need some help here in naming them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennyong

May 2, 2004
Singapore
here are a few items that i require help in naming them and hope to see some help here. i am setting up a studio and these are the items that i have now. hope to see constructive discussion on how these lights can be placed and set up.

for full-time professional studio owners who DO NOT wish to share these setups here, please PM me or email me at glennyong@hotmail.com, you help would be greatly appreciated.

i am a super freshmen in studio photography, and would like to know more. have been reading up and hope to hear from those who are experienced here.

18-08-06_1545.jpg

18-08-06_1546.jpg

18-08-06_1547.jpg

18-08-06_1548.jpg

more...

#5 (how the studio is looking now... do feel free to use the image to draw to point out)
18-08-06_1549.jpg

18-08-06_1550.jpg

18-08-06_1551.jpg

and i apologise for poor picture quality... taken from a Motorola E1 ROKR....

and i have a sekonic lightmeter L358, 3 reflectors, and 2 dry cabinets, and 2 SLIK aluminium tripods... :thumbsup:

glennyong said:
here are a few items that i require help in naming them and hope to see some help here. i am setting up a studio and these are the items that i have now. hope to see constructive discussion on how these lights can be placed and set up.

for full-time professional studio owners who DO NOT wish to share these setups here, please PM me or email me at glennyong@hotmail.com, you help would be greatly appreciated.

i am a super freshmen in studio photography, and would like to know more. have been reading up and hope to hear from those who are experienced here.

18-08-06_1545.jpg

Strobe? hmm 1200Ws?

18-08-06_1546.jpg

Rear panel? u expect me to list every detail? hmm RTFM?

18-08-06_1547.jpg

Reflector bowl?

18-08-06_1548.jpg

Barndoor?

check!

glennyong said:
more...

#5 (how the studio is looking now... do feel free to use the image to draw to point out)
18-08-06_1549.jpg

Point simi? flash on stands? saw a reflector, saw a backdrop...

18-08-06_1550.jpg

should be a background light... dunno simi lai eh, anyway me no pro... but seem can adjust intensity... wide to narrow

18-08-06_1551.jpg

softbox?...

and i apologise for poor picture quality... taken from a Motorola E1 ROKR....

and i have a sekonic lightmeter L358, 3 reflectors, and 2 dry cabinets, and 2 SLIK aluminium tripods... :thumbsup:

check again

Del, thanks for your kind inputs. actually i am looking for the manuals for the 1200RX so yahs...

dun need to list whads on the back panel of the stobes, the barndoor thingy and the reflector bowls..

well. i need to know who do you actually position these equipment for a portrait shoot, or like any other model shoots u see in those indoor TFCDs or indoor fashion shoots.

the barndoor and the cosmobeam thingy belongs to the same item...

glennyong said:
Del, thanks for your kind inputs. actually i am looking for the manuals for the 1200RX so yahs...

dun need to list whads on the back panel of the stobes, the barndoor thingy and the reflector bowls..

well. i need to know who do you actually position these equipment for a portrait shoot, or like any other model shoots u see in those indoor TFCDs or indoor fashion shoots.

the barndoor and the cosmobeam thingy belongs to the same item...

actually u can search for these on the net, principles are the same... btw not who, should be where...

there is different style to it and normal are 2 light setup, top bottom, 2 side, etc...

if u really got no idea what to do with it, i suggest u go for a course...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually u can search for these on the net, principles are the same... btw not who, should be where...

there is different style to it and normal are 2 light setup, top bottom, 2 side, etc...

if u really got no idea what to do with it, i suggest u go for a course...

oh.. my bad.. theres typo error, supposed to be how instead of who...

and yah... am searching the net for more information thou... nevertheless i would like to hear from the locals here.

different people have different styles in working and methods in getting the right effects. thanks Del, for your advice, really appreciate it.

one thing, the Flash sync cord found on the strobes, are they supposed to be attached to the camera or the flash unit of mine... basically i do not know if the sync cord can actually fit in.. because the hole dun looks fitting in too..... :dunno:

glennyong said:
oh.. my bad.. theres typo error, supposed to be how instead of who...

and yah... am searching the net for more information thou... nevertheless i would like to hear from the locals here.

different people have different styles in working and methods in getting the right effects. thanks Del, for your advice, really appreciate it.

one thing, the Flash sync cord found on the strobes, are they supposed to be attached to the camera or the flash unit of mine... basically i do not know if the sync cord can actually fit in.. because the hole dun looks fitting in too..... :dunno:

some brands have different jack size for the sync cord, so u have to see which brand you are using, but to camera, iirc, should be all using PC Sync terminal, if your camera do not have that, just get a 10 bucks ISO hotshoe flash to PC Sync terminal convertor. or get a wireless trigger, either just IR, or get a RF set.

i realised my SB800 got the sync thing on the side. i will be testing it on monday... i see if it works.. heh......

thanks again del !! :thumbsup:

#3 light Bulb in reflector bowl ?? Diy? seems like a cheap way to get a good amount of light, though controlling will be tougher.
#4 Redhead - 800W as confirmed in #6. Flood to spot control to vary the beam spread. intensity increases towards spot.

#7 Seems to be a frame for bouncing light or shining light thru'. material will affect its actual use. If the material isn't opaque, you can use it in front of lights to soften further. if it's opaque, then use it as a bounce.

Oh and remember your house outlet is usually a 13amp point, so max wattage is 2700++W (13x220). Try not to max it unless you really have to. Power cables can get hot easily, so dont bunch them together; those power cables that come in drums can be a fire hazard if not used properly. Advisable not to use multisocket adapter plug; have seen them melt after long continuous usage of 1.5 to 2KW. - if you need more than 13amp, draw power from another circuit point.

Continous light fixtures get hot and fast. Use gloves and have sufficient ventilation/(air-conditioning if portrait shooting or other temperature sensitive)

Have fun experimenting.

theres a huge "YORK" airconditioner there... sure cooling one... if not cold enough i can bring in a few portable ones to "zhng" the place cooler...

well.. as u can see here. non of these items are DIY, in fact they are all supplied from CP. hahahaha.. :bsmilie:

wow.. CP sponsored you all these stuff or you bought all of them without knowing what they do?

Anyway, attending a studio lighting course or reading the manuals is a good start, you won't want to try changing the softbox and break the strobe tube in the process.

yanyewkay said:
wow.. CP sponsored you all these stuff or you bought all of them without knowing what they do?

Anyway, attending a studio lighting course or reading the manuals is a good start, you won't want to try changing the softbox and break the strobe tube in the process.

bought from CP. of course i know what they do and etc after reading the manuals.

still reading the manuals.... thanks all for your inputs.

Del, thanks alot for your help ! managed to get both the flash strobes to flash ! best part was that one was able to fire off wirelessly while the other was connected via the sync input...

it was real fun... now i researching on how to get special effects thou...

and the background is blue... sigh.. kinda boring...... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.