Need Some Advise Lens Setup

undeadpilot

May 29, 2013
Serangoon
Hey guys, I'm going to get a DSLR before i fly to Europe for my studies and would need some advise on lens set up as this has been bugging me for ages.

I would be taking Landscape, Architecture, Street & Airshow shots.

So far i have thought of 2 combination.

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM & Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 IF-ED VR
The 17-50mm f2.8 is for the Landscape, Architecture, Street and Night Shots with the Nikon Complementing the Air Show.

Or

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 18-250 DC Marco OS HSM & Nikon 35mm f1.8
The 18-250mm is for Day shots for the 4 above and the 35mm f1.8 is for night shots.

Guys, which would you choose if you were me? Or if you have better setups please advise me.

Thanks a lot.

Option 1

Sorry... I would go for Option 2. I am a lazy lazy person, so normally I go for an 1 lens option, with needs to change lens to minimal. Because... you never know, sometime you just need the reach of a 200+mm focal length, if going for option 1, you might need to change lens.

Hey guys, I'm going to get a DSLR before i fly to Europe for my studies and would need some advise on lens set up as this has been bugging me for ages.

I would be taking Landscape, Architecture, Street & Airshow shots.

So far i have thought of 2 combination.

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM & Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 IF-ED VR
The 17-50mm f2.8 is for the Landscape, Architecture, Street and Night Shots with the Nikon Complementing the Air Show.

Or

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 18-250 DC Marco OS HSM & Nikon 35mm f1.8
The 18-250mm is for Day shots for the 4 above and the 35mm f1.8 is for night shots.

Guys, which would you choose if you were me? Or if you have better setups please advise me.

Thanks a lot.

I will go for option 1. For most of the time, I assume most pictures taken are from landscape, architecture or street. Sigma 17-50mm is a smaller lens to carry around and perfectly fits the requirements. Airshows are just annual events and therefore the longer lens will only be used only once a while.

Since the longer end is usually used for day shots, there shouldn't be much difference between the 70-300 n the 18-250 other than the 50mm.. f stop wise it would probably be a stop lesser but that's about it..

Personally would go for option 2 as the 1.8 would do better at night than the 2.8.. not that the 2.8 is a bad lens (I own a Canon mount of that and loving it).. but the 1.8 would be more crucial for night shots.. partly also cause I'm lazy :p

I'd choose option one as well.

I would chose 11-16, 50/1.8, and 70-300VR :)

hehe just to confuse you further.

Have you consider a nikkor 18-300 VR? And a SB-700?
This combination can also satisfy your need right?

kit lens and a fast fifty.

Definitely option 2
sounds like u will be traveling alot.. the one lens set up means less time changing and it's probably all u need in the day for and thing need for the travel.. the f1.8 wins the sigma anytime at night... no need for zoom in street and under low light conditions, it's better for architecture. I helped a friend with his archi model and trust me... the low lighting is a trouble unless u have a proper indoor shooting setup just for photos.

If I will you I will opt for option 1 plus 35mm. 35mm is light for travelling. Just need to practice changing lens. There is a few technique on youtube.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input, i am going for the option 1. I might need to push the ISO slightly higher for using the f2.8 lens compare to the f1.8 but i think the D7100 should be able to handle the noise.

@coolthought - some places that i'll be going can't use flash so i think using a speedlight won't be good for me.
@gnesgnoy - i'll see how whether i have enough $$$ left for the extra $300 for the f1.8. I still got to get a bag, tripod SD cards plus filters