Need some help regarding recording SCV programs via dvdr recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
just trying my luck to see if there are home theatre experts here.

posted here in clubsnap, and also in hwz and xtremeplace.

I'm sorry to bother you guys but seriously need some technical advice, or if you guys know of reliable technicians who goes to home to settle such tedious connection issues, please recommend me too, i dun mind paying for such services if they got the job completed. i have done search on google, hardwarezone and here but have no threads on specific technical instructions. also have followed instructions on the product manuals but to no avail.

I've got a new LCD TV and a DVD recorder (didn't get the starhub one as i wanted one that can record onto hdd as well as discs). to my horror, the old CRT TV get spoilt while trying to figure the connections by plugging in and out (hence the new LCD TV).

on delivery of the TV, the courts guy didn't complete the job as they can't get the dvd component to work and ask me to look for starhub (but well even the dvd player is not playing on the TV). i subsequently tried again and got the dvd player to play and show on TV, but i can't get the recording part done as SCV programs are not shown on the TV via the dvd. for those that are technically inclined, i hope what i described can give you guys some inkling of what and where goes wrong.

the gear i have include
1. the starhub digital set-top box with two AV out components (2 x red-white-yellow cable ports)
2. LG RH1777s dvd recorder and player with internal HDD
3. Samsung LA26R7 LCD TV

the connections and settings i have made are

1. set-top box (1st row of red-white-yellow) to TV AV-in (red-white-yellow)
the AV channel on TV plays SCV programmes which i can watch

Diagram 1
TV.jpg

diagram from TV manual: connection panel on the back of the TV (coded 1 in the diagram: AV-in)

2. set-top box (2nd row of red-white-yellow) to DVD player AV-in (red-white-yellow)
think got a problem here, as described after the problems with setting in 4.

Diagram 2
DVD.jpg

diagram from the dvd player manual: (please ignore the part of the diagram on the TV)
the AV-in (red-white-yellow) ports connecting to the SCV set-top box are as shown on the top most part of the rear of the dvd player
the dvd player front has another AV-in 2, same thing as the rear.

3. DVD player AV-out (red-white-yellow) to TV component-in 1 (red-white and green color Y-port)
component-in 1 has 5 ports: red, white as well as red (Pr), blue (Pb), green (Y)
i have a red-blue-green component wires but find that they cannot replace the yellow cable
from component 1 channel on TV, i can play dvds in the dvd player and watch it on TV

the TV component-in 1 and 2 are similar, each of them have 5 ports, red/white port + red/blue/green (Pr, Pb, Y) port

i followed the instruction and connected the RGB component cables (coded C in the 2nd diagram) to the TV component-in 1 (bottom-most in 1st diagram), but seems not to make any changes.

I then connect the red-white-yellow cables from AV out of the dvd player (coded A in the 2nd diagram) to the TV component-in 1, but realised there is no yellow port for me to insert on the TV, so i plug in the yellow cable to the green port and the red/white cable to the red/white port (bottom most in 2nd diagram). this allow me to switch to component 1 channel on TV and watch dvds play in the dvd player.

4. settings
from the menu settings of the dvd player, shown on the component-1 channel on the TV,

DVDauto-programming.jpg

i have auto programming to hunt for TV channels.
it did not pick up any SCV channels
(for watching SCV channels, i can see it on AV channel connected directly to set-top box, but on the component-1 channel connected between the TV and the dvd player, there is nothing except a fuzzy screen)
the auto-programming either picks up no channels, or picks up a single channel 8 or channel news asia that is very fuzzy.

likewise, the TV menu shows the channel icon to be greyed out,
TVchannelicon.jpg

and that is the problem, i suspect somehow the dvd player is not picking up the SCV channels, which in this thread in hwz, http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1638340&referrerid=207238, people say this dvd player can record from SCV. so i need help in this aspect.

really hope someone who have used this dvd player can teach me how to correctly connect SCV to the dvd player and how to see it on the TV.

Have been recording off SCV to my DVD recorder for a long time.
It works.
Then dub off HD recorder to DVD for keeping.
Easy.

The SCV employs a scrambled code transmission.
This is to beat people who buy unauthorised boxes from Sim Lim or other place and to watch SCV for free. That is why you have the small box decoder supplied by SCV.

Because of this, you can only record off 1 channel typically channel 67.
But from this 1 channel, you can watch any SCV channel you like.
So you can port the SCV TV shows off this one channel to your HD recorder.

Your HD recorder also can tape directly off local free to air channels 5, 8, CNA, U channel etc...
Each of these can have its own dedicated Channel number in the HD recorder.

but my problems are

1. the "TV" channel on TV via the TV auto-programming can only picked out lots of fuzzy channels, and the "component-1" channel on TV (connected set-top box to dvd AV-in, dvd AV-out to TV component-1) via the dvd menu can only 1 fuzzy channel or none.

only the "AV" channel on TV (connected set-top box to TV AV-in) plays correctly.

2. when i switched to AV channel on TV, it plays the SCV channels but does not/cannot show the dvd menu.

