Need sum advice here on indoor photography for a wedding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpower

Feb 1, 2004
Jurong West
hi, i am using a minolta 3xi. I wan to help a friend of my take some wedding photos at the ROM.
Do i need a external flash if taken indoor?
Is the build-in flash strong enough?
Wat ISO film is the best, 400 or above, issit the higher the number the shaper and better the photo?

Thanx...... :)

nickpower said:
hi, i am using a minolta 3xi. I wan to help a friend of my take some wedding photos at the ROM.
Do i need a external flash if taken indoor?
Is the build-in flash strong enough?
Wat ISO film is the best, 400 or above, issit the higher the number the shaper and better the photo?

Thanx...... :)

Yes, it is preferred that you have an external flash.
Build in flash isn't strong enough at all, useful as a fill flash or near shots only.
ISO 400 will be better as it is faster and thus you will be able to function properly in darker area. However, it will be more grainy too.

The higher ISO number means faster flim, not neccessary better photo though.

built in flash tends to give u red eye effect..not desirable for your upcomign ROM shots

clive said:
built in flash tends to give u red eye effect..not desirable for your upcomign ROM shots
400 is about minimum in my experience. Especially if you are using "slow" lenes (e.g. f/3.5-5.6 types). You might even consider using Fujifilm Press 800, which gives very nice skin tones and very fine grain suitable for weddings and such.

And no, higher ISO does not equate to sharper pics.

Regards
CK

Some tips from me
- use ISO 400 film
- use external flash
- bounce the flash if there is ceiling
- recommend focal length from 28 to 70mm

oic.. thanx guys... i guess i need to experiment myself to know... ;)

i was approached by a friend to cover her ROM. I told her it's my first time, she insisted, and i'm on my way to shooting my first ever ROM.
so i naturally came to CS and did a search on the advice given :).. searched all the way to 2004 and hence revived this thread. Came across several advices such as going through sample pics, get spare batts etc... :cool:

Hardware wise, i intend to use the 24-85, coupled with my dedicated flash. Maybe bring along a 50/1.7 and fisheye for fun. I've some questions in mind hoping any experienced photographer can help out.
1) Care to share the usual settings you would use? I can think of when using flash, mebbe lowest ISO possible, coupled with say f5.6 and 1/60?

2) How about white balance. AWB? 5500K? Others?

3) Also, would you recommend to shoot raw?

4) I intend to use a DSLR. Would a backup film be necessary? just in case :sweat: ...

TIA :lovegrin:

iceberg said:
i was approached by a friend to cover her ROM. I told her it's my first time, she insisted, and i'm on my way to shooting my first ever ROM.
so i naturally came to CS and did a search on the advice given :).. searched all the way to 2004 and hence revived this thread. Came across several advices such as going through sample pics, get spare batts etc... :cool:

Hardware wise, i intend to use the 24-85, coupled with my dedicated flash. Maybe bring along a 50/1.7 and fisheye for fun. I've some questions in mind hoping any experienced photographer can help out.
1) Care to share the usual settings you would use? I can think of when using flash, mebbe lowest ISO possible, coupled with say f5.6 and 1/60?

4) I intend to use a DSLR. Would a backup film be necessary? just in case :sweat: ...

huh? :bigeyes: u intend 2 use an unfamiliar equipement on a day tt u will need 2 b speedy? ttz v risky. IMO u should b v familiar w/ ur cam already, wont u 1 2 d photoshoot 2 process smoothly?

my 2 cents worth:

. b v famliar w/ ur cam, dun 1 2 fumble over new cam on tt day
. best if u got ext flash
. get enough batts 4 cam
. hav enough memory
. hav enough batts 4 flash

lol.. i'm glad someone posted a reply..
thnx sore-eyez :)

i'm getting used to the DSLR at the moment.. I have approximately 1 full month to do that, so shouldn't be a problem. I was using a film SLR before i got the DSLR, just wondering whether I should bring it along. i have an ext flash, with attached bounce card.

regarding the memory, what would the recommendation be? Also format of picture, raw or extra fine jpeg?

iceberg said:
lol.. i'm glad someone posted a reply..
thnx sore-eyez :)

i'm getting used to the DSLR at the moment.. I have approximately 1 full month to do that, so shouldn't be a problem. I was using a film SLR before i got the DSLR, just wondering whether I should bring it along. i have an ext flash, with attached bounce card.

regarding the memory, what would the recommendation be? Also format of picture, raw or extra fine jpeg?

u r most welcome. :)

1 mth is gd. i m a slow learner, muahahaa... preset WB (etc) & test shoot if possible. then most times jus click away. if u r still not confident w/ ur DSLR den jus bring ur film body, is there a crop factor diff w/ ur DSLR oso? :dunno: betta check.

memory, i still use film :sweat: ... oso dunno abt pic format, IMO, u will need more memory cards if save in raw. if enough memory den shoot raw? :dunno:

iceberg said:

If you are talking about the ROM take place at the Registry Office of ROM building, your 24~85 on DSLR is not wide enough, the room are very small, my 17~55 just nice, unless is using the Cherish Suite or Love Suite. The ceremony is very short, about 5~7 minutes only, don't have time for you to change lens or switch camera.

Let says the event take place is any one the room I mention.
My answer to
  1. ISO 400 will be good, f5.6 and 1/60 are fine.
  2. You should know you camera better,
  3. Is up to you.
  4. You better bring a back up film camera, should be loaded also.

thanks guys :)

my fren says is at Love Suite. In this case, the 24-85 is usable?:sweat:
hmm.. mebbe use 17-70 for DSLR and 24-85 for SLR.:dunno:

Any nice ceilings to bounce from too? :p

iceberg said:
thanks guys :)

my fren says is at Love Suite. In this case, the 24-85 is usable?:sweat:
hmm.. mebbe use 17-70 for DSLR and 24-85 for SLR.:dunno:

Any nice ceilings to bounce from too? :p
In the room, yes. bounceable
outside, waiting area, ceiling a little high at most parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.