Need some help picking a new camera

xathle

Dec 15, 2010
Hello there :)

I know that it isn't really a good question to ask which dslr I should get, but I have a rough idea of what I need, I just need some opinions and it would seem to make sense to tap into the experience many of you here have in buying cameras.

I am looking for a dslr within the starter/semi-pro region, and initially decided on the nikon d90. However, I realised that I didn't really need the video function. I know some cameras offer the live view function as well, and I don't think I really need it too. My preference lies with nikon, though I think canon will serve me fine as well. Do any of you have any better suggestions, or will the d90 serve my needs well enough? I am hoping not to break the 1.5k mark with lens.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

1. Have you even read the "What DSLR to get?" thread?
2. Almost every DSLR out there now has video and live view. It's up to you if you want to use it.
3. ALL DSLRs will "serve you well". Do not overlook Pentax and Sony too, they offer quite a good amount of bang-for-the-buck - you can get things like in-body VR (no need for VR lenses), fast autofocus in liveview (comes in handy for concerts/events), etc.

1. Have you even read the "What DSLR to get?" thread?
2. Almost every DSLR out there now has video and live view. It's up to you if you want to use it.
3. ALL DSLRs will "serve you well". Do not overlook Pentax and Sony too, they offer quite a good amount of bang-for-the-buck - you can get things like in-body VR (no need for VR lenses), fast autofocus in liveview (comes in handy for concerts/events), etc.

Hello rashkae, yup I have read the thread a few times, but it doesn't really help me to narrow my choices down much. As for brand wise, it's just a personal preference of mine but I feel more comfortable using the two main brands, seeing that I have mostly borrowed and been playing with these two major brands, and I prefer the ergonomics of nikon slightly more. I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice and regretting my purchase later on.

I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice and regretting my purchase later on.

There is no "wrong choice". And you will only "regret" if you are the impressionable type who really thinks that only C and N can give good photos, and you pick a brand that your "friends" aren't using. Say they mostly shoot C and you buy N, if they are just gearheads and not photographers they will go "why buy Nikon arh?" etc etc. These guys are normally very insecure about their gear and just need to target someone. Be thick-skinned and the mature one and ignore those type of people. They think buying a certain brand makes them better. Pity them, do not be influenced by them.

Honestly? If you buy a DSLR that suits *you*, with ergonomics that *you* like, then do NOT care what others say. At the lower end of the budget spectrum, all DSLRs give similar image quality. There are differentiators that Pentax, Olympus and Sony try to bring in like in-body IS/VR, fast AF in live view, 10fps, etc, but not between Nikon and Canon. Aside from ergonomics they're very similar in capability, so buy the DSLR that meets your budget and feels "right" in your hands. That's how I made my camera choice, and I don't care what others say.

Remember, there is NO "wrong choice" unless you pay $1k for an old 350D or some nonsense like that.

Last edited:
Capturing light is nothing that requires any specific brand. If 'main brands' make you feel comfortable then you are already a victim of marketing. Free yourself from that stuffs, make your own decision. Nobody can tell from looking at pictures which camera or lens was used. And people looking at gear will fail to see the pictures :) Try all brands and you might be surprised what they can offer.

If you have settled for Nikon, then have a serious look at D7000, I operate a 300s and my wife has a 7000, the 7000 has exceeded the performance of 300s in many areas.

But like others suggested, do check out other brands, they are just as capable. :)

true enough.. all brands produce great camera n lenses. They are just a tools. Its u that matters. Try them out.. and see which you are more comfortable in.. u have to look into your budget as well. and if other people's comment can meant alot to u and u want to impress people with the brand ( currently ) then u can just go ahead with the 2 big brand. I hope u know which 2 im talking about. Like many had said. there is no "wrong choice" all produce great pics. ^^

Hello rashkae, yup I have read the thread a few times, but it doesn't really help me to narrow my choices down much. As for brand wise, it's just a personal preference of mine but I feel more comfortable using the two main brands, seeing that I have mostly borrowed and been playing with these two major brands, and I prefer the ergonomics of nikon slightly more. I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice and regretting my purchase later on.

In all likelihood, the first DSLR you purchase will not be your last, so don't fret too much about it.
This is far from being the most important decision in your life.
No camera is perfect. No camera is entirely useless either.

Think about your budget, and what features you think are essential to have. Shortlist the cameras that satisfy your criteria, and go try them out. Your final decision will likely be a personal one, based on something small like how the camera feels in your hands, how you like the button layout, etc.

1.5 for d90 is enough....

can top up 400 more for d7k if u wan too =)

good luck

D7000 is certainly better than the D90 in features, ISO performance, Dynamic range.
Canon D60 is always considered a close competitor
Pentax K5 is another rival camera in the same price range. Feature packed with full Weather resistant body, on-camera shake reduction, best dynamic range sensor and very good high ISO performance with very fine chroma noise. Its currently a good deal at $1500. A small camera with a range of small primes/zooms designed for digital and APS-C format.

There is also Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung with their various camera offerings.

Do check out the price list section for the prices of the various cameras.
All the cameras are good, you just choose the features that you think are important to you.

Here is a site to compare sample test photos :
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Here is the DPReview Site for camera reviews :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/

I'd have to agree with this. If you already have a preference for Nikon, then go ahead. You can hardly go wrong with any of the major brands (I'm not sure about Pentax' future though, with the sale to Ricoh -- might be worth looking into, if you're interested).

My only advice would be to set aside 200 - 400 for additional purchases i.e. don't blow your whole budget on camera body and lens. You'll probably want (as a start) a small bag, protective filter/hood, cleaning kit. Avoid the el-cheapo tripods that sometimes come as freebies though.

Oh, and 'kit lenses' are far more capable than many people give them credit for.

In all likelihood, the first DSLR you purchase will not be your last, so don't fret too much about it.
This is far from being the most important decision in your life.
No camera is perfect. No camera is entirely useless either.

I have stated this many times before. Go to the shops and try out all the brands you like, then choose the one that you feel best. All the other are secondary. All cameras makers make great cameras and other systems such as lenses, flashes, etc... and all of them are supported by third party brands.

Like what Rashkae had say, don't overlook Pentax and Sony... also don't overlook Olympus too (if not the m4/3) look to their professional DSLR like the E-3 and E-5 because those are professional bodies but selling at very competitive pricing.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome :D

I shall do a little more homework before going down to a camera shop to get my new toy! It's perfectly fine to take my time in the shop to try the various cameras right, because I always get awkward and kinda feel bad when I keep asking to try more cameras.

I would suggest going to some megastores (Courts Megamart Tampines comes to mind) and trying on their demo sets.

I would also feel a bit paiseh to go to a small store and ask the salesperson to bring down camera after camera for me to try.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome :D

I shall do a little more homework before going down to a camera shop to get my new toy! It's perfectly fine to take my time in the shop to try the various cameras right, because I always get awkward and kinda feel bad when I keep asking to try more cameras.

Ask one or two of your friends to come along and their companion will reduce the feeling of awkward...

Can anyone guarantee that you won't regret?

Even if you ask the whole of Singapore and you molest the camera 20,000 times, in the end you might still regret. My advice is to just go with your gut feeling, just make a choice, and live with it later on. Yes, you might have to sell and make a little loss, but you can always compensate by buying second-hand replacements as well to exercise a bit of damage control.