Need Some Suggestions for Camera Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuguKYM

Sep 7, 2009
Commonwealth
I know that there are a lot of threads that ask this kind of things. However I need some opinions about this and hopefully some people will help me. I welcome all suggestions.:cool:

OK, so this is my case. I do not have Digital Camera before (use my father 'really old' 1990 Nikon Film Camera) but I use my GF's camera (now she is using Olympus mju 9000) a lot. The reason is simple, I was student this July, have no income in foreign country, and only got "sufficient money" to survive in Singapore. Lolz.... :bsmilie:

Now, I am working and I can spend roughly 1800-2500 to buy DSLR and equipments without really hurting my wallet ( come from my salary and 'unused' savings). Unfortunately :bheart:, something happened today, and I need to realise roughly arround 600 from this budget. At the end I can spend only around 1400-1900 for DSLR and its equipments.
But, by "squeezing" my wallet, I can get another 500 from my savings. Ouch....

At first, I was going to get d90 kit + 1 prime + 1 tele + other eq ( dry cabi, bag, tripods, filter, exc). But with my budget now, it is a bit hard to do. Thinking to buy d90 kit and some equipments in this case but still confuse since no tele lens. My decision to get d90 is because I want to have camera that working well for the next at least 5 years. Altough to be honest d5000 and 500D come in my mind. Fiuh...

Then my 'old alternative' come back to my mind. How about proconsumer camera? Hum, I remember that I had 'inner fight' in my mind last week, and willing to spend 600-800 for this alternative (for camera itself). I am not sure about this proconsumer accesory, do I need to buy any equipments? However, in this case I want to buy at least a camera that will complement my DSLR in the future. After searching around, I was decided to get superzoom camera to help my DSLR. However I find that the image quality is not that good. Hum... but then my future DSLR can 'support' image quality. however, I am still looking another proconsumer type camera that can complement my future DSLR. I am not sure whether Olympus 590UZ or Nikon P90 or any other superzoom are in bridge camera category, but as long as I can practice my DSLR and complement my DSLR, I do not mind to get it (of course with price consideration). ;p

So at the end I am stucked here, sitting in my office desk and thinking about this matters.

The reason I want to get my camera this week is because I have my friend coming ( can claim gst, maybe), comex 2009 is in the schedule (just to let me have more alternatives), and will be on my way to Switzerland next week. Hopefully I do not need to 'fight' with my GF's brother to borrow the camera, since he loves my GF's camera. :bsmilie:

Kind of photo shoot that I love to make, hum it is hard to say. Practically I shoot anything that I find interesting, from scenery to birds shooting, from indoor shoot to outdoor shoot, from small objects to sky. That is why I want to have at least one prime and 1 tele for my DSLR (and that is why I want to get DSLR, no lens can be 'best' for every shoot, that is my opinion).

So hopefully anybody can share your opinion and suggestion.

Thank you for your help and hopefully I can be a 'member' of this community.
note: have been 'surfing' this forum for the last 2 weeks and love to get some more perspective about my case.

Hello...firstly a warm welcome to you.

Given today's technology, any entry level camera will be able to produce decent pictures if you use them within their limits.

Do remember that you would need lenses, filters and a dry cabinet as well, so do not dump all your money on the body. I am still using an old 6MP cam which I am still very satisfied with. Perhaps you may want to take a look at the 'Personal Classified' section to get a 2nd hand body if you don't mind.

As mentioned earlier, all cameras from any brands (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus) are able to give you good results. I would suggest that you go to a shop to have a feel of the cameras from the different brands to see which is more comfortable in your hands and the user interface is more appealing to you cos you are the one using the cam.

Yes, Olympus 590UZ or Nikon P90 is in the bridge/prosumer cam class.

Hope you can get a cam which suits you and your wallet soon.

write so long make me :confused:

since u already make up ur mind on D90...then BBB lor...

