Need Some Help On Handheld PCs/PDAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi,

have some questions abt PDAs and Handheld PCs.

may i know :
1. what are the current OS used for these devices

2. what r the current handheld devices that supports WiFi internet(either built in or with card)

1. Windows mobile 2003 SE

2. Hm...quite a lot actually....I just abought a Axim X50 2 weeks ago at promo price $570 and it is a great PDA given the price....it has everything you want Wifi, Bluetooth, 520Mhz processor, Win Mobile 2003se etc etc...

may i ask where this promotion is and when it ends?

szekiat said:
may i ask where this promotion is and when it ends?

Erm....it was online at www.dell.com.sg .... the last promo was ended something like 25th of Feb....the current promo is not so attractive....$788 with 3 years comprehensive warranty......but keep lookout....they will be back sometimes later I believe....alternatively you can buy the VGA version at 900+ ;p

what i meant was,

what are the current OS/s available?

Palm OS, etc etc..?

and wats symbian?

wainism said:
hi,

have some questions abt PDAs and Handheld PCs.

may i know :
1. what are the current OS used for these devices
latest version of Windows CE is WinCE 5.0 but i doubt there are any products running on it yet. Mostly 4.2

Pocket PC 2005 is the latest version but I dare to say NONE of the PDAs run that yet.. cos it's not launched yet :D so the 'latest' would be 2003.

Then you have Palm OS 5.x.x

and also Symbian OS v9 mostly used in PDA-phones

wainism said:
2. what r the current handheld devices that supports WiFi internet(either built in or with card)
Let's see.. I don't recall many PDA or handheld PC having built in wifi. Unless you're talking about smartphones or PDA phones then you have XDA IIs and the Nokia 9500.

If you're looking for PDAs that accept external cards for wifi solutions.. any PDA that supports SDIO (in the form of SD card slots) or CFIO(in the shape of CF card slots) will be able to do this trick.

O2 mini is such an example. In fact, most PDAs that accepts SD cards would have had this feature built in. But it's still good to ask before buying. :D ;)

Symbian is just another name for another OS.. used mostly in PDA-phones.. or smartphones

Big Kahuna said:
1. Windows mobile 2003 SE

2. Hm...quite a lot actually....I just abought a Axim X50 2 weeks ago at promo price $570 and it is a great PDA given the price....it has everything you want Wifi, Bluetooth, 520Mhz processor, Win Mobile 2003se etc etc...
Oh yes.. how can I forget Windows Mobile and also Windows XPembedded..
However you won't find Win XPe on many (or even at all) PDAs.

thanx guys,abit backward on this technology...need some of this products' info lah,

where can i read up abt all these? esp using wifi on PDAs/PDA phone/Pocket PC?

yanyewkay said:
Let's see.. I don't recall many PDA or handheld PC having built in wifi. Unless you're talking about smartphones or PDA phones then you have XDA IIs and the Nokia 9500.
Not quite true... The higher end Dells, HPs and even Toshiba had been having Wifi (802.11b) for over a year now. Even the higher end HP and Toshiba has both Wifi and Bluetooth built in with CF and SD slots together :eek:

Watcher said:
Not quite true... The higher end Dells, HPs and even Toshiba had been having Wifi (802.11b) for over a year now. Even the higher end HP and Toshiba has both Wifi and Bluetooth built in with CF and SD slots together :eek:
yups. you got me there. haven't been keeping track of the higher end models for too long a time. Think it's time i upgraded myself :D

Thanks!

wainism : what kind of product info you looking for? as in research for project or to decide which PDA to buy? or maybe just to keep yourself up to date in the super fast moving PDA market.

erm...

actually cos someone asked me abt it, and then i very paiseh, cos i dunno much abt it...

so i think its to keep myself updated...

heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.