Need suggestion on using lights + tips on indoor shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncnicolecarter

Mar 24, 2008
Europe and Australia
Need suggestion on using lights + tips on indoor shoot

Hi

I am wondering since the home room is generally dark or very limited light available. What are the basic (@ lower cost) lights I should rent / buy?

a) I need advise which light is better and from where I can rent or buy it?
b) I am ok if any one of you wants to rent or sell it to me?
c) I also need advice / guidance / tips to make the shoot nicely taken, in terms of quality as well as any other suggestions you think will help

Thanks in advance

It may help if you let us know what you intent to shoot. shooting a table top product shot and shooting people needs different lights. Shooting a baby, a couple or a family shot all require different lights :)

I usually try to use exisiting lights from a wondow for this. Defuse it with a day curtain for a soft light effect, bump up the iso for a grainy look. Of course this is a personal choice which I like.

Home room = school ?

From your questions, it sounds like you're starting from scratch. I'd advise getting a professional to do the portraits for a start (if it's for a class), you may disappoint the receipients if you are experimenting. Learn from the pro, take notes on their exact steps, mimic them until you can do it yourself.

I'd also advise taking a course in basic portrait photography wherever you are, to learn how to light and pose people properly. Baby pictures are hardest, you have to be careful of their sensitive eyes and can't take multiple flash shots in search of the perfect smiling baby image.

At the very least, go to your local library and borrow some books on portraiture and lighting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.