Need some tips on accommodation in Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Hi pals,

I am going Bali in July with wife. I have booked the tickets a couple of months ago but was very busy lately. Now I start planing itinerary and accommodation. Let's say I have a totla of 5 days and want to go south, central and north. How should I plan? Any tips on accommodation?

Thanks!
tom

i've been to bali a few times.

while it is obvious that one should be bowled over by all the famed beach resorts in bali, i personally prefer the often overlooked mountainous regions in bali. a couple of times i spent about five days there and i split my stay 2 days by the beach resorts and 3 days up in the mountains.

the mountains give a refreshing touch compared to the commercialized towns by the beach. the laidback surrounding and the cool morning air and mountain dew are therapeutic for over-stressed city folks like us. find one lodging as high up as possible. believe me, the air can be more cooling than genting highlands.

in bali there is an entire gamut of accommodation that suits all budgets. you can get US$10-a-night budget rooms to US$1,000 presidential suites. it is all up to your budget.

well, my suggestion would be for you to stay at a beach followed by a getaway in the mountains so that you can enjoy the best of both worlds in bali. the most famous beach is of course at kuta. other seaside places such as sanur, jimbaran and nusa dua are popular too. you may even want to check out some of those diving or dolphin-watching day cruise. in ubud, you can find many handicraft and cultural artifacts. accomodation is aplenty there but it is not by the beach though. in the highlands you could check out kintamani and bedugul. there is not much to do there except than to soak in all the refreshing sights and sounds. but then that's the whole idea, isn't it?

bear in mind that bali has so much to offer and is significantly larger than singapore and the road network is not very advanced. hence, it may be wiser to stay longer at fewer places and enjoy yourself rather than trying to cover too wide an area and be stressed out by all the travelling.

if i were to visit bali again (which is just a matter of time), i will do the same again without hesitation. nonetheless, this is all a matter of personal preference. just sharing another perspective.

I second the suggestion for a getaway in Ubud, simply stunning place. Stay somewhere in Nusa Dur (beautiful part of the island) for a few days then go and stay in Ubud, well worth it.

Actually from my experience in Bali, stay anywhere except Kuta. There is nothing there that you can't get elsewhere on the island, except ugly people (and I don't mean the way they look).

cyber_m0nkey said:
I second the suggestion for a getaway in Ubud, simply stunning place. Stay somewhere in Nusa Dur (beautiful part of the island) for a few days then go and stay in Ubud, well worth it.

Actually from my experience in Bali, stay anywhere except Kuta. There is nothing there that you can't get elsewhere on the island, except ugly people (and I don't mean the way they look).

i did the above and must agree it's a great suggestion.

i don't know about the ugly part though, cos the people i meet were all very nice.

nope i disagre...
i would say that all Kuta, Nusa Dua, Ubud are all nice place..they are all quite nearby to each other though..with ubud maybe slightly further away..
shud try staying nearby the sea, shops, and places whr the native balinese stay...its interesting lookin at their style of living

hotmilo said:
i've been to bali a few times.

while it is obvious that one should be bowled over by all the famed beach resorts in bali, i personally prefer the often overlooked mountainous regions in bali. a couple of times i spent about five days there and i split my stay 2 days by the beach resorts and 3 days up in the mountains.

the mountains give a refreshing touch compared to the commercialized towns by the beach. the laidback surrounding and the cool morning air and mountain dew are therapeutic for over-stressed city folks like us. find one lodging as high up as possible. believe me, the air can be more cooling than genting highlands.

in bali there is an entire gamut of accommodation that suits all budgets. you can get US$10-a-night budget rooms to US$1,000 presidential suites. it is all up to your budget.

well, my suggestion would be for you to stay at a beach followed by a getaway in the mountains so that you can enjoy the best of both worlds in bali. the most famous beach is of course at kuta. other seaside places such as sanur, jimbaran and nusa dua are popular too. you may even want to check out some of those diving or dolphin-watching day cruise. in ubud, you can find many handicraft and cultural artifacts. accomodation is aplenty there but it is not by the beach though. in the highlands you could check out kintamani and bedugul. there is not much to do there except than to soak in all the refreshing sights and sounds. but then that's the whole idea, isn't it?

bear in mind that bali has so much to offer and is significantly larger than singapore and the road network is not very advanced. hence, it may be wiser to stay longer at fewer places and enjoy yourself rather than trying to cover too wide an area and be stressed out by all the travelling.

if i were to visit bali again (which is just a matter of time), i will do the same again without hesitation. nonetheless, this is all a matter of personal preference. just sharing another perspective.
Thanks! This is what I am planning, a few days on beach and the rest going to central part. Do you book the hotel/guest in Singapore or after arrival?

well, to be safe it is recommended that you pre-book a hotel before arriving at your first stop. for your second stop, you could sniff around locally if you have the time there. if you want to be extra safe, pre-book both hotels. i've tried both methods - no problem either way. from experience, it is not difficult to book a hotel when i was there especially if it was not a peak season. problem is we don't know when the peak season is, do we? ;) Google the hotels to get an idea.

oh, by the way, the best way to get around the island is to hire a vehicle with a local driver cum guide. it is not very expensive, and the convenience and flexibility are well worth it. check with the hotel. i personally got to know one such person who has since become an acquaintance. we exchange greetings now and then.

one tip - ask for a discount wherever you go. even if you book a hotel, especially those locally run ones. you'll be surprised that they can be generous. i am not saying that we should "tekan" them until their face turn blue and so much so that they can't earn a profit. do it in moderation and with compassion and we all will end up happy.