3. when i switched to component-1 channel on TV, it is blank blue. only when i play a disc in the dvd player does the channel plays the dvd. it does not show any SCV channels, although the dvd menu is up.

so i got a problem.
when i can see the SCV channels, i cannot see the dvd menu.
when i can see the dvd menu, i cannot see the SCV channels.

really a headache.

Your TV and DVD recorder auto-programming can only pick up RF signals, that is signals from your antenna cable, I did not see any description on connecting that, so I assume this would be the reason the auto-programming 'malfunction'.

I am sure your starhub digital set-top is connected to your wall cable antenna point, via a thick black cable(sometimes white). I do not own a starhub STB, does your STB has an antenna/RF output? If yes, connect it to your DVD recorder's RF/antenna input, cables usually provided, if not you will have to buy one.

After making the antenna connection from your STB to the DVD recorder, you should be able to perform the auto programming now.

I don't quite understand your description on the AV connections part:sweatsm:. But just remember you have to connect the same colour connector on the DVD recorder to the same colour connector on your TV.

White colour connector is your left channel audio, red colour is your right channel audio.
Yellow colour connector is your composite video.
The green, blue and red connectors under the component video cluster are your component video, YPbPr. They have to be used together to produce the right picture.

Component video picture quality is better than composite video(yellow). But since I read that you only have yellow output connectors on your starhub STB, you should connector your STB yellow output to your DVD recorder's yellow input. Then locate the yellow output on your DVD recorder and connect it to your TV's yellow input.

Composite video(yellow) and component video(YPbPr, the green, blue and red) are different signal formats, hence you cannot mix them.

But I would also suggest you make another extra connection from your DVD recorder's components video out put to your TV's component video input, to enjoy the better video quality while watching DVDs. Alternatively, if your DVD recorder and TV both have HDMI connectors, use it to enjoy the high definition picture quality(program dependent)

You can record SCV program provided the following :

1) You can record n watch one channel at a time!
2) No auto on SCV channels, only those free to air one can. Manual program SCV channels with the setup box is on n at that channel! Esp during you sleep....
3) Your SCV box need to output video to your DVD Recorder n from your recorder, you need to connect to the TV to watch via RCA.

So, if you really wanted so badly to watch/record SCV program, u better get those thomson DVD-recorder n sell away ur current one. But be warn, that thomson recorder seem like having problem n if u stay in the east, u r safe cause the SC at hougang!

So, in the end, the choice is urs. Very simple setup la, no worry. ;)

If you are still confused, I can sent you a STB, DVD recorder to TV connection guide. But thats specific for the brand that I worked with. Alternatively, you can go online and look for the USA version of your LG recorder model, download its user manual. It usually comes with a detail connection guide due to market requirement in the states.

thanks for all the replies. really appreciate becos this is a kopitiam thread.

after sorting on various forums, i believe there is a few issues.

1. i didn't set cables for set-top box TV-out to DVDR RF-in, DVDR RF-out to TV RF-in. but this i think only affect the aerial channels (non-SCV channels). i will get the cables still tomorrow.

2. the TV panel only have 1 x AV-in (red-white-yellow) and two other component-in (red-white, red-blue-green) thereby limiting me in putting the supposedly correct setup.

3. despite of having only 1 x AV-in on the TV, putting the DVDR AV-out to the TV AV-in also makes no changes. which means i must have not got the DVDR settings right, or the DVDR itself is faulty. guess i will sort it out with LG tomorrow for help.

got some pictorial illustrations (trying to make it easier to communicate with others who is trying to help me on other forums) that sort of explained how i set the connections up.

the dvd has
- 2 x AV-in (red-white-yellow)
- 1 x AV-out (red-white-yellow)
- 1 x composite/progressive scan out (red-blue-green)

i thus connect the red-white-yellow from the set-top box to the dvd via the topmost panel in the dvd rear (AV-in). this should be correct.

DVD03_edited-1.jpg

the TV panel only has 1 set of red-white-yellow AV-in (which may be the real problem, not sure)

TV3copy.jpg

i connect the set-top box to this AV-in ports (red-white-yellow) and got to see SCV channels on the AV channel of the TV normally. but this AV channel (direct between starhub and TV without the dvdr connected in between in this connection) does not allow me to record anything. if i press record, the dvdr will record some unknown aerial channels that is fuzzy (fuzzy cos i have't got a RF cable inserted). it also mean that my settings is as such that the dvdr is not recording from any SCV channels.

with the only red-white-yellow AV-in on the TV, i tried to connect the AV-out from the dvdr to this ports, but again the LG menu (now appearing on the AV-channel) again shows only the fuzzy aerial channels or the disc that is being played in the dvd, but no SCV channels are seen on the AV channel connected now via the dvd.

now with the only red-white-yellow ports on the TV being used up and not useful even if i connect dvd AV-out to it, i greyed it out for simplicity. also the other two red-white ports without the yellow port (audio-out, DVI-in HDMI 2), i also grey them out as they are probably not relevant.

so the left is the dvd, the right is the TV

DVD04copy.jpg
TV4.jpg

for the dvdr part
1. the red-blue-green port on the dvdr does not seem to change anything when i connect accordingly to the TV.
2. the red-white-yellow AV-in on the dvdr is connected to the set-top box which is correctly done. i grey it out.
3. there is only one red-white-yellow AV-out on the dvdr, which is all i need too.

for the tv part
1. the greyed out portions are as mentioned above.
2. i'm left with the 2x component-in ports, which is red-white and red-blue-green. so this part makes me persplexed as to what i'm going to do. does that mean this samsung 26" LCD panel does not allow such setup? but even if i connect the AV-out from the dvdr to the only red-white-yellow AV-in, still dun work, so i guess it is not the TV that is got something wrong, but probably with the dvdr, either it is faulty or i didn't do the correct setting.

