need some travelling advices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
ill be going overseas for over a month, and i dun think 3gb will be enough since ill be there for so long. usually wats the shutter count for a 1 month trip overseas? i know this varies from person to person, but i would like to have a rough estimation...
do u all delete photos using the camera (w/o laptop)

Nowadays in many countries there are photo shops or computer shops that can transfer your image files and burn a CDR for u, for a fee.

You can shoot 30 pictures a day or 200 a day? Times 30 and you have the answer. The best solution is get a portable hard disk 2.5 inch with a card reader casing so you can transfer pictures from your memory card after its full.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Astin said:
Nowadays in many countries there are photo shops or computer shops that can transfer your image files and burn a CDR for u, for a fee.
is this type of service usually expensive? i actually dun really trust the current cd writing technology. always got corrupt cds, corrupt files etc etc... if its expensive, i'd rather buy more cf cards :p

hmm, maybe i can go to thoes lan shops (if they have cd burner) and burn them myself... that way its cheaper can i can burn a 2 copies just in case the files corrupt.

For me I can used up to more than 1gb in a day when I go for tour, so to me 3gb for 1 month is definitely not enough. Instead of getting more CF cards, what I did was to bring along an external storage device with 20gb capacity. So I'll just transfer all my photos into the storage device every night.

If you have a laptop and can bring it along, then it would be the best option as you can store your photos inside the laptop harddisk, view/edit the photos as well as to burn them into CDs as backup. If not, then I feel that an external storage device with at least 20gb capacity would be the next best choice. If both are still not an option, then as others had mentioned is to go look for those shops that offer CD burning services. Most photo labs in the world should have these services right now.

Zaknafein said:
is this type of service usually expensive? i actually dun really trust the current cd writing technology. always got corrupt cds, corrupt files etc etc... if its expensive, i'd rather buy more cf cards :p

where are you going? th elast time I went for a 7 weeks trip to Thaland and cambodia, I came back with appr 2.5k photos, I burnt cd in Thailand and have no problem, it is not a very high tech technology, all the guy need is a card reader and a computer. CF card also can be corrupted, so no point worrying. i paid about 10 bucks for one cd, expensive by their standard, but you have already spent so much for the trip so please put it in proper perspective.

its really up to u u know and how many cards u got currently.... for me...if its a long trip...i'd lug my laptop along.....

if not...just get more cards..they are getting cheaper these days

Nikonnew said:
where are you going? th elast time I went for a 7 weeks trip to Thaland and cambodia, I came back with appr 2.5k photos, I burnt cd in Thailand and have no problem, it is not a very high tech technology, all the guy need is a card reader and a computer. CF card also can be corrupted, so no point worrying. i paid about 10 bucks for one cd, expensive by their standard, but you have already spent so much for the trip so please put it in proper perspective.
i just dun trush cds :( i have some of the cds that i have burnt last time. and for some reason i just cant retrieve those files any more! cd writing technology is so unreliable :(
thx for all the help!

Kinda depends on what format you use. RAW? Jpeg? What quality? Are you trigger happy? Most of these questions can only be answered by yourself. No point posing the question here as not everyone will take photos like you do. It's kinda like asking us what you should have for lunch today.

What I can suggest is that you edit thru the pics at the end of each day and taking out what you may not need to free up storage space. I personally travel with about 4gb worth of storage and find it ample for my photography style for about a 3 week trip, perhaps longer.

like what is said above, depends on how you use it.

depends on location, i can shoot up to 4GB of photos a day, e.g. a wedding day, or about 1-3GB of photos for a day of gd travel, or less than 1GB a day for bad travel day. i shoot at raw+jpeg small (5-6MB per set) for my nikon D50 6.1MP DSLR.

think of
1. what would you bring out in the day? is 3GB cards enough out in the streets without returning to hotel?
2. what would you bring for the luggage bag? is the laptop or the external storage medium too heavy?
3. are you going to do trekking?

depends on mobility and security, if i think i have the time to edit the photos at nite, i will bring my 1.6kg laptop (2kg including adaptor, wires & accessories). but i dun bring my laptop around in the day, it will be too heavy. if security is an issue, i won't even bring my laptop to use at nite. in that case, i will replace my laptop with an external storage medium as a nite transfer in the hotel or day transfer on the move.

and for travel out in the streets. you can either choose to invest in more cards which is light but not cost effective or to be prefer to take another 300g for a HDD with card reader.

if you need to do trekking, every grams count. it is a tight decision but you got to decide on it.

thank you. i may check out external storage and see if its cost effective and convinient.
unless it is cost effective, dun think ill be getting it. cos besides going overseas, the ext storage issnt really that useful and would probably be just sitting in 1 corner of my room...

Zaknafein said:
thank you. i may check out external storage and see if its cost effective and convinient.
unless it is cost effective, dun think ill be getting it. cos besides going overseas, the ext storage issnt really that useful and would probably be just sitting in 1 corner of my room...

if it is those sub-$100 casing, it will be cost effective as the 2.5" HDD can be used for other purposes too. but if it is those $500-800 beautiful epson storage with big viewer and card reader, then it will be a luxury or unless you always go overseas.

2nd thing to consider is that it is still heavy nevertheless.

if i can get a sub-100g 5-10GB storage with card reader at less than $300, it will be great, but i dun think it exist at the moment. :(

the computer wont be accessible for me unless i go to the local internet cafe. but then again, i might as well use a burner and then burn them into cd? albeit the capacity is less... but then again, im not those that can choke up 2gb of photos a day.

if i am going to buy anything, i would like something that is convinient as in, i do not have to go out of my hotel to transfer the files. thanks a lot zoossh for the suggestions! :) :thumbsup:

Zaknafein said:
the computer wont be accessible for me unless i go to the local internet cafe. but then again, i might as well use a burner and then burn them into cd?

that is what some ppl do. and they love it - cheap and simple, ......... provided internet cafes are everywhere.

but then i'm a kiasu person, and dun like the hassle of looking for an internet cafe of which some places would not have.

Zaknafein said:
but if i get the 2.5" HDD + casing, i would need a pc to transfer them also mah... :D

i do that when i'm back in sg at home. 20GB more than sufficient. if not, 40-60GB HDD isn't too much more expensive either.

Zaknafein said:
but if i get the 2.5" HDD + casing, i would need a pc to transfer them also mah... :D

I have one of those portable harddisk with a casing that has memory card slots (CF and SD). Built-in rechargeable battery also. You can get one of these and transfer your pics from your cards to the portable disk when on the move. Check out PK Computers in Funan IT Mall. Get to choose disk capacity also - 40GB or 80GB. Range between S$250 to 320 depending on storage size.

Zaknafein said:
i think u need a portable storage device like PD70X.
running on 4xAAs and u can choose 20, 40GB as the HDD capacity.
just plug in yr CF and start transfering.

zoossh said:
i do that when i'm back in sg at home. 20GB more than sufficient. if not, 40-60GB HDD isn't too much more expensive either.
wat i meant is while overseas, transfering from CF to the HDD...
unless its those type like muzikbug has mentioned....

muzikbug, how do i transfer the files from cf to the HDD? is there any screen/buttons on the HDD to do the transfering?

Status
Not open for further replies.