Need tips for buying cleaning kit for sensor and lens.

Telsoon said:
o_O, sensor is the one need to flip down 1 right?? my body is the mirror very dusty, i just bought a sensor pen brush and brush it. It turn out like a lot of finger print mark there.
if the mirror dirty never mind 1???

No warranty le , just over a few weeks ago. T_T
So normal blower will do??

How can your mirror sensor have finger print marks??? It mean u had touch the sensor with yr fingers before ??

Noo... is the brush mark ( like smudge finger print like that)

NEVER use a brush on your sensor!!! Only use a blower, or use a sensor swab. If you are referring to your mirror, only use the blower. I also use a $5 3M microfibre cloth on the mirror when needed, works great.

Noo... is the brush mark ( like smudge finger print like that)

Just like Bro Rashkae say..nvr use lenspen on mirror or sensor..Use blower..If ur mirror is dirty then when u use ovf that time u will see it but not on ur final photo..To me is ok as long as the main sensor is clean..Btw if u dun wanna to pay then hope u r one of the lucky one who Sony email to asking u to register for free Complimentary DSLR Cleaning Service..Some of the Sony user already got the email and registered for it just like me..

Last edited:
NEVER use a brush on your sensor!!! Only use a blower, or use a sensor swab. If you are referring to your mirror, only use the blower. I also use a $5 3M microfibre cloth on the mirror when needed, works great.
Wa... isit?? than the sales man anyhow jie shao me.T_T sensor swab seems to be quite expensive. The microfiber cloth can be use on sensor and mirror ??
Just like Bro Rashkae say..nvr use lenspen on mirror or sensor..Use blower..If ur mirror is dirty then when u use ovf that time u will see it but not on ur final photo..To me is ok as long as the main sensor is clean..Btw if u dun wanna to pay then hope u r one of the lucky one who Sony email to asking u to register for free Complimentary DSLR Cleaning Service..Some of the Sony user already got the email and registered for it just like me..
What is OVF?? sorry for the question.
i am not the lucky one. T_T and i don't know my sony acc.
Grats on your free DSLR cleaning.

Wa... isit?? than the sales man anyhow jie shao me.T_T sensor swab seems to be quite expensive. The microfiber cloth can be use on sensor and mirror ??

NO. Please read what I wrote. You DO NOT use anything on the sensor except the blower (only to blow air) or the swab if it's sticky dirt. The microfibre cloth is for the mirror and the lenses.

A lenspen, as you can tell from the name, is JUST FOR THE LENS. It's not meant for the mirror, and DEFINITELY not for the sensor.

NO. Please read what I wrote. You DO NOT use anything on the sensor except the blower (only to blow air) or the swab if it's sticky dirt. The microfibre cloth is for the mirror and the lenses.

A lenspen, as you can tell from the name, is JUST FOR THE LENS. It's not meant for the mirror, and DEFINITELY not for the sensor.
Ok, i get what you mean already.
Clean sensor use
-Swab
-Blower

Mirror use
- Microfiber cloth.

Hi Telsoon, it is good that you take the initiative to try to clean the sensor yourself. There is a website that you can watch on how to clean the sensor; http://www.photosol.com/. Personally, I have no guts to clean the sensor or the mirror as I dont want to put any smudges or worst scratches on it. I only clean the lens filters and lenses. For the lenses, I dont even clean it as I always have a filter to protect the front element. I will always make sure that I washed my hands thoroughly and wear non powder finger protector; likes the gloves but only for fingers to clean my filters. I use purasol liquid which is good for lenses and filters. My acceptance criteria is no streaks marks on the coating when it is viewed at an angle using torchlight and no colony of minute dust specks. It is hard to achieve no dust unless you are cleaning it in the clean room. I may sound fussy but it makes me feel comfortable.
My recommendation is to practise cleaning a relatively non sensitive parts such as sensor to the professional. You save the headache of buying chemicals which you rarely used.

Sorry, correction my last statement should means to leave the cleaning for sensitive parts such as sensors and mirror to the professional. Whilst practising diy on the less sensitive parts such as filters.

I used my mobile phone to post this hence the wrong statement being typed.

Telsoon said:

What is OVF?? sorry for the question.
i am not the lucky one. T_T and i don't know my sony acc.
Grats on your free DSLR cleaning.

Oh boy, u got alot to learn!

