Need some advices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi members of CS

HOYA vs B+W vs MARUMI vs TIANYA

Question: I'm planning to get some filters but theres a lot of brands in the market to choose from and i not sure which one is better for a beginner like me with full of ?????????...:confused:

1) CPL
2) ND
3) MC UV

Hi members of CS

HOYA vs B+W vs MARUMI vs TIANYA

Question: I'm planning to get some filters but theres a lot of brands in the market to choose from and i not sure which one is better for a beginner like me with full of ?????????...:confused:

1) CPL
2) ND
3) MC UV

This has been discussed 1,000 times before already. Also, you can google for "photographic filters" and read from there. Also, what you listed are not the brands, but the types of filters.

As for brand vs. brand, it's also heavily discussed, and in fact we have 2-3 recent threads on it. please try a search, don't let other people's contributions go to waste.

This has been discussed 1,000 times before already. Also, you can google for "photographic filters" and read from there. Also, what you listed are not the brands, but the types of filters.

As for brand vs. brand, it's also heavily discussed, and in fact we have 2-3 recent threads on it. please try a search, don't let other people's contributions go to waste.

hmmm... okie thank you. :)

Oh really? So why don't all our members go google? Why do we still need ClubSNAP? I'm sure all the questions posted here had been asked a zillion times on other forums. :nono:

Don't buy anything as long as you don't know what is it and why / for what you need it. Buying stuffs and asking later "Oh, for what can I use it?" is just plainly silly and is a sure way of burning money. Pass it to charity, instead.
Read up about the purpose of these filters and make a conscious decision according your photographic style and main subjects. Also ask yourself how often you would need a certain filter. Don't just follow the crowd, you only make the sales guys happy who sell UV filters like hot cake. Add 'review' to the search term and you'll get more information.

Oh really? So why don't all our members go google? Why do we still need ClubSNAP? I'm sure all the questions posted here had been asked a zillion times on other forums. :nono:

Well, I'm still being civilized, but is there something wrong with asking them to search? Teaching a new member to use the existing resources instead of opening a new thread? If there is something wrong with asking a new member to search, then why does ClubSnaps terms of use include this:

2. New Posters (newbies) - Use the Search Engine to find out if whatever information you are seeking has been posted before posting a question.

Don't buy anything as long as you don't know what is it and why / for what you need it. Buying stuffs and asking later "Oh, for what can I use it?" is just plainly silly and is a sure way of burning money. Pass it to charity, instead.
Read up about the purpose of these filters and make a conscious decision according your photographic style and main subjects. Also ask yourself how often you would need a certain filter. Don't just follow the crowd, you only make the sales guys happy who sell UV filters like hot cake. Add 'review' to the search term and you'll get more information.

okie.... noted with thanks:)

hey bro relax...

:)

Anyway, as Octarine mentioned, make sure you know what it is you really need before you buy. Many shops may try to pressure you into buying filters, but realistically, the only thing a UV filter is used for is to protect a lens. It doesn't help your pictures much at all. And ND and CPL filters are quite specialized, you may only use them once in a blue moon. So consider hard what kind of shots you take before investing in filters.

Well, I'm still being civilized, but is there something wrong with asking them to search? Teaching a new member to use the existing resources instead of opening a new thread? If there is something wrong with asking a new member to search, then why does ClubSnaps terms of use include this:

2. New Posters (newbies) - Use the Search Engine to find out if whatever information you are seeking has been posted before posting a question.

Yes that rule is put in to encourage newbies to do search on a topic before asking. But that doesn't mean it can be used by older members as an excuse to bark at the newbies whenever they asked a question. ClubSNAP is an open forum. All members are entitled to ask and discuss whatever photography topics they have in mind, newbies included.

Anyway, as Octarine mentioned, make sure you know what it is you really need before you buy. Many shops may try to pressure you into buying filters, but realistically, the only thing a UV filter is used for is to protect a lens. It doesn't help your pictures much at all. And ND and CPL filters are quite specialized, you may only use them once in a blue moon. So consider hard what kind of shots you take before investing in filters.

Thanks for the advice....:)

my question to u is...

wat ur budget first? :devil:

my question to u is...

wat ur budget first? :devil:

budget.... hmmmm:sweat: ... 100- 200?

i read some of the threads and notice one things ... if use a "cheapo" type ( tats wat they mention on the thread might spoil Len but they never go into detail why?
ya ... a lot of ?????:confused:

pls advice.. thanks:embrass:

in your first post, you listed a few brands of filter brands, then you went on to list filter TYPES.

Don't confuse the 2.
It's like going Sharp vs Toshiba vs Panasonic

and then...
1) toaster
2) oven
3) television

So do you want a comparison of BRANDS or TYPES of filter??
The type will be determined by the kind of photography you do. I doubt you'll need a GND filter for portrait photography, for example (though someone might prove me wrong!).

You don't spoil your lens just by putting a piece of cheap glass (or plastic on front). You might spoil something if you tighten to hard. You can spoil your lens with being careless and some people believe that putting a piece of glass in front (Clear Protectors or UV filters) can prevent this. I prefer care, alertness and lens hoods.
But back to 1st question: what exactly do you need? CPL? ND? GND? UV? Your budget is ok to get some decent ones but it will be wasted if you don't know what you need and just buy blindly.

I suggest you buy a good glass regardless of CPL,UV .....

Buy B+W or Hoya Pro-1D

do not get $20 filter, it's better not to have it on.

If just for lens protection, why not listen to senior suggest by using a lens hood?

Happy finding... strongly belived "B+W" brand.

I suggest you buy a good glass regardless of CPL,UV .....

Buy B+W or Hoya Pro-1D

do not get $20 filter, it's better not to have it on.

If just for lens protection, why not listen to senior suggest by using a lens hood?

Happy finding... strongly belived "B+W" brand.

thank you for your advices.

recently i got my self a lens hood, HD UV and HD CPL.:)

There are always 2 school of thoughts...
use UV to protect the lens, just 30-40 dollars nia...no big deal...
use TLC to protect the lens, save the 30-40 dollars for some other things..

no right no wrong lah...but most of the bro here is right...dun any how buy a filter which u dunno wat the function and effort it takes....always know these filter function well.....

example u like IR pic...so thinking u get an IR filter..u will get those chio chio pic...spend few hundreds to get it...but after playing awhile...u feel too ma fan...cos everytime have to screw unscrew....trial and error...and u store it somewhere until u forget abt it...thats waste of money....

Status
Not open for further replies.