Need suggestion on where to learn Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

funksoulava

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of picking up conversational Japanese and hopefully later on, if my interest persists, how to read and write in katakana and hiragana.

Any suggestions on where I can take such a course? The senseh should be native Japanese and if possible, not too expensive. If the classes are conducted on weekday evenings, even better.

I used to learn at PYAESS Japanese Language School for 3 years. It's at Sinsov Building, level 2, opposite the Golden Shoe Car Park.
All teachers there are native japanese and the fees was S$200/10 lessons.
Throughout my three years I followed under this teacher, Yoko-san, on the friday 1815hrs class. She's a good and funny teacher.

They have 2 parts to 1 lesson by the way. Each part is a different teacher. The lessons were 1.5 hours for each part with a 15 minute break in between.

There's a Japanese Cultural Language School in Middle Road.

Check out: www.jcss.org.sg

I'd heard my friends taking courses and they gave glowing recommendations to this particular school. The registration for next year starts on December 26th only. :)

A I U E O
SA SI SU SE SO
MA MI MU ME MO....

:p :p

so funk wana learn nihon-go?

got a few friends in JCS located in Middle Road...

Heard is not bad.....

Adam Goi said:
Watch Anime! Now I know how to curse in Japanese ... :bsmilie:
Haha... as they always do! ;p

JCS is like one of the main japanese language centres in Singapore. In fact, they are the ones in charge of the annual end of year Japanese Language Proficiency Test. Something like a distributor then the rest are the retailers lor :blah:

JCS is not too bad - given that its relatively cheaper. Its taught by naive Japanese teachers as well. One thing though, for basic level is ok - you get to write, speak simple Japanese and learn to listen.

But for guys under female Japanese teachers, there is a danger - the way ladies speak Japanese and guys speak Japanese are relatively different :sweat: so if you get used to the way female Japanese teachers speak and speak like them.... :eek:

Otherwise, have fun :D

JCS is one of the cheapest schools you can learn Japanese in Singapore as compared to the more commercial language schools. If you are interested, better go super early on registration day. There are only limited spaces available.. the queue will snake down from the 5th floor and snake around the building.

You should see the curious aunties coming up to ask... " Got FREE gift is it?" :bsmilie:

I'll most likely switch to do a conversation course.... just barely pass for Advance Level 1..... Learning a new language is a lot of hard work.. :sweat:

If you are who I think you are, please lah, you do conversation course? hee hee. Well, you going to graduation dinner?

SYPeck said:
JCS is not too bad - given that its relatively cheaper. Its taught by naive Japanese teachers as well. One thing though, for basic level is ok - you get to write, speak simple Japanese and learn to listen.

But for guys under female Japanese teachers, there is a danger - the way ladies speak Japanese and guys speak Japanese are relatively different :sweat: so if you get used to the way female Japanese teachers speak and speak like them.... :eek:

Otherwise, have fun :D

That didn't happen to me though... my teacher taught us how to say it the guys way and to the girls how to say it their way. I think the main problem I had was, the teacher would customize her speed of talking to you and then in the end can listen to her conversation but then when you start to hear other japanese speaking very hard to catch balls.

And by the way funksoulava... I feel learn the basics to intermediate can le. With the lack of practice and environment here it's very hard to go to the point where you can master the language fluently. It's gonna be very costly and time consuming. I stopped partly cause I found out I wasn't improving, learning new things. My proficiency just became stagnant. Best is go Japan learn lah! Within 6 months you can speak like them liao. ;p

calisc said:
I'll most likely switch to do a conversation course.... just barely pass for Advance Level 1..... Learning a new language is a lot of hard work.. :sweat:

Advance Level 1? Do you mean JLPT 1??? :bigeyes:

Ooo ok... Gave me a :bigeyes: right there. I thought how come pass JLPT 1 liao still need to take conversation course. :sweat:
Been a while since I stopped. I think I super rusty le. :(

SYPeck said:
If you are who I think you are, please lah, you do conversation course? hee hee. Well, you going to graduation dinner?

Heheh.. I am who you think I am. You mean the graduation ceremony? Didn't make it down to see my results so dunno about it.

I got a total shock I didn't funk my oral this time round cos I was hemming and hawwing the whole thing through...

SYPeck said:
The unique naming of class levels by JCS :p

A complete JCS course takes about 5 years

Basic (1 yr)
Intermediate (1 yr)
Advance I (1 yr)
Advance II (1 yr)
Further Advance (1yr)

The classes and class size will get progressively smaller as you move along. ;)

Better than me - kenna last minute notice that the makeup exam is two days away, champion me then lost my exam schedule so didn't know what I am suppose to turn up for, found out about the oral last minute and then saw b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Honda sensei inside with Yamano... thought I will be dead. I keep getting two of them for my last three years of oral exam... haiz

calisc said:
A complete JCS course takes about 5 years

Basic (1 yr)
Intermediate (1 yr)
Advance I (1 yr)
Advance II (1 yr)
Further Advance (1yr)

The classes and class size will get progressively smaller as you move along. ;)
Beri small. We only have 76 pple taking the final year this year...

calisc said:
JCS is one of the cheapest schools you can learn Japanese in Singapore as compared to the more commercial language schools. If you are interested, better go super early on registration day. There are only limited spaces available.. the queue will snake down from the 5th floor and snake around the building.

You should see the curious aunties coming up to ask... " Got FREE gift is it?" :bsmilie:

If dat's true, I think I better turn up early for registration that day. Maybe kiasu abit, reach there before they open door... :D

BTW calisc, usually for elementary class, how many students per class? :dunno:

Adam Goi said:
Watch Anime! Now I know how to swear in Japanese ... :bsmilie:
I think those spoken Japanese in anime belongs to those very casual style that are not acceptable no?

Anyone enlighten us on that??

Status
Not open for further replies.