Need some help here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzw89

Nov 29, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this hobby, and I have problems choosing the RIGHT lens for myself. As a figurine collector myself, I recently decision to pick up a DSLR (Sony a350) mainly to take pictures of my collections. As a result, I need a lens that can take clear bright pictures close up because the current lens's focal length is too far and theres not enough zoom to capture my desired picture. Can anyone recommend me any lens that has the ability to satisfy my needs? I'm currently still a student, so I hope experienced people out there can share with me your experiences ane recommend lenes that are relatively cheap yet good for a starter! Thank you and I will greatly Appreciate all comments and opinions provided, regardless from fellow-starters or professionals!

You didn't mention what lens you have, so we have absolutely no idea what focal lengths or the minimum focusing distance you have to work with (on that lense).

Nonetheless, the CHEAPEST quick fix you can find is to shoot at full resolution and crop during post processing. Ensure that there's enough proper lighting and optimal exposure for the best possible image quality under the circumstances.

Next best thing is to buy a relatively good quality close-up filter like Hoya. They usually come with designations like +1, +2, +3 etc. Go to the shop and try a few different ones to see which suits your needs best.

Other options may be extension rings, reversing lenses or the simplest, but more expensive is a dedicated macro lens. Do a search to learn more about all these wonderful options.

All the best.

Last edited:
Oops! It's the basic lens included in the package when I bought A350. it's a 18-70mm zoom lens.

Oops! It's the basic lens included in the package when I bought A350. it's a 18-70mm zoom lens.

A macro lens would suit your shooting style the best. Try looking for a Tamron 90mm macro or the Sony 100mm Macro.

oh and bro, you could also borrow/rent a lens from the other Sony Alpha bron here and on the other forum.

oh thanks for the anticipation to my enquiry so far :) I will certainly consider renting in order to shortlist the lens that is most suitable for my use! As for the opinion offered by Dream Merchant, i guess there's still tons of stuffs for me to learn about photography because i still don't know how those filters and stuffs really work. Partly due to lack of resources, and none of my friends or relatives are into photography, basically i'm quite helpless by myself.

For my knowledge, is aperture the primary consideration when choosing the correct lens for close-up shots? how can i determine the focal length of any particular lens? and if possible, can anyone recommend me a secondhand shop where i can try out lenses, and also buy at a reasonable price?

Just for curiosity, i'm actually very interested in Russian-made lens partly due to their appearance. i will love to get one after seeing the pictures uploaded in one of the threads posted in this forum. Is it encouraged to get a Russian-made lens? any models in particular if i'm using it for normal use (casual shooting, holidays, etc.)?

Some Russian lenses are GEMS! You just have to know very intimately the histories and lineage of such lenses. Do an in-depth search on the net and take your time to read through and cross-reference. You will find a lot of fascinating material and a lot of junk! :bsmilie:

Wide apertures are not really a concern because most macro shooters need to close down their lenses like crazy to get any decent depth of field, but generally, most modern macro lenses are within the f/2.5 - f/2.8 region unlike the old days where f/3.5 - f/4 was common.

Also listen to what Rashkae says. He has experience with Sony systems and is a really nice guy! :cool:

Also listen to what Rashkae says. He has experience with Sony systems and is a really nice guy! :cool:

I'm a nice guy?? Dang, there goes my reputation...

;)

I'm a nice guy?? Dang, there goes my reputation...

;)

BS!

I said, "...really nice guy."

Dun anyhow mis-quote me ahhh! :nono: :bsmilie:

Dunch wolli ... I wun tell de BBQ skewer lashes alien iris and fungus nail extensions running ard out there! WINK! WINK!

Last edited:
OOI!

Mee eesh innocen kindergarten virgin eeu kno! :bsmilie:

Better not OT anymore ... sekali wait we kenar. :sweat:

would a close-up filter suffice? :sweatsm:

its a cheap option. ;p

... Next best thing is to buy a relatively good quality close-up filter like Hoya. They usually come with designations like +1, +2, +3 etc. Go to the shop and try a few different ones to see which suits your needs best..

I guess i will do away with the filter for the time being.. I have no experience about buying lenses and i'm sure i will regret if i were to buy one rashly!

Dream merchant, when you said ' .. filter like Hoya. ', does that means that you recommend this brand? haha

Actually, why not read up about close-up filters? Think of them as kind of a 'magnifying glass' placed in front of your lens, and are capable of quite good results! http://books.google.com.sg/books?id...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

On the whole, I'm guessing in your situation, they might be the best answer actually. And they appear to be your CHEAPEST option other than extreme cropping.

Hoya is one of the most established brands i guess.

Affordable and fairly high quality, that's why I recommended it since you're just starting to explore close-ups. 'Branded' close-up filters might cost you several hundred to several thousand percent more than Hoyas.

Last edited:
What do you intend to take actually? If it's just some still life & or flowers, the older Minolta 50mm Macro should suffice, otherwise, you can consider the Sigma 70mm Macro, Tamron 90mm Macro or Sony/Minolta 100mm Macro.

A cheaper alternative is to get the Raynox filter which cost about $100 or below 2nd hand and you can use it on your kit lens.

Do join us in our outings and you will be able to learn more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.