Need some advise on DSLR body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great thread to look at the pros & cons of the 2 cameras.. Kudos to those who has been subjective..

AReality said:
Scott,
I hate to see you get shot in your own foot by your own mouth.
Please refer to these posts:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

and HERE

It will not look good for you shooting your mouth off if you post more posts here praising canon again.

I hope you're sincere enough to apologise here to the people after making so much hoo-ha.

a friend told me about some hoo haa going on in this thread, and I popped by to take a look. and.... I almost fell outta my chair laughing when I saw this. :bsmilie:

AReality :thumbsup:

goering said:
For your macro needs, you can consider some filters and extension tubes. If you are serious - a true macro lens. Since your subjects are static and you don't need a lot of working distance, you may want to consider the Sigma 50mm F2.8 macro or perhaps the Tamron 90mm.

Hi, anyone know how much $ are these 2 lens respectively?

satan_18349 said:
Hi, nikon 50mm 1.8D cost around $165..you can get a BR-2A reversal ring (what Watcher said) if you want to try macro with this lens..cost around $28 only... :D

And.. where can I get this reversal ring? I asked AP but they say they don't have it...

Hi, have you tried CP, Max photo, LORDS and MS? I got mine from our beloved MO king...maybe you can PM him if he still got stocks?

Just like to say something, for you to consider:

Maybe you could ask if they'll provide you discount if you buy everything together, if not, you could consider taking things slowly, for the buying and then selling off of unused or under used equipment is highly damaging to the wallet. (But it'll be a blessing for 2nd hand goods shoppers like myself!)

If you like to shoot portraits, cars and some still life, you may not even need a very wide lens or a very long telephoto. A 'standard zoom' in the range of 24/28 - 75/85/100/105 could be sufficient. If you like to shoot wildlife/zoo/bird park and maybe some sports, you go go further by adding in a 70/75/80/100 - 200/210/300 lens. If you like scenery, go for wider lens. Some walking could save you cash... and although super zooms are simply amazing, but at long focal lengths, you'll be fighting for enough light to avoid
bluriness due to handshakes. In such case, a few steps closer to the subject and a shorter focal length to achieve a similar composition could be better. For Macros, any way you'll need a relatively expensive macro lens.

Aperture wise, you may not need the luxuary of constant apertures/bright lens depending on your shooting style. For example if you shoot portraits, you may not need the f2.8 or bigger as you may not use it due to the very shallow DOF (well, you may for the sharp eyes blur face close up from an angle shot)

And from your first post, I presumed you are just jumping into photograhy, so perhaps you could start slow and begin with some basic equipment like a DSLR, a 'standard zoom' and an external flash. After some shooting experience and knowing what you like to shoot, you could add on to your equipment when you face some limitations with your basic setup. If you take this approach, your 3-4k could very well buy you any of the entry level DSLR (Canon 300D, Nikon D70) or even the mid range (Canon 20D, Minolta Dynax 7D). And remember to factor in the cost of extra batteries, memory, remote release, camera bag, drybox and a sturdy tripod. The last thing you need is an expensive DSLR setup toppling ontop of a cheap tripod... My Dimage 5 did when I was a student, and imagine the pain. Or fungus growing on your lens.

Hope this is useful, cheers and just shoot, the camera is just a tool, it's the man behind the camera that matters. There a plenty of professionals using entry level DSLR.

Oh, just to point out another thing, You may not even need a macro lens for taking plastic models and toys. Just as an example:

266PICT0025.jpg

The above was taken at my 'standard lens' 105mm and cropped, the insert image is the uncropped version. The toy is only about 6.5 cm tall.

(pls disregard all those dust on the toy, just picked up what I have at hand)

Tnks flare.. seems like I can forget about macro first...

Eh.. where's CP, Max photo, LORDS and MS ? And whos our MO king ? :sweat:

epia said:
Tnks flare.. seems like I can forget about macro first...

Eh.. where's CP, Max photo, LORDS and MS ? And whos our MO king ? :sweat:

CP - Cathay Photo have two outlets, marina square and peninsula plaza..both at level one.

