Need some help with flash

Shamus

Jan 25, 2012
East
Hi, just wanna ask if compatible flash can go with compatible wireless trigger?

Hi, just wanna ask if compatible flash can go with compatible wireless trigger?

Do you know what is the meaning of "compatible"? Look it up, then you'll have your answer...

maybe a yes or a no?

first, what is the brand of your CAMERA, what BRAND of flash are you using (proprietary or 3rd party) and what brand of wireless trigger are you looking at?

it's for my canon T2i, i have 2 speed light flash (Brilliant, the brand) and i'm hoping to get a radio trigger. the flash works fine on hot shoe, worth the price, but i'm not sure if it works with a 3rd party trigger and i don't have any ideal which brand to get. any suggestion? ;)

Battery Grip|Wireless Flash Trigger|Wireless Flash Transceiver|Flash Trigger|Wireless Remote Control|Battery Shaft|Shutter Release Control|Connecting Cable|Photogriphic Accessories --PIXEL ENTERPRISE LIMITED

Phottix Flash accessories

you can check out the flash wireless trigger combos here. but email the company regarding compatibility with your camera body and flash first to check for compatibility. i've not used that brand of flash before so i can't comment. and also... i'm not a Canon user

okay thanks man, cheers!

it's for my canon T2i, i have 2 speed light flash (Brilliant, the brand) and i'm hoping to get a radio trigger. the flash works fine on hot shoe, worth the price, but i'm not sure if it works with a 3rd party trigger and i don't have any ideal which brand to get. any suggestion? ;)
Do your flash devices get fully managed or do they just go "booomz" at full power? If they get managed in output power - do you want to keep it this way on wireless trigger? If yes, do have a look at ETTL features over wireless. The cheap trigger don't 'speak ETTL', it's just a trigger and you need to set the flash power manually. For triggers who can do ETTL you'll need to pay a bit more ... So define your needs.

Oh, didn't know about that. So you mean a cheap flash can only do manual? Anyway thanks for the info :)

Oh, didn't know about that. So you mean a cheap flash can only do manual? Anyway thanks for the info :)

Define cheap. For me YN565EX is pretty cheap as compared to 580EXII, and it can have ETTL mode no problem at all.

what Octarine means is that cheap triggers don't support the ETTL feature. you need to pay more for triggers which support it. usually in the region of $150-$200 and above for one trigger and receiver set.

with cheap Trigger/Receiver sets typically $20-$50, you can only trigger the flash off-camera BUT without the benefit of ETTL

Last edited:
Yup, thanks kei1309 for the explanations.
Both, the flash and the trigger, must be able to support ETTL. Otherwise the flash is purely manual.

Sigh, thanks for all the info. the more i understand, the more expensive it gets.

Sigh, thanks for all the info. the more i understand, the more expensive it gets.

it gets worse. how are you gonna hold up the Flash when it's off camera, with no other supports around?

that's simple. use a light stand (about $24).
light-stand-mini.jpg

how are you gonna soften the light and spread it?

that's simple. use a shoot thru umbrella (about $30)
umbrella-softbox-thru.jpg

and how are you gonna carry that all around?

that's simple. get a bag for it! (about $28)
light-stand-bag-2.jpg

i could go on but i think you get my point

lol.................................

anyway where could i get YN565EX? i guess its around 200?

lol.................................

anyway where could i get YN565EX? i guess its around 200?

I got mine from artworkfoto... S$200+, a cheap but pretty good flash.

yes i heard about artworkfoto, is it around bugis? where exactly is it? and thanks everyone for this info. didn't know this forum so "on" haha