Need some advise on which camera to choose...

aneng

Aug 4, 2011
East Side
H ppls.. To be frank, i never owns a DSLR before.. But i wan to learn more by learning and trying out new things to get a good quality kind of photos..
So can i get some recommendations from bros n sis here to help me decide on a few choices... The other thing is it necessary for me to get myself the entry level kind of cameras?? can i simply get myself those mid-level range DSLR?? by getting so, will it confuse me alot??

I did look through some reviews on the Nikon DSLR... N somehow i tot of getting myself the second hand DSLR first... is it ok wif that idea??
I did also tot of getting the NIKON D90 or D300... Any comments or suggestions to help me?? I would really appreciate on the advise tat u all help me..
thanx ppl...

Regards,
Aneng :)

Hi aneng,

I am in the similar position as you are right now. Never owned a DSLR before. I decided to get a DSLR after playing with my friends D5100.

After doing some reading from online reviews, I have decided to get myself a D7000. About buying 2nd hand, I have thought about it. However I was telling myself that buying a camera is like buying a car. A new camera, just like a new car is untouched and all yours to discover. Just my 2 cents :p

I'll recommend the D5100. It's not too expensive, small and light, has a filp-out LCD, a D7000 sensor that can easily handle high ISOs and the kit lens is quite good. However, it's not easy to find a cheap 2nd hand one now as it is still new on the market.

I would prefer to hunt for 2nd hand deals. The true value of a camera are often neglected and misunderstood by common electronics depreciation. Being both a beneficial and sufferer of shutter count value conception, I feel buying second hand needs less money to work with.... As long as the unit is functional and not too goyak.

From my own experience (this varies from person to person), don't get an entry level Nikon; you're better off with a Canon.

Spend a bit more on the D7000, the extra controls and buttons make a huge difference once you start learning what those buttons/settings do. Nikon strips their entry level cameras of many features (some you never think of using but are useful), and trick you with a good camera sensor. Camera sensor isn't everything.

Also, lightweight cameras are good only if you stick to the kit lenses or lightweight primes (for the D5100's case, the only ones would be the 35mm and 50mm f1.8G and its Sigma counterparts). Once you add on a fast aperture zoom or a faster prime, the setup starts putting a lot more strain on your hands while you're shooting because of weight imbalance as well as improper hand grip size (unless, of course, you have midget-sized hands).

I think after the feature adjustments since D5100, both canon and nikon have a one to one match for camera body at each level.

D3100 - 1100D
D5100 - 600D
D7000 - 60D
D300s - 7D
D700 - 5DMk2
D3s - 1DMk3

The only odd ball is 1DMk4 with a different crop factor, hence let's not discuss abt it.

Entry level wise, I feel getting either brand would be good, similar goes to pentax and Sony, but I do agree that if learning photography is ur primary objective, one should start with a mid level body such as D7000 or 60D (Sorry, not too sure of the pentax and sony range) for the useful and slightly advance features.

Cowseye said:
I think after the feature adjustments since D5100, both canon and nikon have a one to one match for camera body at each level.

D3100 - 1100D
D5100 - 600D
D7000 - 60D
D300s - 7D
D700 - 5DMk2
D3s - 1DMk3

The only odd ball is 1DMk4 with a different crop factor, hence let's not discuss abt it.

Entry level wise, I feel getting either brand would be good, similar goes to pentax and Sony, but I do agree that if learning photography is ur primary objective, one should start with a mid level body such as D7000 or 60D (Sorry, not too sure of the pentax and sony range) for the useful and slightly advance features.

Agreed, get D7000 not D5100

thanx alot guys for the feedbacks... so now i have a better idea on which camera to choose on.. but still deciding on few models and also not to sure to go for brand new or 2nd hand....

hi again guys... i need some opinians from u all regarding the respectives cameras.. hopefully it would be good if u can share wif me so tat it can make myself clearer..

i do hv in mine just to get a 2nd DSLR as its diff to get a low price of the D7000 as it is still quite new rite... so i decided to get either D90, D300 or D300s...
Wat is your comments & recommendations?? thanx alot ppl..

if you set your mind on the old version. i would say that the D90 is a good choice.

