Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

May 16, 2008
Singapore
Need help with my new D60 just brought it yesterday. Was trying out different shots, wanted to take a photo of my mother, what i want is to make the background behind my mother blur blur. What i do is set the camera to manual and use the focus ring, turn and turn and look into the viewfinder ( everything become blur blur ), pressed shutter-released button halfway to focus, and dada the whole photo become blur, everything is blur nothing is sharp. Do i need to turn back the focus ring to the correct position, whats the switch beside the viewfinder - left side and what do u call that kind of shot? Sorry for my noob questions and please don't flame me or scold me. Thank you

by turning the ring i think you are are using a manual focus...switch you camera to auto focus ( a flick at the camera body front ,bottom left) .

If you want to use manual mode and have a blur back ground ..set you aperture to the highest F stop ( smallest number ) and turn your focal length to max . Atjust you shutter speed accordingly to set the correct exposure ....lastly do remember to set ISO ...boost up the ISO if lighting is bad...half pressure the shutter realse button the subject will be in focus then squeeze all the way ...and walao..perfect shot

hope this help ..there is no stupid question ...everyone is here to learn ...;)

do read up some articles on the web ..really help alot ...enjoy your gear

You're combining two ways of focussing here, which makes it go wrong. You either manual focus (with the focus ring on the lens), or auto focus by pressing the shutter release button. You cannot do both.
You choose between manual focus and auto focus with a small lever next to the lens which says M/AF (at least on my D70).
The M you choose is probably with the dial on top. That is not choosing between manual focus and autofocus, but choosing the exposure settings.

Anyway - what you want will be done in a different way, namely by choosing the aperture and by the zooming range.
If you choose a low f-number, the background will be blur. If you choose a high f-number the whole picture will become sharp.
So set the dial on the top to A and make the aperture number as low as you can. Then use your zoom to zoom in on your mother from a distance (and make sure there is some distance between her and the background), that way you'll get the effect you're after.

also look in this note: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544 , there is a lot more info there.

Need help with my new D60 just brought it yesterday. Was trying out different shots, wanted to take a photo of my mother, what i want is to make the background behind my mother blur blur. What i do is set the camera to manual and use the focus ring, turn and turn and look into the viewfinder ( everything become blur blur ), pressed shutter-released button halfway to focus, and dada the whole photo become blur, everything is blur nothing is sharp. Do i need to turn back the focus ring to the correct position, whats the switch beside the viewfinder - left side and what do u call that kind of shot? Sorry for my noob questions and please don't flame me or scold me. Thank you

Chanced upon your thread..

I am not familiar with D60, but I am sure u can find a 'Av' on the dial of your camera, switch to that, and sun use MF, switch back to AF on your lens instead. If u know how to adjust the aperture on your camera, turn it till u have the smallest number. Focus on the face of your dearest, and click. You sld then have a focused face, and a 'blur blur' background.

After that, u might want to consider reading up some books on basic photography, and understand some basic relationship between aperture, shutter speed and their effect on th eimages. That will help a long way, and certainly avoid ppl 'scolding' u. haha.

Enjoy your shoots.

dan

no one should laugh or flame you.... or scold you, we've all came through the same path....

i am not going to answer you, plenty of answer already....

well pal, *pat on the shoulder*... this is where it all begins....

welcome to DSLR world... :)

Forget to tell u guys that i am using the 18-55mm kit lens. Still reading the manual book to know more about the function. Btw, can i put my D60 back into the original box if i am not using it and will it harm the cam? What about the up-down switch beside the view-finder, what
its for? Thank you all for the help.

try to keep the lens mount on the camera as this prevent dust from getting into it....

the small dial beside the view finder ? it's in the manual... look it up.... :)

The switch beside the viewfinder is the 'diopter adjustment control', i don't understand what is this. If i move the switch UP, it gets a little blur and the size of viewfinder become smaller. If i put move the switch DOWN, i look through the viewfinder it become more sharp. So i move the switch Up, Mid, Down?

tune it till u get sharp image from your viewfinder....

and just leave it there... you shouldn't need to adjust it any more....

what you want to achieve is nice "bokeh"

google "bokeh" to find out more about it

you need minimum "depth of field" to achieve this
you will need to set your camera to aperture priority mode
select the smallest f number you can
focus on your mother normally and the background will become blur and your mother sharp
do note the shutter speed that the camera chooses, if it is too slow then increase your ISO speed to make the shutter speed higher

if the depth of field is still too great
then increase the focal length (zoom your lens) to 55mm
and decrease the camera to subject distance (means move closer to your mother)

have fun!

Thank you all for the help again. Woot i love this forum, must worship you all. I will try it later, right now on to my Portrait drawing!!! Plus tomorrow my sister's birthday so can test out what you all teach me. ;p one more thing, how come the build in flash keep popping out even when i dun want to use it. -__- anyway to stop that thing from popping out when i take a photo?

Thank you all for the help again. Woot i love this forum, must worship you all. I will try it later, right now on to my Portrait drawing!!! Plus tomorrow my sister's birthday so can test out what you all teach me. ;p one more thing, how come the build in flash keep popping out even when i dun want to use it. -__- anyway to stop that thing from popping out when i take a photo?

if you need to shoot something like this, go for A mode, f/4, ISO400, flash ttl (rear syn).... shoot in fine mode....

the rest, learn as you shoot, shoot as you learn...

have fun :)

the camera think that there is not enough light and that the shutter speed would become too slow for hand held photography
so out pops the flash

try changing to another mode

if u're in any other modes other than P, S, A and M, u have to off the flash via the menu to achieve tt.

on the other hand, if u're in P, S, A and M modes, the flash will not pop up unless the flash mode button located on the side of the flash is pressed.

hope this helps. if u're still unsure, do read up the manual. it has everything u need to know in there. =]

The switch beside the viewfinder is the 'diopter adjustment control', i don't understand what is this. If i move the switch UP, it gets a little blur and the size of viewfinder become smaller. If i put move the switch DOWN, i look through the viewfinder it become more sharp. So i move the switch Up, Mid, Down?

This is for people that normally wear glasses. With this, you can adjust the viewfinder to the strength of your glasses. In other words, you can then look through the viewfinder without your glasses and still have a sharp image.
As somebody else already set: use it once to make sure you have a sharp image and then leave it alone...

Thank for all your help again.!!!

read those manuals that you have so that you know more about your camera set. to get good pictures you need to understand your camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.