Hi hotmilo, thanks again! I have actually read some info about Bali and I basically have a plan in mind. But want to get some more tips from local photographers. Yes I will book a hotel for my first stop and also rent a car/driver to move around. Bali isn't cheap at all but all I heard are friendly locals. Do you have some photos to share?

tomshen, I have been to Bali 2 times, and stayed in Ubud for 1st time and Lovina for 2nd time, Ubud is in the centre of Bali while Lovina is at the north end of Bali. (The south is Kota and beaches, which is no different than other beaches in the world).
You can use internet and just reserve your 1st night hotel, because the hotel photo on the internet and the real one may be A LOT OF DIFFERENCE. If u dont like the hotel then the next morning u check out and can always find another better one down the road.
I dont like those 5 star all-comfort all-aircon hotel but prefer the cheaper Bali style hotel, something like this:
DSC02456.jpg

hotmilo said:
oh, by the way, the best way to get around the island is to hire a vehicle with a local driver cum guide. it is not very expensive, and the convenience and flexibility are well worth it. check with the hotel. i personally got to know one such person who has since become an acquaintance. we exchange greetings now and then.

if you need one, you can contact Ketut +62 816 4700 827 or just press 0816 4700 827 if you're calling from Indonesia.
Tell him you got the number from Rudy, Mr. Budi's son from Jakarta.
My father has a small house in Bali (we're from Jakarta, Indonesia), and he's the caretaker. His day job is tour guide. Bring a lonely planet book so you are informed ..and if you need to, you can always show him where do yo u want to go ..
Last time it cost us Rp 400.000 to Rp 500.000 (don't remember the exact price) for a 7 passenger car a day, gasoline included.

enjoy your stay ...

Last year, when I was there I stay a few days at the The Oasis Beach Resort & Spa. http://www.theoasis.info/benoa_thehotel.htm
It is at Benoa which is the south east side of Bali, very far away from Kuta but very quiet and peaceful. The hotel interiors is very Zen like.

I've also stay a few days at Biyukukung Suites & Spa which is at Ubud. It has rice padi fields just in front of the room. http://www.biyukukung.net/

tomshen said:
Hi hotmilo, thanks again! I have actually read some info about Bali and I basically have a plan in mind. But want to get some more tips from local photographers. Yes I will book a hotel for my first stop and also rent a car/driver to move around. Bali isn't cheap at all but all I heard are friendly locals. Do you have some photos to share?
you are most welcome.

unfortunately, my photos were on film and i did not scan them.

anywayz, hope you have a splendid time there. i am quite sure you will.

cheers.

hey thanks all for your time and kind tips!

Sorry saw the thread late. Was away in BKK and on shoot last few days.

1) Hire a vehicle for the trip. They normally hang out outside the hotel and will tout at you to take their services. Reasonably cheap. The advantage with them is they know the sights. Show them your map and they will advise on the route to take.

2) Places to go.
-) Ubud is a more rustic place with a lot of shops selling arts and crafts and one shop that sells nice t shirts, hand painted and I bought one that still has the rich nice colors after countless washes. Cant remember the address but it is the only one in Ubud and you can't miss it. Ubud is like a cross road and the shops are centered around the crossroads. Go to the Ubud market too, can buy nice baskets.

-) Kuta area is your typical ang moh tourist place with lots of shops and pubs. A lot of surf shops selling surf wear. So you can buy your surf wear there.
There is also a street nearby which I am really sorry I cant remember the name where there are nice furniture for sale. Wooden bowls, tables chairs etc.

-) There is a restaurant called Ku de ta, a fairly high class looking place where you should go for lunch or tea just to experience being treated like a king. The prices are not ex.. singapore prices like SGD 20 plus for a main. Near Ku de ta, there is a french and italian restaurant that is really dirt cheap and good. Ask the taxi drivers, they will know where it is.

-) Try the Northern side of the island, it is quite interesting with the temples and beaches.

-) Jimbaran is like newton circles in which seafood is served grilled and you sit by the beach. However do note that be careful being overcharged.

One thing to note, there are quite a few processions and festivals that spring out of the blue so have your camera at the ready.

Hope it helps.

Tom, the thing about Bali is that you will definately want to go back again and again. In most of the places there will be plenty of opportunities for you to shoot ... people, temples,buildings, culture. I suggest you do not try to be too ambitious to go to too many places since you are with your wife. Decide whether you want to be near the beach or go to the hillside (Central). Then go back again (I am sure you will want to again - been there about four times, and planning to go back again) for those places you miss.
For the beach, as usual, Sanur (for relaxation, as well as looking at the hotels, like Hyatt, etc) and Kuta (for cheap shopping and entertainment, food and stay).
If money is not a problem.... haha... go to the hills ... room rate as high as USD2,000 per nite!
I feel that Bali is really a very nice and friendly place ..... love it :heart:
Dont miss the spa/massage there!.
Bring back nice images for us, king!

cyber_m0nkey said:
There is nothing there that you can't get elsewhere on the island, except ugly people (and I don't mean the way they look).

You mean there aren't ugly ppl right? I've yet to met a single Balinese who qualified, and that's amazing. Everyone just seem so nice there, and i'm not talking abt those who earn my tourist dollar.

To TS:

If you are going with tour agency, I highly recommend looking for packages with "Aston Hotel" Their in-house limo rental rates is pretty ok, and the driver can be some kind of guide to bring you around depending on what kind of places u like.

Canonised said:
If money is not a problem.... haha... go to the hills ... room rate as high as USD2,000 per nite!
I feel that Bali is really a very nice and friendly place ..... love it :heart:
Dont miss the spa/massage there!.
Bring back nice images for us, king!

I recommend Tirtha Luhur! USD$5600 I think! 180 degree full sea view from cliff.

Thank all buddies for your suggestions! Ya I want to stay USD5.6k one but let me stricke a toto first... heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.