Hi HuguKYM,

If budget is really an issue, why not consider getting a capable compact camera like the Olympus E-P1, Panasonic LX3, or Fuji F200EXR to fill the void at this moment, so that you'll have a decent camera for your upcoming trip, and give you more time to save up for the D90 kit that you're planning to get? And you can still use the compact as a "everyday follow you where ever you go" camera after getting the D90. I'm sure the above mentioned compacts will be able to last you at least a few months or more while you're saving up.

But of course you have enough budget for the D90 already, just go ahead and get it.

Last edited:
@Galdor
Thank you for the warm welcome. I like olympus 590UZ more than NIKON p90. For the DSLR, I try both of them ( canon and Nikon), I think I do not have any preference between them. :)

@jikk76
lolz... sorry... this is the first time I make a post, so I want to make it clear... But summary is I want to fill the gap in meantime... So I hope that maybe I can buy some proconsumers camera that can be use as the complement ('support') of DSLR or go to d90 with a bit of 'pain' :confused:

@Ziploc
Hum, yeah, I never think about that. I will do my 'homework' now... lolz Thank you for suggestion... Enough budget to buy d90 roughly... hahaha... maybe just kit + necessary equipment :p

Hello and welcome to club snap.

I can feel your pain.... Oh well, since you are already sure that you want a D90, and your budget seems to fit, you can go ahead and get a D90. Then you'd need a filter and a SD card and a camera bag and you're all set to go for your Switzerland trip (which i believe is your main concern =D )

With the 18-105 kit lens, you're quite covered, cept for macro and super tele. However if you can source for some older nikon lens which are cheap and still provide superb images. I.e. AF 75-300.

But that will really be stretching your budget... I still think it's better to keep savings than to spend on camera gear. BBB virus once start, not easy to control. Best to not start at all until you're ready~

Maybe the best option is to get a good PnS. And it's also good cause of the convince of carrying around. I remember once i blew 3k of my savings to get some lens, when i should have waited... oh well. haha.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Hello and welcome to club snap.

I can feel your pain.... Oh well, since you are already sure that you want a D90, and your budget seems to fit, you can go ahead and get a D90. Then you'd need a filter and a SD card and a camera bag and you're all set to go for your Switzerland trip (which i believe is your main concern =D )

With the 18-105 kit lens, you're quite covered, cept for macro and super tele. However if you can source for some older nikon lens which are cheap and still provide superb images. I.e. AF 75-300.

But that will really be stretching your budget... I still think it's better to keep savings than to spend on camera gear. BBB virus once start, not easy to control. Best to not start at all until you're ready~

Maybe the best option is to get a good PnS. And it's also good cause of the convince of carrying around. I remember once i blew 3k of my savings to get some lens, when i should have waited... oh well. haha.

Better to be safe then sorry.

That is exactly my concern... Now I feel like I half ready to buy D90... I might be able to get another 1000 top up by next week, which is not really a good idea, since I will be going on Friday.... and this one is uncertainty... and maybe a bit 'itchy' in my pocket... lolz :confused:

So Any suggestion for Camera that can be use to 'support' DSLR? (right now doing some homework about Pen, F200EXR, DMC LX3)

And I am kind of person that do not mind with 'heavy item', so in the future, I will bring these camera and DSLR together when I know I will take some photos... Still trying to find what the disadvantages of DSLR are.

I carry a Canon G10 on my trips! They work real fine! :)

My primary camera is a Nikon D5000. :)

A camera to support your main DSLR, would be an older DSLR so u don't need to change lens. =P

or a bridge camera. Usually when u have a DSLR already, the only thing u will lack (once u have lens and all), is portability.

Budgetwise that would be olympus dslr E-520 with 2 small & light kits lenses ,value at cheapest

A camera to support your main DSLR, would be an older DSLR so u don't need to change lens. =P

or a bridge camera. Usually when u have a DSLR already, the only thing u will lack (once u have lens and all), is portability.

there is still D3k, those entry-level cams who are good for those on budget and is very portable, and convenient to carry around.

