAW and under-expose by about 1 to 2 stops to get higher shutter speed

2. cap my ISO at 400

3. my average shutter speed was in the region of about 1/20''; the Image Stabiliser helps

A tripod will be very useful on that particular day.

Not necessary that very high ISO is bad...depending on just how well you know your camera system, can work quite well.

Having a tripod is handy but depend on luck if the place is full in which case either wait to deploy tripod or try handheld shoot.

Here was my take

Next time got similar lighting at Suntec...i will know what to do and what to bring.

Last edited:

ya lah bro. cannot always get distracted by pink dress... haha

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I went again and preferred my shots this time round. :)

Hi there, I took some shots too with flash or without flash. Also due to the fact that the hall is dark, it harder to shoot too. I didn't take any tripod, all are handheld. I did twitch higher ISO setting. My shots are as below:

With a flash, handheld, ISO 800, with diffuser
DSC_0854.jpg

Without flash, handheld, ISO 800, with diffuser
DSC_0919.jpg

With flash, handheld, ISO 800, with diffuser
DSC_0964.jpg

Also trying to learn photography too.

Last edited:
A tip I got from a pro... before hand, figure what is the highest ISO your camera/lens combo can handle without noise getting in the way. Next, use a diffuser, and shoot with flash at that high ISO. Because (his words) the TTL systems of today's DSLRs are very good, the light emitted from the flash will correctly be quite "mild" given the high ISO. Hence no harsh light. Also, go with manual and experiment with the shutter speed and aperture to get the feel you like - let the flash figure itself out.

Congrats, you unearthed a thread nearly 2 years after last posting :) And instead of listening to so-called 'pros' one can read the sticky guides and do some thinking and experimenting. It's really not that difficult. Important is: use a tripod, leave certain parameters fixed, only change one parameter and observe.