Need some tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphicz

Oct 28, 2006
Do you think you could share some tips of taking great photos..
as in how to look out for nice angles and how to have good perspectives?

btw..sometimes the colour when taken in the cam looks dull. in what way to increase the saturation or whatever in the camera settings..not editing it in ps or what though..

thanks all~:)

btw..sometimes the colour when taken in the cam looks dull. in what way to increase the saturation or whatever in the camera settings..not editing it in ps or what though..

up saturation and contrast, normally helps a little...
as for nice angle and good perspective... :nono:
if that 1 can teach, every1 will be shooting from the same angle, same place, same subject... its up to you to think...

ur eyes shld be more observant to the surroundings and ultimately when u get ur exposures and all right, picture perfect for u!

you can copy what other do for the beginning,
than you will know what's works and what are not,
than from there, you will learn how to do better than others.

Composition is very subjective and it will build over time. Of course you have to work hard on it. Read, see, observe and shoot more. I'm trying hard to learn and improve on that area too.

ooh..thanks all :) i'll try hard!

Hmm...some tips for you. Like...when you see something, try to find ways and different angles to make the picture look INTERESTING. Always try thinking "hmm, how would the photo look if it's in this angle?" ----> something liddat

As for colour, try adjusting your camera "optimizing image" to vivid. Hope this helps!;)

Hi graphicz,

Browsing through good photographer's work is one fo the best ways to gain insights into good perspective. When you see a photo that you think is well-taken, ask yourself questions like 'what I like the photo?', or 'what makes the photo so nice that I want to take a 2nd look?' Then apply those insights the next time you shoot.:thumbsup:

As for colours, I recalled you were using the nikon D40. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a setting for you to set the camera mode to 'vivid' or 'more vivid' for better colour saturation. That, is if you intend to do without any photo processing in the computer but yet wants to have 'more' colours. In my opinion, some of your photos could have turn out dim or have dull colour due to your high shutter speed causing lesser intake of light. Try lowering your shutter and you should have brighter and more vibrant colours. ;)

Hi graphicz,

Browsing through good photographer's work is one fo the best ways to gain insights into good perspective. When you see a photo that you think is well-taken, ask yourself questions like 'what I like the photo?', or 'what makes the photo so nice that I want to take a 2nd look?' Then apply those insights the next time you shoot.:thumbsup:

As for colours, I recalled you were using the nikon D40. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a setting for you to set the camera mode to 'vivid' or 'more vivid' for better colour saturation. That, is if you intend to do without any photo processing in the computer but yet wants to have 'more' colours. In my opinion, some of your photos could have turn out dim or have dull colour due to your high shutter speed causing lesser intake of light. Try lowering your shutter and you should have brighter and more vibrant colours. ;)

I also have the same problem when I shoot yesterday at the botanical garden.. I am using 300D and Tamron 28-75 2.8. The colors do no come out vivid.. they came out dull.. as per you suggestion, does lowering the shutter speed and decreasing the aperture(for correct exposure) really help to be vibrant colors..

I am very hesitant in editing my pictures as I want to have more discipline in shooting.. do professional often edit their pix via photo editing software? or do they get their product straight from the camera?

I am very hesitant in editing my pictures as I want to have more discipline in shooting.. do professional often edit their pix via photo editing software? or do they get their product straight from the camera?

A very common misconception and unfortunately, you have it.

Post editing is part and parcel of photography and it should be incorporated into your work flow. This happens way back for those who still remember this thing called film. If you skip poset editing, you are just missing out on opportunities to bring out the full potential of your photos. Don't forget, the moment you fire the shutter, you are already using a computer to take your pictures and certain degree of manipulation is applied already, even for images straight out of the camera.

Look at what the other photographers are doing and learn from them, both the good and the bad. Try developing a critical eye and identify what you think works for a photo. Once you filer out the things you don't like, you'll start to develop your unique approach to photography, so called "style". Then all the angles and perspectives will come naturally.

Don't be too quick to click the shutter and move on. Study the things you photograph in great depth. See thing most others don't see and make out things that other people cannot sense.

Don't forget to know the tools of your trade as well. learn to use your camera well and when it becomes your second nature, you can capture anything that comes your way without thinking too much about how to operate it and concentrating on the things you are capturing.

Learn to read the light when you take your photos. The colours of your photos will improve dramatically if you know what's the best light to shoot with.

A very common misconception and unfortunately, you have it.

Post editing is part and parcel of photography and it should be incorporated into your work flow. This happens way back for those who still remember this thing called film. If you skip poset editing, you are just missing out on opportunities to bring out the full potential of your photos. Don't forget, the moment you fire the shutter, you are already using a computer to take your pictures and certain degree of manipulation is applied already, even for images straight out of the camera.

whew! I am glad you said that.. I thought those vivid pictures are taken straight out of the camera co'z I just can't get a rich vibrant colored pictures using my gear.. I even thought of buying those 'L' lenses to get vibrant pictures (though i can make the colors of my pictures vibrant thru post process).. I'm just about to quit shooting because of this frustration.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.