Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

Status
Not open for further replies.

intosite

Jul 25, 2005
Hi,

I dunno if this is the right place, but i think i'm still a newbie when it comes to lens...

I'm planning to get a d200 (would love to get the d2x or canon 1d mk2) for its focusing speed (reviews i read) and continous shots i can take....

Thing is i'm on a tight budget, and i rather speed more on the body now and just make do with a cheap lens that gives you the run for your money. I've read that can get a secondhand kit lens for about $80 and i don't really mind but need some more views on it or recommendations before i commit...

So if anyone has any recommendations pls feel free to contribute...

Also if anyone has any strong objections to the D200 pls raise it, i've read of the d200 having some banding issues with high contrast shots , http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D200/D200A.HTM ... Anyone has this problem? Also standard warrenty is 1 year, any idea where can i get it extended and for how long and how much... I would think i will keep this cam till as long as i can and wish the most out of it...

Thanks alot again...

Cheers :)

You may get faster feedbacks in the Nikon sub-forum.

If you are only a budget, I would advise you to work out your shopping list first. D200 costs 2900-3k, but you will very easily spend another 1k on accessories such as bag, dry cab, memory card, tripods, lens etc etc.

The D200 body is a very good choice but you would be doing it a great injustice if you were to just use a cheapo lens on it. ($80?? are you sure?? :sweat: )

A cheapo lens will not be able to give you great pictures, no matter how fantastic your camera body is.

You are probably better off budgeting more money for your lens and getting an reasonably good body (eg D70).

As for extended warranties, I only know of Harvey Norman which offers that option.

Good luck with your shopping!

like what hobbes said. i think you are saving your money at the wrong place. the body is not your first piriority.
sucky lens with a heavenly body=very bad photos.
very good lens with average body(350D or D70)=wonderful pictures.

satay16 said:
like what hobbes said. i think you are saving your money at the wrong place. the body is not your first piriority.

I second that...

satay16 said:

Agree with satay16's advice. Read Bjørn Rørslett's summation on Nikon D200 here which uses the phrases like "unforgiving image recording instrument" ... "obviously - requires using the best lenses" and "If you try to use mediocre lenses on the D200, you'll be rewarded with a corresponding result" and "plan for adding better quality item to your lens line-up, if you have not already done so"

Better to get good lenses before you move on to better body.

intosite said:
Hi,

I dunno if this is the right place, but i think i'm still a newbie when it comes to lens...

I'm planning to get a d200 (would love to get the d2x or canon 1d mk2) for its focusing speed (reviews i read) and continous shots i can take....

Thing is i'm on a tight budget, and i rather speed more on the body now and just make do with a cheap lens that gives you the run for your money. I've read that can get a secondhand kit lens for about $80 and i don't really mind but need some more views on it or recommendations before i commit...

Also if anyone has any strong objections to the D200 pls raise it, i've read of the d200 having some banding issues with high contrast shots , http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D200/D200A.HTM ... Anyone has this problem? Also standard warrenty is 1 year, any idea where can i get it extended and for how long and how much... I would think i will keep this cam till as long as i can and wish the most out of it...

Thanks alot again...

Im not sure that is teh way to go, u cant really use a cheap lens on a camera with so many MP, it could ruin your pics, for more Mp u need gd quality glass and i very much doubt you can get a kit lens for 80 bucks

intosite said:
Hi,

Thanks alot again...

I would like to say something but it seems like there's nothing much more I could say. All of them have already raised the points I would have made too.

You're probably better off with a D70s body and a better lens for the amount you're going to pay for the D200. Focusing is fast but not much faster than D70s if you're using AF-S lenses like the kit lens or the newly released 18-200VR. For faster lenses, D70s is not slow too. What I would considider truly fast and accurate would be the D2X.

Why would you need 5fps? And if you're going to use a cheap lens anyway, why would you require 10mp?

I would say get both a good body and a good lens (or more). It's easier to say, of course.

In the non-digital era, it's always a good lens first... lens before body, etc.

In the digital world, the body does make a big difference in the equation.

yyD70S said:
I would say get both a good body and a good lens (or more). It's easier to say, of course.

In the non-digital era, it's always a good lens first... lens before body, etc.

