Need some advise on SB800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon D100

May 10, 2006
Hi, i'm now using SB800 but the battery drain too fast so i'm wondering what are the alternatives
1) get a 15 min charger,
2) SD-8A
3) Quantum 2x2

and i dont know what Quantum 2x2 and SD-8A are ? And how much will it cost and where to get it????
Thanks All CS user for all your advise

Nikon D100 said:
Hi, i'm now using SB800 but the battery drain too fast so i'm wondering what are the alternatives
1) get a 15 min charger,
2) SD-8A
3) Quantum 2x2

and i dont know what Quantum 2x2 and SD-8A are ? And how much will it cost and where to get it????

Wat's the batteries ratings/capacities? If u use alkaine, it won't last u long.
1) I'm using Varta 15min quick charge. Can last mi 100 plus shot with max output.
2) SD-8A is an external battery pack.
3) Quantum 2x2 also an external battery pack but can last longer. Normal for events.

Both items 2 & 3 need extra cables to mount on yr SB800.
Item 3 is very costly. Not recommend for AVERAGE USER.
You can try CP or K-13.

Hope my simple info can help....

I just check nikon site and found out what SD-8a is but to me is just a device enable your flash to take 6 battiers at one go and cost RCP $275, Quantum 2x2 on ebay selling cheapest is USD$400 that very very expensive for a student like me who have to think twice on buying a 15min charger

then it leave me to chose but to use rechargeable batteries
pls recomend me what brand should i be getting
1) varta 15 min charger
2) sanyo 15 min charger
if possible pls tell me which is cheaper cause running on a very low budget but if the price different is not too great then i will get the better one

thanks for all advise

Nikon D100 said:
1) varta 15 min charger
2) sanyo 15 min charger
if possible pls tell me which is cheaper cause running on a very low budget but if the price different is not too great then i will get the better one

thanks for all advise

both is good...

it really depends on you already...:)

sanyo charger is going for $68 with 4 batt...

Nikon D100 said:
1) get a 15 min charger,
2) SD-8A
3) Quantum 2x2

I can use 5pcs sanyo 2500, to shoot half a day wedding (with LSII PJ), only at dinner than add in the SD8A, what kind of shoots are you shooting?
If you don't need fash rechagre on flash, just buy a few sets of batteries will be more economy.

Hope this helps.

Nikon D100 said:
....Quantum 2x2 on ebay selling cheapest is USD$400 that very very expensive for a student like me who have to think twice on buying a 15min charger....

It is a good idea to use rechargeable batteries if you are currently on budget. Wait until you start taking assignement, then you may want to consider investing on a Quantum. During my earlier days in photography, I actually modified a 7.2v Ni-Cad battery pack that was commonly used for radio control cars to power my Metz flashes.

I am currently using Quantum battery packs on all my flashes and I can assure you that they save me money down the road. Plus, since I get faster recycling time using Quantum, I do not miss any critical moments.

photobum you are cool man to modify your equipment!!!!!!

photobum how you do it???? pls share with us! i will like to know very much also

Thanks for all CS member advice

MikeElliot said:
Wat's the batteries ratings/capacities? If u use alkaine, it won't last u long.
1) I'm using Varta 15min quick charge. Can last mi 100 plus shot with max output.
2) SD-8A is an external battery pack.
3) Quantum 2x2 also an external battery pack but can last longer. Normal for events.

Both items 2 & 3 need extra cables to mount on yr SB800.
Item 3 is very costly. Not recommend for AVERAGE USER.
You can try CP or K-13.

Hope my simple info can help....

Just to add on to Mike's excellent advice. The Quantum not only allows you to shoot longer but it also reduces your recycle times to around 1sec. While the 8A reduces your recycle time to about 2-2.5secs depending on the batteries you use in it.

Nikon D100 said:
photobum how you do it???? pls share with us! i will like to know very much also

You can buy a Quantum MKZ3 connecting cable and replace the female 1/4" jack to a female two-way clip connector for 7.2v battery pack (you can purchase this item from any RC hobby supply stores or Sim Lim Tower). Be very careful and take note of the positive and negative wirings.

