Need some advice..

edmo0001

Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

I'm using Nikon D80 and here are my current setup (I used to have 18-135 which I have just sold):
- Tokina 12-24 F4
- Nikon 24mm f2.8
- Nikon 50mm f1.8

I'm looking for any lens that is bigger than 24mm/50mm for the telephoto end. I was thinking to buy Nikon 55-200mm, but I don't know if I would miss anything from 24-50mm range. I was considering either 24-85 lens or 28-105 lens too, which is more to a walkabout lens.

Anyone can advise me on which lens to buy to cover the telephoto range of my setup?

Thanks! :)

Hi,

I'm using Nikon D80 and here are my current setup (I used to have 18-135 which I have just sold):
- Tokina 12-24 F4
- Nikon 24mm f2.8
- Nikon 50mm f1.8

I'm looking for any lens that is bigger than 24mm/50mm for the telephoto end. I was thinking to buy Nikon 55-200mm, but I don't know if I would miss anything from 24-50mm range. I was considering either 24-85 lens or 28-105 lens too, which is more to a walkabout lens.

Anyone can advise me on which lens to buy to cover the telephoto range of my setup?

What is your budget? If no budget, then can try,

24-70mm f2.8 VR II
70-200mm F2.8 VR II

And what do you want to shoot? If it was for birding, then you might want to look at at least 400mm lens.

Oh ya.. forgot abt the budget. My budget for this lens can't exceed $500.. and I dun want them for birding haha~ maybe more for walkabout.. shooting buildings, people, etc.. that's why I'm considering midrange zoom also and not necessarily a telephoto lens. :)

How about 55-200 for day

And your prime for night :)

How about 55-200 for day

And your prime for night :)

Ya, was considering that lens too. Have you tried it before? How's the IQ of that 55-200 lens?

how about tamron 17-50mm f2.8?
Hmm not quite the lens that I'm looking.. I need range beyond 50mm actually. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Oya, I missed out this lens. Yep, will consider this lens too :) Thanks!

Yeah 28-75mm is an excellent lens. But take note that it didn't have any image stabilizing (OS, VC, VR) in this lens... see if you are comfortable with that.

Yeah 28-75mm is an excellent lens. But take note that it didn't have any image stabilizing (OS, VC, VR) in this lens... see if you are comfortable with that.

Ya I'm definitely ok with that.. been using 18-135 which doesn't have the VR too! haha~ Did u use that lens before? I mean the Tamron..

Ya I'm definitely ok with that.. been using 18-135 which doesn't have the VR too! haha~ Did u use that lens before? I mean the Tamron..

I'm using it, the focus might be a little slow but it's a very sharp lens

I'm using it, the focus might be a little slow but it's a very sharp lens

I see.. you're using the one with the BIM or the one without? :)