Lords - Lucky Plaza #01-79

MS colour - 711 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 #01-3501c

Max Photo - Centerpoint #04 (forgat liao but u wont miss it..gt a BIG yellow nikon sign)

MO king - Sykestang (think he still have stocks) ;)

my opinion.

let's ignore the merits of D70 or 300D.

body = get second hand (with warranty preferable), make sure you test it well and get it from someone who has lots of nice pictures taken from the camera as a sample

reason: OMG 300D body w/kit drop from initial 1850 to 1000 or so. GRR. (I pity my own depreciation).

the lots of nice pictures is to make sure the camera don't have front/back focus problems etc.

and make sure the seller is the type who babies his equipment. 8)

-----
but if I'm upgrading its to 1dmk2 (body build + 1.3x crop + raw buffer) / 20D(body build + noise + raw buffer) or Minolta 7D (antishake)...

so none of the reasons to upgrade is on any failure of image quality.

the only canon lens I really like is the 100mm f/2.8 macro, I'm using sigma 50-500 and 12-24 for the rest most of the time so its no pain in the ass to switch to minolta except that I have lots of other canon stuff...so I'm tied in. 8)

scott said:
If you want to invest long term, I would suggest you go with Canon system. It's dominating the DSLR world. It got more options for lenses than Nikon, and cheaper too. Most professional now switching from Nikon to Canon gear.

For film SLR, Nikon is the way to go, but for DSLR, Canon is.
Hello.... got wind of a little war going on around here... sigh.. it is indeed sad to see people spouting things they know nuts about here.. :cry:

Anywayz, my purpose here is not to flame/insult/ridicule/disrespect/poke/fight with Scott or any other canon ppl out there, but to hopefully, provide an educated view on this issue. :)

Firstly, scott, as what a lot of other users have commented, it really depends on the user, and what he/she prefers and of course, what you shoot.

Regarding the preferences of Canon vs Nikon by people all over the world, look around the forum, from what i know, i'm based in the US, and there, nikon reigns SUPREME for professional use... don't get me wrong as i said, for i'm a Canon digi user, and stantly lugg around my 1dmII for weddings & Sports events.

However, in terms of "Tan Jiak" or earning your living, i personally go for nikon be it in film or digital, as they DON'T Fail!!! yes.. canon lenses are renowned in their quality/contrast/bla bla.. but do take note that these were only in the recent 5 - 8 years... Nikon has been constantly been in the top rungs not only for their lenses, but their equipment also.

Good eg: You see canon digis for weddings and sports... VS you see nikon digis / flim for everything else from journalistic uses to national geog assignments.

Personally, i've worked so long with both brands and LOVE or so LOVE the digi technology of Canon. However, it's just sad that they constantly FLOOOOOOD the market with sooo many new products every 6 - 12 months from bodys to lenses with new gimmicks.. ie: i'm currently based with cnbc in NY, and the company issued 1d Mark IIs for the sports dpt already have an unannounced upgrade to a 22mp sensor from our direct distributor from canon. This would see a predicted fall in prices of the mark 2s from est 7 k sing to 5 k sing in less than 1 year.. sigh Even the 20d's considered outdated here with a 12 mp version slated to come out for the press photo dept in 6 months.. sad..
Our Reteur and Overseas dpt has been sticking to their D1h, 1Xs for the past 3 years, with them constantly not having to worry about contract renewel, and upgrades. Reliability, the F5 bodies of the D1s are AMAZING... dipped dunked, run over, shot with a 7.62 bullet, everything... Canon = :thumbsup: for as i said, weddings, sports, showing off to friends in camera shops/roads of singapore, current digital use.
Nikon = :thumbsup: long term investment, tan jiak issues, RELIABILITY, delivers when you need it to, can be in the field for 1 plus year WITHOUT servicing. (my d1hs have served me over 150,000 shutter clicks, f5, over 300,000, sent my kid to college with those 2 bodies.)

Nikon bases itself on its reliance of good ol tech. Yes, digital, they're slightly behind canon, but seriously... it really depends on how u use it, what you use it for... and not just totting it around with your friends for an outing/hanging around the camera store, doing the occassional wedding/trekking through macritchie, etcetc..

