Need suggestion on where to learn Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
SYPeck said:
Better than me - kenna last minute notice that the makeup exam is two days away, champion me then lost my exam schedule so didn't know what I am suppose to turn up for, found out about the oral last minute and then saw b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Honda sensei inside with Yamano... thought I will be dead. I keep getting two of them for my last three years of oral exam... haiz

You too? Both my ex teachers. Guess u are kinda distracted :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
I think those spoken Japanese in anime belongs to those very casual style that are not acceptable no?

Anyone enlighten us on that??

There's no unacceptable or acceptable style de... they are just different styles. And oh boy the Japanese language sure have quite a few of them. There's honorific, humble, casual, dictionary... then also there are words where the women say it in one style and the guys say it in another.

Anyway the culture is changing and many young people now don't follow strictly the use of the proper forms. (ie. not using honorific towards eldery etc, girls using some of the masculine forms)

Japanese speak Jap in many different way. In Anime, you get the casual style (plus cursing etc :p). Ladies speak in a certain way, guys speak in other ways, you speak to seniors and supervisors in different ways, and to the juniors in another way.

We all start at the basic loh, the polite way. Then as you progress, you will go to the casual way and you will get exposed to the most polite way etc etc.

I usually converse with my teachers in casual way - that's why in oral exam usually die loh, cannot revert to polite way :D

xdivider said:
You too? Both my ex teachers. Guess u are kinda distracted :bsmilie:
Not your kind of distracted :p! I prefer speaking to my other senseis and these two happen to never teach me before so I get nervous when speaking to them.

alangoh said:
Try Bunka Language School... www.bunkalang.com, class size normally about 12 people, also taught by native japanese speakers...
Hmm.... Who learnt at this school?

It looks good, by forcing Hiragana on u, it seems to have an effect on language learning...

Amekaze said:
There's no unacceptable or acceptable style de... they are just different styles. And oh boy the Japanese language sure have quite a few of them. There's honorific, humble, casual, dictionary... then also there are words where the women say it in one style and the guys say it in another.

Anyway the culture is changing and many young people now don't follow strictly the use of the proper forms. (ie. not using honorific towards eldery etc, girls using some of the masculine forms)
Minus the honorifics? I guess globalisation is having an effect.

jsbn said:
Minus the honorifics? I guess globalisation is having an effect.
As long as you are not required to use Jap in your work area, honorifics does not play an important part. Even my jap friends have problems with honorifics so its a problem faced by young Japanese as well!

It's something like us now where most youngsters got problems speaking dialects lor. (me included!!! :sweat: )

Talking about dialects... Japanese also got one... like osaka-ben etc etc. The way they sound damn cool.

Amekaze said:
It's something like us now where most youngsters got problems speaking dialects lor. (me included!!! :sweat: )

Talking about dialects... Japanese also got one... like osaka-ben etc etc. The way they sound damn cool.
You forgot Okinawa - theirs even more confusing. And when I went Hokkaido backpacking last year, the Jap they speak is also a bit different.

Thanks guys for the heads up! :thumbsup: Will check out JCSS

Amekaze said:

Yah heard before.

Though never been to Osaka before but I think those living in Kyoto definitely got a certain slang to standard Japanese. Okinawa got their own dialect and Hokkaido one I believe their dialect originated from the natives... The Ainu, probably more to Russian slang or something like dat. But anywhere u go, u'll be equally as 'steam' when u hear them talking, cos they rattle quite fast.

P/S: Dunno u guyz got notice, ppl in Tokyo keep left on escalators and ppl in Kyoto, Osaka keep to their right on escalators... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.