Need tips for D&D photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

hptay

Dec 12, 2002
www.pbase.com
Hi,

I have been asked to help with a D&D shoot and would like some advise on D&D event photography.. can anyone share with me what to look out for etc etc?

I am currently armed with a naked 300D + lens kit and am planning to get a lens and a flash for the shoot. Any suggestions on which lens and flash (hoping not to go over $1k for both or if some kind soul would lend me.. :D)? Heard so much about the canon 550 and sigma 500... so blur which one to get liao.. and the lens ... lagi sotong...

SOS sos :bigeyes:

I am not a canon user, but you will needs flash light either the 420EX or 550EX depending on your budget.

I do not know what lens kit you have, basically a minimum wide angle lens and at least telephoto zoom lens, 28mm-85mm or 28mm-105mm will be good enough.

You can add on your accessories on a later part ... ;)

Important thing VIP table is a must to take and guest arrival, MC and shows etc etc and take whatever you think deem fit, talk later .. ;)

you defintely need a very good flash with fast recycling time.
this is especially important for those prize/award presentation ceremony. You have to be fast and compose correctly. Just have to stay at one spot and keep snapping!

For me, one general lens is more than sufficient to capture everything.... i normally use the 28-200mm to cover all aspects and angles. Don't waste your time changing lenses.

AND BRING EXTRA BATTERIES FOR THE FLASH!!!!!!!

:bsmilie:

thank bro,
the lens that I have i the Es 18-55mm lens (came with the camera).
been thinkin of getting a telephoto lens but havent got a clue which to get. Lookin for a sort of more general purpose lens for events. Will check out those that u mention ^_^~

The kit lens would do. It has a field of view equivalent to 29-88mm. To get the better results, you may want to stop down to f/8.0 with the lens.

As for flash, either the 420EX or 550EX will do. You could make/use a bounce card to use with the flash.

just wondering, if anyone here has experience using the 300d with the 420EX flash.. i borrowed my friend's flash some time back and left it to auto. Many of the shots were badly underexposed, any idea y?

hptay said:
just wondering, if anyone here has experience using the 300d with the 420EX flash.. i borrowed my friend's flash some time back and left it to auto. Many of the shots were badly underexposed, any idea y?

what flash?

objects too far? flash not strong enough to illuminate your subject.

or

you accidentally set exposure compensation.

i suppose he means "u will regret if u dont get it" :D

since u have the kit lens only... use aperture priority mode and shoot everythign at f5.6. , use the suggested shutter speed, the flash use it as "fill-in" flash and bounce (tilt+card+omnibouce)

u can also try to "cheat on the shutterspeed" and depict a more accurate "indoors dimness" by setting -0.5 to -1&1/3 stop of exposure compensation if u have the time..but since u mentioned u not too familiar with slr and the D&D sounds quite a big event..then dont stress yourself on this part ie ignore it for now but can come back to experiment when u have time :)

wakakakaka....... and I thought he meant good lens, buy, you'll regret. heheheeeeeee.......

That aside.

Where's the D&D? Does it have a high ceiling? How far will you be from your subjects? With that you can judge whether you need a 'bigger' flash.

An external flash is probably a necessity due to the fact that most ballrooms are quite dimly lit. Most likely you'll need to use the flash for the "less glam" events, like for the tables and the VIP arrival. As for things like paegent catwalks and stuff, personally I'll try not to use flash because it will kinda destroy the ambient lighting. Besides, the spotlights will probably provide good enough lighting to correctly expose your paegent contestants. Try ISO 800 for a start and work up or down from there.

Unless your ballroom has a low ceiling, bouncing the flash will cause your batteries to go flat in no time, not to mention extra recycling time. Try getting a diffuser or Omnibounce instead.

Your kit lens may not go far enough if you can't get close to the stage/runway. Try getting a x-105mm lens for closeups. A tripod/monopod will aid in your shoot as well.

Tips:
1. Do go down to the ballroom personally to recce the place before the actual day
2. Have a good idea of the program flow for the night. It helps you plan your shoots better.
3. Be there early for the actual day and try out some test shots while the contestants are rehearsing if you can. Visualise how you are going to shoot.
4. And do eat something before the actual event. You'll hardly have time to eat on the actual event itself.

1st, u've got to ask yourself, do u really need to spend $600 on a flash?
Moreover, photography is your hobby.

As i said, U'll regret it if u get it.
Get the Sigma 500 DG Super is enough. The 4 to 6 secs refresh times is not that fast, but, it only costs you $335.

Someone here on CS selling the flash at $360 with the omnibounce. BTW, the flash comes with a built-in, slide-out wide angle diffuser.

AReality said:
1st, u've got to ask yourself, do u really need to spend $600 on a flash?
Moreover, photography is your hobby.

As i said, U'll regret it if u get it.
Get the Sigma 500 DG Super is enough. The 4 to 6 secs refresh times is not that fast, but, it only costs you $335.

Someone here on CS selling the flash at $360 with the omnibounce. BTW, the flash comes with a built-in, slide-out wide angle diffuser.

HA! it was deliberate that he said 'u'll regret' :D

heheheeeee....... Buy two sigmas, save time changing batteries :bsmilie:

Many thanks to Helmetbox, Ahbao, Clive and Areality
all these notes sure will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.