Need some advise on DSLR body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
epia said:
Btw, since I already have 512gb of space (not taking that much in one day), can I get a better/extra lens with the money?

And.. do I need to purchase a macro lens as well?

EDIT: Sorry.. may I know the advantages of having external flash (when there's already an in-built one)? *i'm noob* :embrass:

Hi, maybe I should repost to bring the thread back *hopefully* .. ? :D

epia, you can consider the following for the canon system:

300D with kit lens (used): $1100 to $1200
Manfrotto 055CLB with ball head :$250
550Ex (used): $450
Tamron 90 macro (used): $450
Total cost: about $2300

The remaining $$ can be used to purchase a wide angle lens if you don't like the kit lens (although some have said the kit lens to be of reasonable quality when stopped down, considering the price tag)

epia said:
HBtw, since I already have 512gb of space (not taking that much in one day), can I get a better/extra lens with the money?

And.. do I need to purchase a macro lens as well?

EDIT: Sorry.. may I know the advantages of having external flash (when there's already an in-built one)? *i'm noob* :embrass:

Wah... 512GB! That's a lot! Considering I only have 200GB in my desktop computer. :D

512MB is not that a lot, u'll need at least 1GB, or 2GB for a 8MP camera (subjective).

I always tell people to get better lens, than better body, coz of the resale value, and also not to be hit by the upgrade bug too soon. If u notice, many people selling lens which they bought together with their body. reason was last time bought body, no more $ buy lens, so buy cheaper lens.

If u like taking macro, then buy one, or you can buy extension tubes, zoom lenses with macro capability, close-up filters. A lot of choice.

Built-in flash is severely limited in both features and power. An external flash is always recommended. If you shooting with a wide angle lens, your internal flash may also be blocked by the lens, creating a dark spot at the bottom of the pic.

Oops! I mean 512 MB haha... But my mum already has 1GB so I can share with her :)

So.. the zoom with macro lens.. I searched nikon website and found these 2 .. not sure which one though.. :embrass:

HIGH ZOOM: AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [NEW] LIST PRICE : SIN$620
MACRO: AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D LIST PRICE : SIN$760

So now, what I have in list should be:
a) Nikon D70 with Kit Lens 18-70mm $1688
b) Nikon SB-800 / 600 ?
c) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 ?
d) Nikon 50mm F1.8 $205
e)highzoom/macro???

Eh... new term for me =x :embrass: Is it a tube that extend some distance before attaching on your actual lens? How much is it? Brandless?

AReality said:
Ok. Forgiven, though he didn't apologise.

Don't blame me, as this thread is a troll bait. :angel:

Dennis said:
For a moment I was tempted to reply. Than I realised we were debating with somebody who does not understand the technical aspects of photography. No point going on. All is forgiven. Thanks AReality and Zerstorer.

Are people ONLY allowed to say good things about the D70 ?

Hi, nikon 50mm 1.8D cost around $165..you can get a BR-2A reversal ring (what Watcher said) if you want to try macro with this lens..cost around $28 only... :D

With a budget of 3-4k, the 20D is not feasible as mentioned

As also mentioned, the 300D/D70 offers excellent value for money with the recent price cuts. What has not been mentioned is that you may also want to consider a used 10D

Out of the 3 options, 300D/D70/10D, I'll rate the D70 as the most value with the lowest cost that meets your needs. At $1700, with a good kit lens that covers from 18-70, you can already start shooting a wide range of subjects

For your macro needs, you can consider some filters and extension tubes. If you are serious - a true macro lens. Since your subjects are static and you don't need a lot of working distance, you may want to consider the Sigma 50mm F2.8 macro or perhaps the Tamron 90mm.

Use the remaining money for other lenses and accessories like external flash, tripod, dry cabinet, etc. For the other lenses, would advise you to play with the kit lens first before you decide what is suitable

Hi,

Nicoyap start a thread to solicit for advices from experience users. I join in to read with interest as the response begin informatively and gently, then it get a bit bumpy, then it get really rough and next it sound like “Fullujah”

It isn’t a debate about brands or about their demerits. Nico need information from those who had used the D70 or the Canon 20D before.

Give him help by revealing the facts and what you think is good about the model you are using that are within his price range.
Do not run down another model or brand.
Every camera has the strengths and weaknesses.

I think Nico got scared and ran off already. Come back Nico. There are still many forum members still trying to give you information.

In the meantime thanks to all who had contributed.

Oh thanks a lot for the information! So I can shoot with landscape, macro and general street photography with the following setup?

b) Nikon SB-800 / 600
c) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
d) Nikon 50mm F1.8D $165
e) BR-2A reversal ring $28
f) BR3 Filter

I bought a 50+ bucks tripod Tanner TR404 at Best Denki for my Oly 5060. Can I use it for D70 too? And.... do those lenses mentioned above have the same filter size? Cause they need a UV filter to protect rite? Then the CPL.. which size do I buy to fix to which ring for taking landscape? :sweat:

Consider getting a good closeup filter, such as the Canon 500D or Nikon 5T/6T and attaching it to your Sigma 70-200. The reversing thingy is nice for static subjects but gives you very little working distance.

Taken from popular photography, hope this help

The Camera Of The Year 2004
By The Editors
December 2004

Our Editors' Criterion: The camera that best refines or redefines photography

Our Editors' Choice: The Nikon D70 Digital SLR

see ? my recommendations for u are always true~ hahaha... nv go wrong.. and yes..i totally agree.. D70 is the camera of the year.. no doubt about it.. hahaha.....

hahaha....

epia said:
Oh thanks a lot for the information! So I can shoot with landscape, macro and general street photography with the following setup?

b) Nikon SB-800 / 600
c) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
d) Nikon 50mm F1.8D $165
e) BR-2A reversal ring $28
f) BR3 Filter

I bought a 50+ bucks tripod Tanner TR404 at Best Denki for my Oly 5060. Can I use it for D70 too? And.... do those lenses mentioned above have the same filter size? Cause they need a UV filter to protect rite? Then the CPL.. which size do I buy to fix to which ring for taking landscape? :sweat:

saw the tanner 404.... quite big n heavy... should be able to hold i think.... saw someone carrying the other day...with the box like bazooka...lol

how much u paid for the sigma 70-200 f2.8?

I haven't buy.. thinking of check the price at AP just 1 week before Sitex.. see if I buy everything together cheaper then Sitex anot.. :)

Wow.....

Thanks to all of you for your advise. Maybe some of them are not, but please don't take this as a fighting point. I guess we are here to exchange of idea and to learn more things from one another. As for camera, I think all of them have their own con and pro.

But don't fight over a small post like this. ok, guys? Or else I'm go to tell your mommy. heheheheeee..... :angel: :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.