I personally carry 4 bodies with me when on assignment, and well. lenses wise, both nikon and canon are seriously on Par i feel... with Canon having the slight edge in quality/contrast, but Nikon THRASING canon with their durability and ability to deliver under constant abuse from work. Trust me. Get a canon tele zoom, and subject it through the East timor villages for 3 wks with a 1vhs.. lense = FOG, and my 1v's REWIND MECHANISM BROKE!!!!!!!!! sigh.... ended up using a FM2 and the good ol 50 1.4 non af, and 80-2002.8. however this was back in 97 where a 2.1 mp was WOW...

Ok scott... think about it, please don't start wars here.. it's simply upsetting to see ballsacks like you not knowing what they're talking about, comparing the older 300d to a d70, and then to a 20d and talking about NOISE which in my honest opinion, plagues the 20d more than the d70. and for 1000 more, the 20d is definitely in a different league.

And please la... do some homework la.... Canon lenses are slightly more expensive than the nikons.NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND Why? they have 30% more lenses than nikon, with more new techs and gimmicks built into them... i've personally given up on following this new techs, and just use what my company issues from canon. For the nikon side, our yearly eqpmt renewal consists of the usual 50 1.4, 70 or 80-200 2.8, ahhh nikon ppl, you know the rest.. this has been the staple for the past 5 years. =)

So scott... think about what you have to say BEFORE posting it please.. for you're just making a fool out of yourself and disgracing us Canon users out there with your unjustified comments.

:rolleyes:

scott said:
Why the hell should I apologize?
It's a free world dude, that is my opinion, I'm free to voice it. I'm not offending anyone.
Perhaps D70 owners feel insecure because of my opinions? well be it..

you/others can praise Nikon, why can't I praise Canon? stupid....
I just continued reading and HAD to say this...

Scott... stay away from posting pleaseeeee... you're making us canon users look BAD with all these REmARRKS.... OI.... hiaz.. it's really a disgrace having ppl like you in photography... sigh.

Yes.. you're praising canon, but not with experience. You're simply shooting off stupid remarks on Nikon to show that Canon is better., and that in my opinion, is not praise....

Oh yeah.. for you information, A digi slr is NOT an investment. ie: price never increases... if u do assignments, it's wage earning equipment yes.. but NOT AN INVESTMENT... what's an investment? EOS1v, EOS1, F5, FM2, AE-1.. etc etc...

BTW, Film's not dead. go read/look around in places other than cathay and peninsula... perhaps, go read a little in your poly's/jc's/school's/uni's/company's library. Film's still being used for major publications dealing with fashion and nature. :thumbsup:

Hence... just please stop.. your postings i see, are just making you look stupid and dumb, and upsetting lots of Nikon AND us Canon users. :blah:

For D70 users out there, a little parting shot. I recently covered an event in washington regarding the peace process, bla bla bla.. and guess what, after i had finished the usual sequence of shots, i took out the d70 and gave it a whirr on a 80-400... the editor didn't know the difference from a 1dm2, till he saw the file coding. ;) how's that for 1700 sing vs 7000 sing. =)

scott said:
If you want to invest long term, I would suggest you go with Canon system. It's dominating the DSLR world. It got more options for lenses than Nikon, and cheaper too. Most professional now switching from Nikon to Canon gear.

For film SLR, Nikon is the way to go, but for DSLR, Canon is.
Got any examples to how Canon got more options for lenses? And cheaper? Thanks, newbie here.

scott said:
You go away toll!!
you only know how to promote your D70 and always think that 300D is worse? who's the troll ? you are!
Wow... a fight? Can you try to reply and rebuke what watcher said and prove that 300D is best? I'm kinda confused to which one I should get too.

scott said:
Why bother to get D70? 300D serves me reallly well, never disappointed with the result. If you haven't owned any systems yet, how do you know Nikon is better? :blah:
In terms of compatibility, Canon wins hand down, the EF lens line up is compatible with all Canon bodies. This is not true for Nikon, can't remember the detail, but there were some lenses generation that are not compatible.

