Need some help here regarding 50mm F1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

feetless

Mar 31, 2008
www.tsencreation.blogspot.com
Peace,
Hi, i got some questions to ask, hope you guys could help me!

1) im interested in wedding photography, and im going to shoot on my friend's wedding next month. im using Nikon D40X kit + 50mm f1.8 with sb600. just wondering are
my equipment decent enough for wedding photography? and what other lens would you guys recommend?

2) Im using a D40X currently,if i were to upgrade, should i get a D80 kit, or just get a 18-200 VR to use on my D40X?

hope my questions doesn't sound stupid.:D
Thanks for your help guys!

Not really able to answer yr photo questions, but my guess is focus might be wrong for teh first photo. U might hv focused on a wrong point and the shallow depth of field causes other parts to be "blurred" .

I hv never done wedding b4, but done some events b4, and i think jus with the 1.8 50mm, u might run into alot of trouble.. How u gg to shot group photos? u will hv to move very far behind one, and if u in the house or room, unless u knock down the walls otherwise difficult to take a wider angle.

I suggest u can borrow a wider lens from a friend or rent it.

Is the another photographer covering this wedding or are u the only one? I am not sure how long u been into photography, learning thru experience is one thing but covering wedding is definately not easy, so must be mentally prepared also.

am not a pro, sharing wat i think.

and hope yr wife dosent find out u posted her pic here. haha

Well, the first pic i think u focus at the wrong point, i think the focus fall on the glasses instead of the eyes or face, and at 1.8 the dof a bit thin, thus result in out focus soft image, the second click the camera focus again, since ur wife move, the cam luckily focus correctly.

* Note : look at the rabit on her shirt's shoulder, u see the first one the rabit sharp, mean focus around there, second one the rabit over the neck sharp instead.

2) U may want a wider lens , just may only cause u can make it with only 1 lens if u are good w it, but get a wide lens isn't a bad idea.

You're at f/1.8 so your DOF is maybe 3-4cm (I'm too lazy to calculate it now). In the first pic, you can clearly see the focus point is on the glasses.

Not really able to answer yr photo questions, but my guess is focus might be wrong for teh first photo. U might hv focused on a wrong point and the shallow depth of field causes other parts to be "blurred" .

I hv never done wedding b4, but done some events b4, and i think jus with the 1.8 50mm, u might run into alot of trouble.. How u gg to shot group photos? u will hv to move very far behind one, and if u in the house or room, unless u knock down the walls otherwise difficult to take a wider angle.

I suggest u can borrow a wider lens from a friend or rent it.

Is the another photographer covering this wedding or are u the only one? I am not sure how long u been into photography, learning thru experience is one thing but covering wedding is definately not easy, so must be mentally prepared also.

am not a pro, sharing wat i think.

and hope yr wife dosent find out u posted her pic here. haha
hi, actually im considered a backup photog on that day, but i wanna do my best, and this
is my 1st 'assignment' using a dslr. got any lens in mind that i should rent or buy?

Well, the first pic i think u focus at the wrong point, i think the focus fall on the glasses instead of the eyes or face, and at 1.8 the dof a bit thin, thus result in out focus soft image, the second click the camera focus again, since ur wife move, the cam luckily focus correctly.

* Note : look at the rabit on her shirt's shoulder, u see the first one the rabit sharp, mean focus around there, second one the rabit over the neck sharp instead.

2) U may want a wider lens , just may only cause u can make it with only 1 lens if u are good w it, but get a wide lens isn't a bad idea.
hey thanks for the help, so where do you think should be the correct focus point?

You're at f/1.8 so your DOF is maybe 3-4cm (I'm too lazy to calculate it now). In the first pic, you can clearly see the focus point is on the glasses.

ic, so should i decrease the dof in this type of situation?

ic, so should i decrease the dof in this type of situation?

No, you want to *increase* the DOF by closing down the aperture - maybe f/2.8

I see, then i think itz great, cuz u get to experience it and also can learn from the other photographer :)
I always look (spy) at how other ppl shoot at events, ha, how they point their flashes, how the pose ppl, etc.

The 18 - 70 zoom might be good, i myself is planning to get the 18- 200 VR, heard it is a very conveinent events lens.

Good luck to yr first wedding shoot then!

I see, then i think itz great, cuz u get to experience it and also can learn from the other photographer :)
I always look (spy) at how other ppl shoot at events, ha, how they point their flashes, how the pose ppl, etc.

The 18 - 70 zoom might be good, i myself is planning to get the 18- 200 VR, heard it is a very conveinent events lens.

Good luck to yr first wedding shoot then!

hey thanks, will try my best! better remove my wife's pic b4 she found out. anyway, i've got
a rough idea about the problem alrdy. :D

definately need a wide angle lense. Maybe I would suggest that you were to rent lense, might as well rent it
together with another body. So one take wide angle and group shots and the other take something more "creative"

Did one wedding before and was irritated by switching my lense. so in the end i just used my wide angle.

50mm can do for wedding photography if you know what you're doing. However I don't recommend it if you don't esp if the dof is accidentally set to too shallow when shooting groups. Poof messed up!
Best to stick to classic wedding lenses such as the Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 or the 17-55mm f2.8and set to P or something, can't go wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.