RCA cable = 3 colors - Yellow [video], Red [audio] and white [audio]
Component cable = 6 colors cables for better video/sound quality

You should categorise your devices as follows:
1. TV as output device only ( so only accept inputs )
input from
a. RF in ( from Tv OUT from Starhub box ) <-- this will allow you to watch local channels at default input channel
b. Av in ( from Av 1 from Starhub box via RCA cable ) <-- this will allow you to watch Starhub channels
c. Component in ( from Component out of DVD Recorder )
note : toggle input select option of the TV remote for the above options. If you never connect 1a, you cannot see local channels except via Starhub digital box

2. Starhub Digital Box
input from
a. CABLE in ( from Starhub cable TV point from Wall )
output to
b. AV 1 ( see 1b )
c. AV 2 ( to DVD recorder via RCA cable )
d. TV OUT ( see 1a )
note : you need 2 set of RCA cables.

3. DVD Recorder
input from
a. AV in ( from Av 2 of Starhub digit box, see 2c ) <-- this will allow you to record Starhub channels
output to
b. Component Out ( to Component in of TV, see 1c )
note : Why dun use Av out to TV ? Becoz' your TV only has 1 AV input which already used by Starhub Digital box. Moreover component cables are better quality than RCA.

did try this combination as salesman taught.

red/white RCA: DVDR AV-out to TV component-in 1
red/blue/green composite: DVDR component-out to TV component-in 1

but didn't work.

someone told me i must set the dvdr to record from AV from a button on the dvdr. but somehow couldn't find this button and also no mention of the setting with regards to that in the instruction manual, neither can i find on the dvd menu. waiting for LG people to come to take a look.

RCA cable = 3 colors - Yellow [video], Red [audio] and white [audio]
Component cable = 6 colors cables for better video/sound quality

You should categorise your devices as follows:
1. TV as output device only ( so only accept inputs )
input from
a. RF in ( from Tv OUT from Starhub box ) <-- this will allow you to watch local channels at default input channel
b. Av in ( from Av 1 from Starhub box via RCA cable ) <-- this will allow you to watch Starhub channels
c. Component in ( from Component out of DVD Recorder )
note : toggle input select option of the TV remote for the above options. If you never connect 1a, you cannot see local channels except via Starhub digital box

2. Starhub Digital Box
input from
a. CABLE in ( from Starhub cable TV point from Wall )
output to
b. AV 1 ( see 1b )
c. AV 2 ( to DVD recorder via RCA cable )
d. TV OUT ( see 1a )
note : you need 2 set of RCA cables.

3. DVD Recorder
input from
a. AV in ( from Av 2 of Starhub digit box, see 2c ) <-- this will allow you to record Starhub channels
output to
b. Component Out ( to Component in of TV, see 1c )
note : Why dun use Av out to TV ? Becoz' your TV only has 1 AV input which already used by Starhub Digital box. Moreover component cables are better quality than RCA.

did try this combination as salesman taught.

red/white RCA: DVDR AV-out to TV component-in 1
red/blue/green composite: DVDR component-out to TV component-in 1

but didn't work.

someone told me i must set the dvdr to record from AV from a button on the dvdr. but somehow couldn't find this button and also no mention of the setting with regards to that in the instruction manual, neither can i find on the dvd menu. waiting for LG people to come to take a look.

Ensure
- Select TV input to your DVD record channel, you should see the DVD menu
- Select DVD recorder input, you should see Starhub channel

You are ready to record

thanks for those who have replied and offered assistance. i have gained a lot of knowledge.

after the LG technician came, it is realised that the newly bought red-blue-green composite cables are faulty. fortunately i have extra red-white-yellow RCA cables, so he plugged in

R/W + R/W/Y cables from DVDR's AV-out and composite-out into
R/W + R/G/B ports on the TV's composite-in.

it works!

subsequently i have the composite wires changed, and it also works. so case closed.

tell the brand of the faulty composite cables
so that others do not suffer same

tell the brand of the faulty composite cables
so that others do not suffer same

daiyo. from courts. but this is likely to be rare as the courts salesmen is surprised to hear that too. more often for wires and stuff, you get poor quality uniformly rather than failure of one sample.

i am using daiyo for my RCA, compoment and i think HDMI connectors leh... so far so good and reasonably priced.. Samsung LCD and DVDR... straight forward to set up.. the only think i lost is the volume control from STB ... cos i am using the component cable to the TV, but never connect RCA :(

thing is, is anyone getting intermitten silence while watching on HD STB ? dunno if it is the audio cable or a problem in the transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.