Budgetwise that would be olympus dslr E-520 with 2 small & light kits lenses ,value at cheapest

I got offer from HN Jurong Point 799 if I am not mistaken, but last set that they have last friday... they throw a 8GB, bag, and tripod if I am not mistaken...

But that time, no problem with my 'old' situation... go straight to D90... now hum, try to get second tought about it...

If you want to spend, go straight for D90 or D700. No point getting anything in between. Sooner will need to upgrade also. Just my 2 cents.

Either go for it, or dun go. If u can stretch. D90 + kit lens + filter will be more than enuff to cover most stuff. If u bring around alot, no need dry cabinet also.

there is still D3k, those entry-level cams who are good for those on budget and is very portable, and convenient to carry around.
How about D5000? I was thinking to get D5000 if I can get some good offer... I will try to compare it with D3000... have not done any research about this D3000

Hum that also be an option... but if that the case, I do not need to use my second camera (since I assume my main DSLR is more superior) if I have time to change the lens, right?

Disadvantages of DSLRs?
1. Bulky size: u will bring it out less often ==> less pictures taken
2. Contains more glass: u need a dedicated camera bag to store it, else the glass/lens might break accidentally.
3. Intimidating: Security guards will pounced on u once u pull out a DSLR from yr bag, as compared to a compact camera.
4. Options/choices to accessories: too many choices of lenses, flash, etc, that it can be mind-boggling. Many DSLR users buy the idea of "choices" but ironically ended up buying only 1 kit lens (as it serves them well enough) => the DSLR become a prosumer cam.
5. Price of body and lens and the accessories. They are really expensive if u add the costs up together.

I think fellow DSLR users may have more "complaints" to add. :)

And I am kind of person that do not mind with 'heavy item', so in the future, I will bring these camera and DSLR together when I know I will take some photos... Still trying to find what the disadvantages of DSLR are.

Disadvantages of DSLRs?
1. Bulky size: u will bring it out less often ==> less pictures taken
2. Contains more glass: u need a dedicated camera bag to store it, else the glass/lens might break accidentally.
3. Intimidating: Security guards will pounced on u once u pull out a DSLR from yr bag, as compared to a compact camera.
4. Options/choices to accessories: too many choices of lenses, flash, etc, that it can be mind-boggling. Many DSLR users buy the idea of "choices" but ironically ended up buying only 1 kit lens (as it serves them well enough) => the DSLR become a prosumer cam.
5. Price of body and lens and the accessories. They are really expensive if u add the costs up together.

I think fellow DSLR users may have more "complaints" to add. :)

You forgot the mention the 493 bags that are sitting in the corner of your room, and your GF complaining non stop that you don't spend enough time/money on her. ;)

When i go out, i find myself switching macro and UWA lens alot -_-

Sometimes, by the time i get my macro lens on, and flash and etc etc, the insect disappear liao. Just an extreme example. I think i was mainly thinking about shooting for event, have a sigma 50 f/1.4 and a 24-70 to swap around. I've never done that though, so it's pure speculation ....

6. Your wife/gf might complain if u shoot more sexy models than u shoot her (or yr kids if any).

You forgot the mention the 493 bags that are sitting in the corner of your room, and your GF complaining non stop that you don't spend enough time/money on her. ;)

Lolz... even before I get my camera, My GF said that I always talk about camera recently.... :bsmilie:

OT here.

It's quite interesting. Today i was looking for a Hoya ND400 77mm or B+W ND110 or 120. Went to TK, CP, TCW, PnG, AP, OP, J316, Ballyfoto (haha the guy qoute me 100 for a non coated ND4 sooo funny but was just for kicks). All dun have.

But my friend come along, and he got lost in all the technical jargon when i started talking to the sales peoples lol. U can do that to your GF too just to annoy them =P.

Status
Not open for further replies.