Need some help with DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar202

Dec 25, 2003
North-West Singapore
pic17.JPG

Hi all, there is a black curly mark on the left side of the picture (above the lady's head)taken with a D70s with the kit lens. I am unable to figure out what caused that black mark. I check the lens, and there isn't anything obvious in it to be able to cause such a effect.

The mark appeared in all the photos taken yesteday. Your kind advice is greatly appreciated.

does this happen to all the photos you have taken? :) If it does, is it always at the same spot?

rebbot said:
does this happen to all the photos you have taken? :) If it does, is it always at the same spot?

Yes. Same spot everytime. It only happened today. (The camera is only a week old and this is the 2nd time it was used to take photographs.)

Small hair or lint on the sensor. Probably need to clean the sensor? Search for posts on doing that for more information. Some do it themselves, others send it in.

Your camera is still under warranty, send to Nikon for them to clear the dirt. OR...

You can do it yourself if you know how to blow the dirt out.

Thank you, guys! But does the dirt get in that easily? Much care has been taken to avoid this and yet.... *sob*

Redstar202 said:
Thank you, guys! But does the dirt get in that easily? Much care has been taken to avoid this and yet.... *sob*

Just be careful. Change lens at dust free area. If you have to change, try to minimise the exposure of your mirror box and do it away from dusty spots.

There is a function in D70s to lock up the mirror which allows you to blow out the dust. Use a blower and never touch the sensor.

it is very possible to be dust..
change lens with the cam body facing down. minimize the chance for the dust to get in.
btw, i was told, within the warranty, nikon will clean the CCD for free, just around 15 mins.

u can try to buy a lens pen called 'digiklear' in those proshop, and only use it to brush your CCD, I did that to my CCD and it works.

unfortunately, this is a part of life with most DSLRs (Oly sets boast their Dust Reduction System). my usual options would be to use a blower, and if that doesn't work, either
- get and use some senor swabs, or
- send back for servicing.

Your pix turned out not sharp. Are you shooting very low speed without tripod?

Take extra care when cleaning the sensor, replacing a scratched low pass filter is an expensive affair.

Hi, using another account to log in.

litefoot: The pic was taken without adjusting properly at first and hence it was blur;p

I just realised that when i switch the mode dial to A, the curly thing will appear in all the pics. When i switch it to other modes like auto etc, the curly thing is not there. Why is it so strange??:think:

Trumpf said:
u can try to buy a lens pen called 'digiklear' in those proshop, and only use it to brush your CCD, I did that to my CCD and it works.

Lens pen can be used to clean the sensor?

Dust free place??? Maybe u need to go to those semicon fabs and use their clean room to change lens. Sorry OT a bit.

Sukoo said:
Lens pen can be used to clean the sensor?

I think he was referring to the brush part of the pen. DON'T TRY IT PLEASE. You'll end up introducing more dust onto the sensor than doing any good.

n0d3 said:
I think he was referring to the brush part of the pen. DON'T TRY IT PLEASE. You'll end up introducing more dust onto the sensor than doing any good.
It's explained in the manual why a brush is not recommended, guess many don't read their manuals :)

Will be sending in for cleaning... will ask them why it is like tat ;p

Thanks everyone for the advises :D

Status
Not open for further replies.