So now yr sensors got smudge or prints, what are you going to do about it??

I suggest u bring down to sony centre or someone professional to do the cleaning.

DO NOT CLEAN IT BY YOURSELF ANYMORE

Hi,most of my shoot outing are like army topo. lol
with tt said.. i do have very frequent visits from dust onto my sensor... so i use this blower that do not release air the moment u press it, instead u have to press it till a certain pressure is build up then the air is release. Therefore working like an airgun but less powerful then a airgun... and i always manage to get rid of unwelcome guest on my sensor...
The blower is made in china so do try it out before u buy, cos the 1st 2 i tried wasn't working very well. and its cheap think bout $15-$20. Hope it helps.

Hi Telsoon, it is good that you take the initiative to try to clean the sensor yourself. There is a website that you can watch on how to clean the sensor; ClubSNAP Photography Forums - The Front Page. Personally, I have no guts to clean the sensor or the mirror as I dont want to put any smudges or worst scratches on it. I only clean the lens filters and lenses. For the lenses, I dont even clean it as I always have a filter to protect the front element. I will always make sure that I washed my hands thoroughly and wear non powder finger protector; likes the gloves but only for fingers to clean my filters. I use purasol liquid which is good for lenses and filters. My acceptance criteria is no streaks marks on the coating when it is viewed at an angle using torchlight and no colony of minute dust specks. It is hard to achieve no dust unless you are cleaning it in the clean room. I may sound fussy but it makes me feel comfortable.
My recommendation is to practise cleaning a relatively non sensitive parts such as sensor to the professional. You save the headache of buying chemicals which you rarely used.
Sorry, for the misunderstanding, the dust is not on the sensor but is on the mirror. And i get what you mean. Thanks.
Oh boy, u got alot to learn!

So now yr sensors got smudge or prints, what are you going to do about it??

I suggest u bring down to sony centre or someone professional to do the cleaning.

DO NOT CLEAN IT BY YOURSELF ANYMORE
Sorry, for the misunderstanding, the dust is not on the sensor but is on the mirror. i am not sure what to do about it yet. but the dust on the mirror doesn't affect the IQ.
Hi,most of my shoot outing are like army topo. lol
with tt said.. i do have very frequent visits from dust onto my sensor... so i use this blower that do not release air the moment u press it, instead u have to press it till a certain pressure is build up then the air is release. Therefore working like an airgun but less powerful then a airgun... and i always manage to get rid of unwelcome guest on my sensor...
The blower is made in china so do try it out before u buy, cos the 1st 2 i tried wasn't working very well. and its cheap think bout $15-$20. Hope it helps.
Okay, thanks for that advice.

I just bought a giottos blower and it work wonderful on dust particles.

Well dust on mirror will not affect the image quality. Only it is irritating and not pleasing to see. Depend on the user's acceptance criteria. For me, I will just blow the dust off and dont worry about cleaning it either using brush or swabs etc. I can leave with the dust on mirror.

Hi, OT abit here. Decided to tag on this thread since it's about cleaning of dust particles instead of starting a new one. Hope TS don't mind and apologies in advance.

After swopping my lens last night, found a spot when i view thru my EVF. Initially thought it was dust particle on lens or mirror or sensor. Then i used a blower on them but spot still there. Then realized that the spot may be on the internal part of the EVF because when i view on the LCD, can't see the spot. Took some test shots with white & black background and zoom in on the pictures, also can't find the spot. Tried blowing towards the internal part behind EVF but spot still there.

Any bros here experience similiar scenario? would appreciate your advice to remove the spot. Although it did not affect the image but would still like to remove it if possible. Last resort will be sending it to service centre.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Anyone out there tried Green Clean Mini Vacuum V-3000. Just seen this in a magazine and the product looks most exiciting, as the components are so easy to DIY. I have tried cleaning dirty viewer and sensor, after each field trip covering 1000-2000 shots in all weather conditions and has given up. I would take more than half a day trying to blow out the dusts and in the process make it worst, althought I took precaution in the 'clean enviroment' of my closed bathroom. Canon charged $70 for replacing the viewer and cleaning the sensor six months ago and this time only $20 as there was only dust on the viewer which can be removed. It is expensive and I do hope that there is a service contract to reduce the cost. If Green Clean Mini Vacuum V-3000 works it will be great.