Please take note that each Quantum battery pack comes with a current overload protection circuit. When you use a 7.2v battery pack, there is a possibilty that you will overload and 'fry' your flash. This will void your warranty.

Let look at the flip side of rapid shooting - you can either melt the frensel lens or trigger the over heat cut off if the SB has one. Manual also suggest that you could blow the flash tube ...either of which would cost you about $200 to replace. Been there done that not funny. Funny how the later model SB800 is less robust than the older SB26 - so much for advance new technology.

For casual usage would suggest more set of alkalines or use the Panasonic oxrides - which offer significantly higher current and power capacity. So in theory 1 set at about $7 could be equal to say 2 to 4 sets of akalines.

Rechargeables are great if you use them constantly, not so good for the occasssional user. the bats should not be left idle for long periods. plus set up cost is considerable 4bats, charger will set u back abt $70 additional bats abt $15++++

there is a shop on the 3rd ? floor sim lim towers they sell sealed lead acid bats and the chargers for them - with a 6v bat some wires, some wood or plastic materials, 2 screws some soldering ect you could fashion a lead acid battery ala home made quantum without the frills my guess the whole thing could be done for under 50 bucks. down side lead acid battery is heavy abt 300 to 500 grams. Good for you are handy with tools and want some thing cheap.

ellery said:
...there is a shop on the 3rd ? floor sim lim towers they sell sealed lead acid bats and the chargers for them.....

There is another store diagonally across Mega Cafe on the 2nd storey. They will help you customize your battery needs. Just tell them your specifications. The chubby owner is extremely friendly and helpful. They are open Monday to Saturday from 10:30am to 6:30 pm.

Nikon D100 said:
1) varta 15 min charger
2) sanyo 15 min charger

thanks for all advise

I'd recommend getting the Powerex batteries and MAHA charger. (Click on the top right hand banner on top of this page).

A safe advise is:
Get 11pcs of rechargable batteries(5 on SB800 + 6 on SD8A), should be able to last you a day event, depending on usage.

If you need more juices from your flash, quantum 2x2, for cheaper alternative is to DIY the battery and use it at your own risk. :)

ellery said:
Let look at the flip side of rapid shooting - you can either melt the frensel lens or trigger the over heat cut off if the SB has one. Manual also suggest that you could blow the flash tube ...either of which would cost you about $200 to replace. Been there done that not funny. Funny how the later model SB800 is less robust than the older SB26 - so much for advance new technology.

For casual usage would suggest more set of alkalines or use the Panasonic oxrides - which offer significantly higher current and power capacity. So in theory 1 set at about $7 could be equal to say 2 to 4 sets of akalines.

Rechargeables are great if you use them constantly, not so good for the occasssional user. the bats should not be left idle for long periods. plus set up cost is considerable 4bats, charger will set u back abt $70 additional bats abt $15++++

there is a shop on the 3rd ? floor sim lim towers they sell sealed lead acid bats and the chargers for them - with a 6v bat some wires, some wood or plastic materials, 2 screws some soldering ect you could fashion a lead acid battery ala home made quantum without the frills my guess the whole thing could be done for under 50 bucks. down side lead acid battery is heavy abt 300 to 500 grams. Good for you are handy with tools and want some thing cheap.

Yes, I agree one has to be careful and allow the flash to rest (not be too trigger happy).

Just to add on to what Ellery has said.

There are two types of Quantum appliances. One the Turbo which not only allows for more capacity but for significantly reduced recycle times (1sec). While the Quantum Battery packs allow for more capacity but only reduce recycle times marginally (2.5-3 secs).

If you were to DIY your own battery pack you would be making a copy of the latter rather than the former(Turbo units). The Turbo units have the same HV electronics that are built into the flash unit (so the Turbo units supply HV to the flash directly - that is why the recycle times are so short) while the Quantum battery packs are just batteries with perhaps a simple safety circuit (the flash HV electronics still do the job of converting the 6V to HV).

goto www.qtm.com to find out the differences between the battery packs and the Turbo units.

Status
Not open for further replies.