I suspect D5100 noise performance is better than D90?

it's definitely better since it has the same sensor as d7000, but it lacks in-built AF motor which can be pretty limiting to some people since u can't perform AF on AF-D lenses or other screw-driven AF lenses.

If can afford get D7000 kit else the D5100...

I think TS already isolate to choices betw. D90, D300 & D300s.

Let's focus on these shall we?

To TS: Personally, I was a D90 user. The decision mindset was simple, D3000 & D5000 (back then) is about the same features as my gf's D60. It was abt 1.4k back then and I could only afford that much. Didn't know much about AF-D lens actually even though I heard about in-built motor in D90. Later I realise the real differences betw. D90 and the entry level bodies and was very pleased about it.... Until I met the big brother D300s.... It's a 2k camera back then. With a price diff of $600, I think common sense will lead you to ask if it's really worth the price. At least to me, it's really worth it. The differences, in features that I was of concerns with, betw. D90 and D300s (or D300) are as follows:

Pros
- Bigger body with better ergonomic grip (Good or not really depends on your palm size
- Wider high dynamic range possibility with wider bracketing range (D90 - 3 shots @ +/- 2 range | D300s - 9 shots @ +/- 4 range) (Do note that this is a personal choice, which I like it)
- Higher Frames Per Shot (4.5 fps versus 7 fps (6 fps for D300)) (a.k.a Multishot speed)
- Mirror up mode (Again a personal preference, I prefer to be able to eliminate camera shake as much as possible)
- Better, more solid built (Rugged with with full magnesium alloy body)

Cons:
- D90 image quality output seems to be, and other also feels, is better than D300s (or D300)

Betw. D300 and D300s, the differences are the ability to shoot video and a tad slower FPS.

All the above are my personal opinion, do take it with a pinch of salt as well. Just like Ken Rockwell, what works for him may not works for me and you.

whatever it is, just take the best that fit your budget. for my personal opinion, i would take D5100 if in tight budget, or D7000 if got more budget. both are equipped with new technologies. D90 is sit btw D5100 and D7000, and the technology already 3 years old.
for me (occasion hobbyist), using entry level camera also didn't hurt me much. i've been using D40x kit (plus 35mm 1.8 prime that bought recently) for 4 years and i'm still using it happily. i've been using D90 (not mine) as well, D90 gives you more control, but at the same time, it require you to know more of the operation, and sometimes the result get poorer than the entry level camera if the setting not done properly.
anyway, in DSLR world, the more higher end body, the more things you need to learn. if you willing to take steep learning curve, then mid-range DSLR is the minimum for you. but bear in mind that, DSLR is very expensive investment, and once you get deep poison, you will find that the body is not the most expensive part of the camera.

D3100 - 1100D
D5100 - 600D
D7000 - 60D
D300s - 7D
D700 - 5DMk2
D3s - 1DMk3

the D3s equivalent is the 1Ds Mk3, not the 1D.

Er no. D3X is equivalent to 1DsMk3, while D3s is equivalent of 1Dmk3 or mk4.

there is no direct competitor, because the 1Dmk3/mk4 is an APS-H camera.
In terms of speed (fps) and so on, I guess they are very similar.
Likewise the D3X isn't quite the speed demon that the 1Dsmk3 is ;)

Likewise the D3X isn't quite the speed demon that the 1Dsmk3 is ;)

Er... nope. D3X and 1DsmkIII are both full frame camera. Both of them have the same speed - 5fps (actually Nikon is faster in DX format)

Both shared similar resolution too (Nikon - 24.5MP while Canon - 21.1MP)

So... I would think that they are direct competitor. But I agreed with you that 1DMkIII/IV is not a direct equivalent to the Nikon's D3s, but I do believe that 1DmkIII/IV are designed with D3s in mind and as competitor because (except for the sensor size whereby Canon's are smaller) they shared pretty similar spec.