In the digital world, the body does make a big difference in the equation.
It makes a difference.. IF, the resolution of the lens exceeds that of the sensor. That is definitely not the case for the kit lens (I'm assuming 18-70). The resolution of the lens is just enough (mai hiam buay pai) or slightly short for a 6mp sensor but definitely falls behind for a 10mp sensor.

lsisaxon said:
It makes a difference.. IF, the resolution of the lens exceeds that of the sensor. That is definitely not the case for the kit lens (I'm assuming 18-70). The resolution of the lens is just enough (mai hiam buay pai) or slightly short for a 6mp sensor but definitely falls behind for a 10mp sensor.

definatly, a good body and 'crap' lens is not a good combination, i sugegst you go for the d70 with kit lens first, then u can always sell the body off and get a d200 when u have better lenses

Yeah i think i understand i would need a good lens, but i'm budgeting to get one around $1k in the next 3-6 months, so for now i think i'm ok for a 'crappy' lens. Think after i get the 'better' lens, the next 3-6mths i would get a good tele photo lens, and next would be a wide one.

I'm not planning to stick to a cheap one for long, just one enough for me to get used to the cam and no be afraid of getting it all batted up. :)

Thanks for your worries :)

I'm actually using a canon Pro 1, bout 8mths, and i can't stand the small sensor causing all the noise....

How do you differtiate the lens made by nikon for digitals and non digitals?

Cheers

intosite said:
Yeah i think i understand i would need a good lens, but i'm budgeting to get one around $1k in the next 3-6 months, so for now i think i'm ok for a 'crappy' lens. Think after i get the 'better' lens, the next 3-6mths i would get a good tele photo lens, and next would be a wide one.

I'm not planning to stick to a cheap one for long, just one enough for me to get used to the cam and no be afraid of getting it all batted up. :)

Thanks for your worries :)

I'm actually using a canon Pro 1, bout 8mths, and i can't stand the small sensor causing all the noise....

How do you differtiate the lens made by nikon for digitals and non digitals?

Cheers

The Nikon "DX" lenses are made for digital, most of the others are compatiable with both film and digital

Pardon me, but I don't understand the need to buy expensive equipment when you have to compensate by getting crappy lenses... Is it for boasting rights?

Why don't you get an average body and a good lens and when you are really better in your photography, then you consider upgrading?

As a newbie, a lot of the functions of the D200 will not be used by you anyway. As most of the bros have said, it defeats the purpose of getting a good body only to buy a crappy lens. It's the lens that makes the picture, not so much the body.

Of course, it's your money and you can spend it anyway you want... but since you asked for advice, I have given you mine.

The gist of it, get a simpler body but better lenses... you can learn more from that than getting an expensive body and a crappy $80 lens.

Hi intosite,

Don't worry so much. Concentrate on taking pictures. In time, you will know yourself when you have outgrow either the lens or the body or both. Then it's time to move on.

This tight budget thing... is really a problem.

I was also THINKING to get a D200 which is not cheap and then afterthat must buy a memory card. At least Lexar Pro or Ultra2 or Extreme3 ( not cheap these cards ). Somemore must be 2G. Wa lau! more expensive than I thought. Then they say since can't afford too many lens, then just 18-200 VR all rounder but that lens not only got to que up but cost $1200 or more. Then need to buy filter(s), polariser lah, cheap filter also no can do. Then they say must buy one camera bag, heavily padded type like Lowee or Crumpy.. all cost above $100, so ex. Then must buy dry cabinet to store the camera, nothing less than electric type.

Then got also to buy tripod, cheaper flimsy one also cannot. Then must get ballhead. Must be strong must be ... aiya not cheap man. Then they say must have powerful computer.. then must have large harddisk.. then must have Photoshop... better change my CRT to LCD .... then, then no money how.

Thinking now better get a F11 or Olympus 700/800 series then no so many problems.

Just my own scary thoughts. Well hope you get your D200. :)

Regards,

Not very sure of your style and what would you prefer to shot as this would tell you what lens you would need. Do you really need the D200 image details?

You are using the canon Pro 1, and don't like the noise, what make you think that D200 can handle better noise? This part I am not very sure. :(

Beside that D200 power plant is one of the major weak point now. D50/D70 are much better.

There are a lots of canon 350D and 10D/20D as well as D50/D70(s) in B&S have you consider that?

YMMV

Cheers

Noise control isn't that bad...

I accidentally shot a few pics in ISO 1600 the other day and it was much better than when I was using a D100.... cleaned up with PS and it was pretty usable (esp if you are only using it for the web)

But as mentioned, if you are using lower end lenses, this camera will pick on the flaws. If you wish to go budget, then use primes. And remember to get spare batteries.

yup... D200 is a battery sucker... it sucks all your batteries till dry dry man.
i left my battery in the compartment and left it for a few days... it drains up the batt man.. btw.. its switched off, not TURNED ON. so.. it tells you.. it needs more batt... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thanks for all your advice... I'm taking them into consideration... :)

Will go down to the shops and give the above mentioned cams a try..

Does anyone know the shops at penisula are opened on Sundays? Like to drop by tom... Also anything thing i should be careful or look out for before i purchase anything?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.