Need some suggestions for new lens!

Indescribable

Jul 11, 2010
East
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens to help in shooting street candids. Well, I personally felt shy to go near to my subject when taking shots, so I wonder with the budget of below 1k what lens will you all recommend me? I'm now equip with my kit lens (18-105mm), and wondering if I should get Nikon AF 85mm f/1.8D, which has a focal length of 127.5mm on dx camera, or should I go for a nikon 55-200mm plus a AF 50mm f/1.4D? I won't be shooting in low light situation that often.

The reason why I wanna get a longer reach lens its because sometimes I felt restricted with the zoom range of my current kit lens, plus like I've mentioned, I will tend to feel shy to go near my subject. Yup ;)

The issue isn't on the lens then if you feel that your are too shy. Your 18-105 is a very good walk about lens already. Should give you adequate reach. Maybe you should ask ard on tips on street photography instead.

In this case I feel that getting a zoom lens will not solve your problem as a longer zoom will make you even more indiscreet and create more awareness of your presence with the dslr.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens to help in shooting street candids. Well, I personally felt shy to go near to my subject when taking shots, so I wonder with the budget of below 1k what lens will you all recommend me? I'm now equip with my kit lens (18-105mm), and wondering if I should get Nikon AF 85mm f/1.8D, which has a focal length of 127.5mm on dx camera, or should I go for a nikon 55-200mm plus a AF 50mm f/1.4D? I won't be shooting in low light situation that often.

The reason why I wanna get a longer reach lens its because sometimes I felt restricted with the zoom range of my current kit lens, plus like I've mentioned, I will tend to feel shy to go near my subject. Yup ;)
85mm is even shorter than your 18-105 at max reach, so I don't understand why you shortlisted this lens.

You can probably consider 55-200VR or 55-300VR, but i would tend to agree with Atarandas... if you don't have the personality to shoot street photography, work on that first. The type of street photography I enjoy looking in the galleries section is more the 'up-close' type, usually taken with fairly short focal lengths.

Okay, so I must try to get closer to my subject right? But the problem is some of them will quickly cover themselves or turn away when I go too near :(

Indescribable said:
Okay, so I must try to get closer to my subject right? But the problem is some of them will quickly cover themselves or turn away when I go too near :(

Dunno leh, but I find street shots taken from far away are kind of unflattering. I equate it to spying :)

One thing about long zoom if you want to 'snipe' is, you may get people/moving objects which may get in your way (in between you and your subject) and missing that moment. Hmm, just from experience though.

Shoot more, understand your style and see what your equipment can offer you, work with it. I think that gives greater satisfaction then jumping on the buying bandwagon (though if $ is no issue, there's no issue :) ).

Happy shooting (and buying if so happens!) :p

I'd suggest you do a search or post another topic on how to shoot street candids.

My 2cents:
- try not to look like a 'photographer'. Sometimes looking like a tourist helps. After a while people ignore the idiot with the camera stuck to his eye, taking photos of everything ard
- don't just whip out your camera and shoot the subject. As above, if you're shooting everything around and not just the subject, they are less likely to object or avoid. After you get the shot you want, pretend to keep shooting something else in the vicinity.
- a small setup helps. I love 35mm rangefinders for this - people probably think they are compacts. I could shoot from 2-3m away and avoid undue attention. With a DSLR, the equivalent distance is ard 5-6m.

Dunno leh, but I find street shots taken from far away are kind of unflattering. I equate it to spying :)

i concur. i dun like using zoom for street shoots.

in fact i am using 35mm on my ff and i really had to go up close to my subject on the streets.

Very much depends on the perspective that you intend to portray in streets, wide vs tele. of course the other thing being telephoto (zooms) can create a little more unwanted attention, and perceived to be a little more detached in a way.

24mm and 35mm equivalents being my fav for streets.

Ryan

If you are not very picky about image quality, maybe you can go those zoom lens (18-2xxmm)? Then can cover from wide angle to 2xxmm telephoto range...

Some prefer a 35mm while some prefer a 200mm for streets, it all boils down to personal preference.

Okay thanks guys for some of your suggestions, guess I shall really play with my kit lens first until I find a limitation then perhaps I can loan out the lens that I'm aiming for to try out before purchasing it :) ! Shall try what you guys recommended me to do tomorrow, hope I'm able to get positive shots :)

Depends on what you want in the shot. People and candid, telephoto is fine, gives subject isolation as well. Shorter focal lengths usually for a more environmental shot.

You already have a 18-105mm. Try it out using all the focal lengths you are considering (Eg. 85mm) and see if it actually works out for you.

IMHO, you'd need to work on the technique of taking people shots in the public more than a new lens.

IMHO, you'd need to work on the technique of taking people shots in the public more than a new lens.

I agree with this point. Work on the mindset first before considering getting a new lens :). Nonetheless, if TS really have to get a new lens then I would suggest the 55-200mm as well. If you dun mind selling your kit lens and top up some cash, then I would suggest you go for the 18-200mm VR, its a very good walkabout lens.

Last edited:
Just offering my personal opinion of a newbie, I like to shoot street and most of the time, I use a 70-300mm and occasionally 50mm. It also depend, I think, on what the person taking the photograph is comfortable with. For me, I like using tele not for sniping but because I feel that it makes the subject I shoot stand out more versus the environment. Also, sometimes the subject is quite far, and if I use 50 mm, they are going to look tiny or I have no time or convenience to chase after my subject. I'm not sure if my thinking is correct, but its just my personal preference and humble opinion. Cheers. :)

when i shoot street... i dun like to see subjects that far away from me... i prefer to blend into the surroundings and shoot my subjects and getting close to them. cos i happen to be there to capture the moment and not trying to catch a moment so to be there.

hence a zoom dun work for me.