In terms of 3rd party lenses, I think you need to do research :)
Have you owned nikon before? All the high end lenses? I heard a lot on what trinity ? AF-S 17-35, AF-S 28-70 and AF-S 70-200VR. Are they better than Canon? On par ? Or worse?

Canon's EF-S lenses can be used on all bodies also? Was interested in getting the 10-22 on use with a film body that long long time ago I have, can enlighten me?

Would be great help if you can list out the lenses in Nikon's generation that is not compatible with current bodies, then I can decide which to buy if I decide to take over older Canon lenses from friends.

TIA!

espn said:
Got any examples to how Canon got more options for lenses? And cheaper? Thanks, newbie here.

Wow... a fight? Can you try to reply and rebuke what watcher said and prove that 300D is best? I'm kinda confused to which one I should get too.

Have you owned nikon before? All the high end lenses? I heard a lot on what trinity ? AF-S 17-35, AF-S 28-70 and AF-S 70-200VR. Are they better than Canon? On par ? Or worse?

Canon's EF-S lenses can be used on all bodies also? Was interested in getting the 10-22 on use with a film body that long long time ago I have, can enlighten me?

Would be great help if you can list out the lenses in Nikon's generation that is not compatible with current bodies, then I can decide which to buy if I decide to take over older Canon lenses from friends.

TIA!

nice 1 espn... nice 1.. well said :thumbsup:

come to think of it, if not for areality, i forgot scott hasn't answer his own quest abt soft images from his f4L. :think:

okie lah... to be fair, i used both systems b4. started off with a nikon FM2 (guess f5user will agree its a classic?) and now working with a used canon 10D (and i'm proud to say, until recently, all my stuff are 2nd-hand).

touched a few nikon DSLRs b4, and my pref is still with canon. pls note - ITS MY PREFERENCE! i like the user-friendliness of canon system. dat said, i'm not blind to canon's faults, of which, most are pointed out by f5user. sometimes, i wished canon din push out so many things so fast, and dat they dun 'dumb-down' the systems (eg 300D).

lenses wise, again, its like cam systems. its really up to u. for every nikon trinity, i'm sure there are many others who will name their own canon (or tamron, sigma or toknia) trinity. point is, and has been stated till death, its up to the user and see which system he/she most comfortable with. (hope the original thread starter would have understood this, despite all the lopsided trashing by scott?) IMO, all these things abt the lenses' color contrast, sharpness etc... sometimes (not all the times) are moot point becos of PS. nowadays, the PSing skills of a photog is just as impt as their shooting techniques.

at the end of the day - buy the system (not the brand) that best fits wat u want to shoot MOST of the time, not HOPE to shoot most of the time.
;p

Think scott shot himself in the foot, got infected from the wound, got his foot amputated, got scepticimia and passed away... no replies to our posts...

:D

All the guys who post in here. I will like to thanks all of you for you contrible to this thread. Sometime I feel like very paisei, :sweat: I feel like I'm the one who is causing this fight. What I want is to have more information on the cameras.

F5user, you must be working as a reporter? :) I guess you must be an old pro. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. One more thing, please don't so bad to scott. I'm just come here to learn. :cry: Will you mind to help this old Newbie with more inform? Cause I hungry for more information, advise, experiences from you guys.

Scott, if you want to post in here. Remember, please be nice.

Flare, thanks for showing me taking model without marco lens. It is very useful to me.

I will like to make this clear. I just like to know more about DSLR camera from all of you in here. I also will like to have people sharing their experience or to give some pointers to take good pictures. As I say in the previous post, each camera have their own pros and cons. I guess I must still try some of them before I know which camera to get, right?

Once again, I will like to THANKS all of you to give me so many wonderful informations in here. THANKS.

No worries dude, the basic rule to get good images is to keep shooting, you'll be very angry and pissed with your first few images definitely, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be happier, right now if you still want to talk and know more about Nikon DSLRs can feel free to PM or post in the Nikon sub-forum, regarding Canon DSLRs I only know a little bit about them so if what I can share I will.

Regarding taking good images, hang around and shoot more!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.