need some advice

ohnolic

Dec 4, 2008
previously gotten Lumix DMC-FX 8 and Canon Powershot a2100 IS.
as both my camera are spoil, wanted to try a better camera too~

do u guys have any new recommendation?
as i need to get 1 before dec LOL~

prefer low light, macro less then 3cm, anti shake and able to adjust for fast shuttle speed adn aperture too =DD
not gonna get a dslr as its too bulky for frequent traveling =DD

tried visiting some of the electronic stores, but they offer totally different camera~
not sure which to get..

thanks !

Last edited:

prefer low light, macro less then 3cm, anti shake and able to adjust for fast shuttle speed adn aperture too =DD

tried visiting some of the electronic stores, but they offer totally different camera~
not sure which to get..

thanks !

No camera has a "shuttle speed". Only the Space Shuttle does.

If you do not state your budget, we CANNOT help you. All modern point and shoot cameras can do what you want, but if you want some manual controls, look at the Canon S95 or S100, or the Sony HX9V.

not sure which to get..

thanks !

I hope you understand that the digital camera is not a magic weapon. Cameras still require light to record images.
Have seen too many people jump from PnS to DSLR expecting "miracles" (eg. capture kids running around in dim lighting), only to be disappointed. Hope you aren't like them.

As Rashkae mentioned, set a budget and some criteria (size, weight, features, etc), and the suggestions can be more targeted.

super macro + fast shutter and aperture + image stabiliser, all in a small, compact body.

i want one as well!

Actually for PnS, there are lots of choice out there...

1) Panasonic LX5
2) Olympus XZ-1
3) Canon Powershot S95, S100 (will be available in Nov), G12
etc.

TS could also look at mirrorless options like m4/3, Sony's NEX, Nikon 1 series, etc.

hi,

my budget is less then 800 ^^
my main concern for shuttle speed is actually the handshake.. as i have pretty bad handshake..

seriously. if you know what ISO does you could pretty well eliminate your handshake issues on a compact without the need for a Manual Mode on a compact.

also. it has a lot to do with how bright the lighting is. no matter what shutter speed you're using (Rashkae already corrected you. please go bang your head against the wall if you can't read proper english)

if the lights are really dim, a DSLR on Auto mode will still perform as bad as a compact with your handshake. the only saving grace is that the noise control will be much better on a DSLR

hi,

my budget is less then 800 ^^
my main concern for shuttle speed is actually the handshake.. as i have pretty bad handshake..

Learn how to steady your handshake then. Not much that can help you if you have poor technique. Like I said, you could go for a HX9V, or a S95 or S100 since it seems you need to get something with higher ISO capabilities. However, be aware that this will reduce your image quality.

As for the shuttle speed, they are retired already. You'll need to ask NASA.

m4/3 cameras perform pretty well as you want. Just need the right (ie. good) lenses.

However, there is no perfect camera. ISO performance is usable to around ISO3200 (YMMV) and is about 1 stop poorer than the best APS-C sensors.
Other than that, form factor is nice and small; Lenses are small and fast.
Nothing to complain about for image quality from base ISO to about ISO800 or 1600.

Otherwise, there are plenty of advanced compacts for you to choose from. LX5; G12; S90; P7000; Pentax Q

BTW, its shutter speed not 'shuttle speed' ;)

hi guys,

so sorry on the spelling... really didnt notice it. thank you for correcting me.

currently im deciding on XZ 1 and P7000

Olympus XZ-1 is better in lowlight $748
Nikon Coolpix P7000 is better with the zoom S$799

but no so sure about macro

Last edited:
Olympus XZ-1 is better in lowlight $748
Nikon Coolpix P7000 is better with the zoom S$799
but no so sure about macro
Go to Courts or any other shop that has display units, put a coin on the table and try. See what fits your needs.

I know this kinda out of the topic. but with the request the TS have... i would go for the RICOH GXR S10. with additional plus points. Full customization of most buttons, Full control like DSLR without the fuss of going into manual to adjust and can change unit if u play with other shooting range